Cruising Alaska on SS 2017

kathy16

We are thinking of booking Vancouver to Seward next June on SS. Is this a good cruise itinerary for the "must-see" sights in Alaska? Would the "right" shore excursions enhance the itinerary?

We are also looking at Seabourn. The dates work out best for me, but I want a great experience, too.

We are planning to drive to Denali post-cruise for a few days, too.

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy I have already posted on the Seabourn Board. As I mentioned we have sailed Alaska many times and one of those times was on the Silversea Shadow.

The key to getting them most out of Alaska is getting away from the ports and to plan excursions that get you to places outside the immediate downtown areas. There is lots to explore.

The itinerary is fine. For a seven day cruise you are seeing most of the typical ports in Alaska that ships stop at. Your time in Ketchikan is a bit limited but you can still plan a good tour there.

If you go in early June rather than late June you will find less tourists there.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Hi Kathy! I agree with Keith1010 about the excursions and getting away from the ports. We did this itinerary on the Silver Shadow last June and really enjoyed it. I do think the excursions that we and our fellow travelers liked most were the more adventurous ones. I will say that I wouldn't avoid the towns altogether as Juneau and Skagway are interesting. I regret that I booked an excursion in Skagway that took all of our time and I never got to walk around there. I can't comment much on Sitka as our weather was bad and most people were trying to get back on the ship after excursions. Ketchikan was probably the most touristy looking. If you haven't been to Vancouver before, I recommend that you spend a little time there as well. It is a stunning city with lots to do.

The float plane excursion to George Inlet Lodge and crab feast is a must. We've done it at least three times. This would be out of Ketchikan. My family including grand children really loved the Lumber Jack show in Ketchikan. It's pure touristy but very well done.

• 7 months later...

We are doing this cruise 6/29-7/6- I am in process of booking things to do for a group of 12

what did you do in Sitka?

Did anyone go sea kayaking in haines?

Boys will fish 2 times and we are dog sledding and whale watching in Juneau

Nothing planned in Ketchikan yet-may just walk around

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing this cruise 6/29-7/6- I am in process of booking things to do for a group of 12

We are on this same cruise Seward-Vancouver so will be interested in hearing any recommendations on shore excursions.

We did this cruise about two years ago. In Sitka, we did the Sea Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion. The sea otter cruise was pretty good and we saw lots of otters, some eagles, and whales. I think it would have been much better but we had terrible weather, cold and rainy, that kept us from going on the top deck and getting a better view. The other two stops at the Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear were not as interesting. What the caretakers of these animals have done for them is commendable but the actual visit was basically seeing a wild animal in captivity and then getting back on the bus. If you have never seen a bald eagle or brown bear up close (they had a few black bears too) it may be interesting to you. It just wasn't as much of a natural setting as we expected. Some fellow passengers we spoke to did the ocean raft adventure and said it was wonderful.