Not charged for onboard account?

Mom2B&Z

Well good news. My account for my cruises is now correct. I have a wonderful PCC who was able to double check with his supervisors and the accounts department to ensure I had been charged the correct amount in US dollars. The mistake was made somewhere after it left his hands. At no stage did I believe he had done anything wrong, I just wasn't sure who to reach out to other than my bank. My bank (not my local branch) was fantastic also and checked everything to ensure I was charged in US dollars the correct amount, thus eliminating two lots of conversion fees. My onboard account is a different matter. They have charged my first 7 days twice. Just a hint to B&Z's mum -I also lose bits of paper, but I take photos either on my iPhone or iPad. Not always the whole bill once I've checked it through, but the final amount etc.

Once onboard I am going to stress I want to be charged in US dollars and keep checking my bank account to check they are doing so. If they don't give me choice, I'll pay it in cash. I would prefer it to come through in US dollars as it is more transparent and you can easily check that you have been charged the correct amount.

Thank you to all the people who were positive and supportive.

Edited by karoo

Thanks Karoo, I'm normally pretty good with paperwork, but this cruise was a last minute decision and ironically I think I recycled the final bill a week ago :(

I'm going to start taking screenshots of our statement and keeping them with the shutterfly album!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always amazed how many people do not check transactions ( deposit or withdraw).

I work in accounting , many years ago, I sent a file to the bank that contained over 100 deposits to employees. A few weeks later, I got an enquiry about one of the transactions in the file. All my detective work was telling me that the file had not gone through. However, as nobody else had contacted me, I kept digging that it had to be another issue........... 3 weeks later, I was able to confirm that NOBODY had the money, I resent the deposit request and also sent a mail to everybody saying........" sorry, And you should thank your co-worker. "

I would thing that probably the same thing happened here, some people did call NCL asking for the charges and that is when they realized the error.

I admire that they did send out a letter, as many people who had not noticed the missing charges before, would also not notice the charges now.

It's one thing to go over your statement and make sure you recognize all the charges that are listed there. Everyone should do that, to catch fraudulent charges.

It's another thing to go over the statement and to identify transactions that are not listed there. For people with a lot of card activity, that requires a lot more effort (you basically have to maintain your own parallel list of transactions and compare it line by line with each statement). And errors in this direction are in your favor, so it's also a lower priority in terms of personal financial protection.

It's one thing to go over your statement and make sure you recognize all the charges that are listed there. Everyone should do that, to catch fraudulent charges.

It's another thing to go over the statement and to identify transactions that are not listed there. For people with a lot of card activity, that requires a lot more effort (you basically have to maintain your own parallel list of transactions and compare it line by line with each statement). And errors in this direction are in your favor, so it's also a lower priority in terms of personal financial protection.

All true but I for one don't cruise often enough that I would miss the final charge not being on the card, even on the busiest card we use. I know that if the charge didn't appear on my card after the cruise concluded I would reach out to the cruise line after a week or so to find out if it was going to post.

All true but I for one don't cruise often enough that I would miss the final charge not being on the card, even on the busiest card we use. I know that if the charge didn't appear on my card after the cruise concluded I would reach out to the cruise line after a week or so to find out if it was going to post.

My only fear with this is that you might then be charged twice! Once when you phone in and again when some accountant finds the error... Seems like a no win.:confused:

Is this dynamic conversion something new? Can you request all on board charges in US dollars?

My only fear with this is that you might then be charged twice! Once when you phone in and again when some accountant finds the error... Seems like a no win.:confused:

Is this dynamic conversion something new? Can you request all on board charges in US dollars?

I have multiple fears about this whole situation. My issue is we took two cruises within 5 weeks, so there were multiple charges and I honestly didn't watch closely enough to see if all charges from each cruise went through. My bad. I'll be keeping copies of our final bill for much longer now, for fear of NCL deciding an error had been made at a later date.

Yes, the currency conversion is new, we were first offered it in Jan/16 on the Star, and again in March/16 on breakaway. I didn't use it on the Star, as we were in a suite with ample OBC. I did use it for Breakaway, as it was a last minute booking with no perks. It made sense at the time given the exchange rate being offered and the conversion fees on my cc. I doubt I'll use it again given this experience. I usually pay out our on board account in cash, as that is usually the cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. We charge everything -- groceries, gas, etc since we get cash back. so our statement is pages long. but I'd notice if a cruise charge were missing since the onboard account is charged as a single charge and I'd be watching to make sure it was correct.

However I'd wait one more billing period to see if the charge appeared before I contacted the cruise line about it.

My thoughts exactly. We charge everything -- groceries, gas, etc since we get cash back. so our statement is pages long. but I'd notice if a cruise charge were missing since the onboard account is charged as a single charge and I'd be watching to make sure it was correct.

However I'd wait one more billing period to see if the charge appeared before I contacted the cruise line about it.

Since I check all of my charges online I wouldn't need to wait for the billing cycle to see the charge.:)

I would think that the risk of double billing would be low, but if it happened it should be able to be sorted out quickly. Phoning in would start an inquiry going, the CSR wouldn't just run a charge on your card based on what you told them (at least I would hope not). This whole "dynamic conversion" thing is perplexing, I wouldn't expect NCL to go this kind of trouble to institute something that would benefit a small percentage of their customers (unless of course the conversion favors NCL most of the time).

Edited by sparks1093

Since I check all of my charges online I wouldn't need to wait for the billing cycle to see the charge.:)

I check mine online too but I'd still wait until the billing period to see if it were at least Pending before I'd call cruise line.

I just received this email from NCL' date=' I think it's from our cruise on Breakaway in March, 2016. I went back and checked my cc statements and sure enough, we were never charged.

Fortunately we didn't have a large bill, but I foresee many unhappy customers.

Dear Valued Guest,

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information regarding your final onboard invoice.

Norwegian began offering guests the ability to pay for any onboard expenses in the currency of their home country - a system called Dynamic Currency Conversion - earlier this year.

As a result of a system error at the entity that processes Norwegian Cruise Line's credit card transactions, your final onboard charge was not processed. We will be submitting this charge to the credit card you provided at embarkation for your shipboard charges today. This charge will appear on your credit card within the next 7 business days.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']

This wasn't really a case where you were not charged, NCL just delayed posting the charges to your CC.

I cannot understand why people would be unhappy about this because they got the use of the money for a few months without any interest charges, and if they pay their bills every month they can still do that without any interest.

I am in the same case but didn’t receive yet this kind of email :)

Cruise was done in May on Gateway

But it is a long story between NCL ,my bank and I

Everything start in December 2015 on EPIC

My Visa Gold was accepted when boarding but two days later a message from main desk indicate that the maximum amount allowed by the card was reached (300$)

I call my bank and they confirm that the maximum amount per month is 6800€ and they do not understand information done by NCL

Furthermore my bank inform me that they do not receive any request from NCL . (2 hours spend on main deck + phone call)

So to avoid any more loss of time I change with my AMEX

2nd Chapter ,Gateway May 2016

Copy and paste all previous information !

So I am patient but enough is enough ,I call again my bank (not easy when you are in Caribbean and your bank in EU) but same answer than in December :no request from NCL :mad:

So I use Visa card of my wife without any issue except that they do not withdraw any money from my account still now!

Hope I will never receive any email from NCL

For information ,I use my Visa Gold because it do not charge any fees for currency conversion

*THIS*

I try to run my eyes over each page of the many cc statements we get every month to make sure there is nothing there that is completely made up, but I can't imagine how I would verify that ever little nickel and dime thing I charged was on there. I wish I was disciplined enough to keep a little notebook listing every dinner, drink or grocery trip I make, how much I spent, and what credit card I used, but, um, NO, I don't actually do that!

OP and others who have been affected by this, I'm sorry, that sounds like a real pain!