Laundry Services

cathysmom

Hi, I'm about to pack for our cruise that's a week away...I know most of my blouse will need a good press. How quickly do they turnaround items to be pressed! Are there any day 1 specials?

Unfortunately you are crap out of luck with DCL!

I've been corrected recently that they will pick up your laundry on day 1 and return it the next day.

Pressing is 50% of the dry cleaning charge,

And I know now that any "specials" are only on longer cruises such as Transatlantic etc.

Here is a price list for ship board laundry if you do not use the self service laundry.

DCL_LaundryService.jpg

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2013/01/onboard-self-and-full-service-laundry-and-dry-cleaning/

ex techie

You can press your own blouse in the laundry room where irons and ironing boards are provided or send it out. But as above, send it one day, it returns the next.

Hint--there's not a ton to do between embarkation and safety drill after lunch. If your luggage arrives early, this is a great time to unpack and do any touch up pressing.

• 2 weeks later...
Following! I was just thinking through my plan for my family of 4! Thank you for the info!

Think knits and things that don't need to be ironed. They also have the advantage of being able to be rinsed out in the bathroom if you need one garment but not a load.

Sorry, I remember the cruise where I unpacked and pressed everything on the first afternoon so I wouldn't have to mess with it for the remainder of the cruise. Now, I figure a few wrinkles in the "play clothes" won't hurt anyone and go with non-press items for dinner/dress up clothing.

• 4 months later...
For those who wish to do laundry on their own, is there a cost for detergent and machine use? How many washers/dryers or laundry facilities are there? Are they open 24 hours? Thanks!

Detergent is for sale. I can't remember the price, but it's pretty reasonable ($1 or $2 per load). Just swipe your card. Even though detergent on board is not too expensive, we'll throw a few Tide pods in a bag before we go on our trip. There is laundry on most decks of the ships. I can't remember if they shut down at certain hours. From what I recall, the doors always seemed open (but we aren't up and about very late).

For those who wish to do laundry on their own, is there a cost for detergent and machine use? How many washers/dryers or laundry facilities are there? Are they open 24 hours? Thanks!

I believe soap was $2 and $2 for boxes with 2 dryer sheets. I personally recommend putting a couple of the new laundry pods (tide, gain, arm & hammer now all make them) along with a few dryer sheets into a Ziploc and packing it if you even think you'll need to do laundry.

The rooms are open 24 hours, they are not on every deck, and they use your key card to charge (no change). It's $2 to wash and $2 to dry.

If you have any problems with the machines, make sure you report it to guest services. We had some problems on the Fantasy and were charged but the machines wouldn't "go" so they had to reverse the charges. We also had an issue where it took 3 cycles to dry one load of clothes so GS took off one of the $2 charges because they ended up having to fix the dryer (it wasn't working properly and drying at full heat).

Edited by meatloafsfan

I bring my own laundry supplies. I like the Purex 3-in-1 sheets. I also bring a mesh pop-up hamper. It doesn't take up much room in the luggage and is very handy. Others have used a piece of luggage for dirty laundry.

On our last cruise, the machines weren't working in one of the laundry rooms. Maintenance had been called, but had not gotten fixed in hours. I just happened to mention it to our room host. He made one phone call and the maintenance men came right away. The room host let me know to always let him know if something needed to be fixed.

So, if something is not working correctly, let your room host know also.

I was totally impressed how well the laundry machines held up on the Magic during the May Baltic Cruise. TONS of laundry being done (at least on our deck) as there as there were many people doing back-to-backs with the Transatlantic and the Norway cruise that followed. I think only one dryer was broken for an hour or two the whole week. Of course this one lady was irate, but those machines virtually never got a rest! Our stateroom was right near the laundry room and there were people there at all hours... hint: don't give up if you see all the machines going because you could come back in 5 min and they're all available. Act fast!

I never iron. Just take wrinkle release. Works like a charm.

When traveling. . . I never care. It seems like we're all in the same boat -- so to speak -- we're all going to be a little wrinkled.

I just hang everything on Day 1 and call it good.

Alley