Jewel Complimentary MDR

twokids0204

If I recall correctly, the nightly menu is the same in both restaurants. It does change dad to day. As you said the food is subjective. I liked it and could always find something to eat. However, the menu seemed uninspired and nothing jumped out at me as a 'must have'. I also noticed NCL put a lot of effort into steering you to the Buffet or O'Sheehans for dinner.

The menus are exactly the same every night. There is one side of the menu that remains the same, and the other half changes daily. The only difference is that you can wear shorts at night in the Azura, and Tsar's requires long pants. It is ok to wear shorts in Tsar's during the day, though.

The menus are exactly the same every night. There is one side of the menu that remains the same, and the other half changes daily.

This is old info somehow mixed with new, Jewel got the new menus already last summer. Old menus had the always available and daily sides and were a bit different between aft and midship MDRs.

Current menus are the same in aft and midship MDRs and do not have separate sides but instead all dishes are listed under one header for each group (appetizers, main courses, etc) - there are some dishes that appear on the menus every day but those are not marked as such like they were before.

Personally I found the new menus good but I miss some dishes from the old menus - for example previously always available spring rolls are not always available anymore.

Edited by Demonyte

We ate most of our dinners at Tsars or Azura. The "old" menu had salmon always available and the new menu does not. I believe flounder is the new "always". They had three "always" lasagna type items and they were mediocre. Lobster or "surf and turf" isn't available in the MDR anymore on any night.

We had wonderful service in both dining rooms- efficient and polite and we were always seated promptly. I saw a few times that the MDRs were crowded but this was not typical. I think the promo for free UDP had some impact.

The food was just fine- nothing memorable, nothing horrible. For example, to me lasagna has ricotta cheese and mozzarella somewhere in the middle. Their lasagna had meat and sauce in the middle layers with cheese only on the top. Sort of like what you might expect at Denny's. The average items were like what you would be served at a mid range restaurant.

Tsars is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and Azura is only at night.

You have three other complimentary dining places:

Chin Chin- they just started to make this complimentary. To be honest, ordinary Chinese food. I see why it wasn't popular as a specialty restaurant. Still, worthwhile to go there.

O'Sheehans- limited menu but pretty good at what they serve. Menu doesn't change except for one nightly special that is advertised in the daily. Service ranges from very good to bored, but efficient.

Buffet- I was pretty impressed and we ate breakfast and many lunches there. We liked the stations rather than the cafeteria line on some ships. You can take your food to the great outdoors or LaCucina (breakfast and lunch only) or to the pool deck.

Do the 2 main dining rooms (Tsar's and Azura) have different menus?

Do they change daily? How's the food (I know subjective - but your opinions matter) ?

They have the same menu, the only difference is in the dress code and the size of the restaurant. Yes, the menu changes daily and there are certain items that are always available. You can count on about 5 entrees to choose from each night, a couple of salads, a soup and maybe one or two appitizers including the always available dishes. They are usually listed on the left hand side of the menu.

Edited by newmexicoNita

At dinner, there are typically about two soups, two salads and about three appetizers and they are listed on the left side of the menu. Right below those are the entrees that are always available. I think there was one chicken entrée, a steak, three "lasagna/lasagna rolls" entrees and maybe a vegetarian meal. The right side had the entrees that varied each night and then the desserts (maybe five different ones). It seems they have about 10 different menus and if your cruise is longer, you will see a repeat.