Early Saver Odd Question??

Spoot

Ok, I'm sorry if the answer to this question is hidden somewhere on the internet, but my search capabilities are low at the moment. Here is my complication:

We are cruising in October, total of 5 people in 3 cabins - so two people in two cabins and one person in their own. My husband and I are together, my brother and SIL in another, and mom in her own. We all booked early saver.

Now there is a possibility my brother MAY start a new job which would not allow him to go on the cruise. From what I understand, there would be a $50 cancellation fee and the remainder of his fare could be used towards a future cruise? Well, that would leave just my SIL in her own room. Would she then have to pay single supplement? I'm guessing so...

If so, the question would be, should she cancel, loose her $50, etc., but then add onto my mom's booking so that they room together (they don't mind this situation at all by the way).

Any HELPFUL info would be appreciated :)

Ok, I'm sorry if the answer to this question is hidden somewhere on the internet, but my search capabilities are low at the moment. Here is my complication:

We are cruising in October, total of 5 people in 3 cabins - so two people in two cabins and one person in their own. My husband and I are together, my brother and SIL in another, and mom in her own. We all booked early saver.

Now there is a possibility my brother MAY start a new job which would not allow him to go on the cruise. From what I understand, there would be a $50 cancellation fee and the remainder of his fare could be used towards a future cruise? Well, that would leave just my SIL in her own room. Would she then have to pay single supplement? I'm guessing so...

If so, the question would be, should she cancel, loose her $50, etc., but then add onto my mom's booking so that they room together (they don't mind this situation at all by the way).

Cancelling 1 cabin and having your SIL moved into Mom's cabin (or vice versa) is the best solution. Unfortunately, you will take a $50. hit for your Brother's cancellation, and hopefully they will not ding you $50. for SIL's "cancelled cabin" since you would be rebooking her and Mom into a joint cabin at the same time.

Finger's crossed for your Brother to get his new job ! :)

Ok that's what I was thinking k&p, but wanted input before I called carnival. Knowledge is power before calling companies :)

Not sure if you really got any knowledge - since the "rules" at Carnival seem to be flexible depending on how your PVP is on a given day. Obviously, the $50 hit will happen but you already knew that.

Good luck.

I hate to admit it, but it is true on who you speak to, and oddly enough what their actual function is. I had to change my Bunkie last year-DH had surgery and ran out of vacation time- I called asked someone if I could switch (to take my BF, they said yes, but you have to pay 100.00, one 50 to move him off, and 50 to add, her, told them I would call back. did call back got someone else who charged me nothing. BF went in for surgery so with three weeks before the cruise, I got another Bunkie, and was charged 50.00. Which I paid. Good luck!

I hate to admit it, but it is true on who you speak to, and oddly enough what their actual function is. I had to change my Bunkie last year-DH had surgery and ran out of vacation time- I called asked someone if I could switch (to take my BF, they said yes, but you have to pay 100.00, one 50 to move him off, and 50 to add, her, told them I would call back. did call back got someone else who charged me nothing. BF went in for surgery so with three weeks before the cruise, I got another Bunkie, and was charged 50.00. Which I paid. Good luck!

Curious if you had booked ES? With ES there are restrictions that do not allow name change which means no canceling one guest and adding another guest. You would have to either keep both cabins and have 2 no shows or cancel the booking completely and rebook a completely new booking w SIL & mom in new cabin.

Curious if you had booked ES? With ES there are restrictions that do not allow name change which means no canceling one guest and adding another guest. You would have to either keep both cabins and have 2 no shows or cancel the booking completely and rebook a completely new booking w SIL & mom in new cabin.

That depends on who you get on Carnival. I've changed names a couple of times on Early Saver without penalty. In fact, I did it with this cruise. Wasn't charged anything to do the change and I'm still booked as early save.

You need to make any changes sooner rather than later. The closer you are to your sail date the higher the penalty.

This isn't true (although it should be). I booked online ES last year for me and my husband. My husband decided not to go so I just changed the name of the person going myself. No issues at all and we had a great cruise. :-)

It may work out better to have the brother no show.

For me it would take some pencil and paper work to figure it out.

If a no show is the best deal, there have been threads that discuss how to do it.

Basically you never tell them that the person is not coming.

Edited by mzloolue

It may work out better to have the brother no show.

For me it would take some pencil and paper work to figure it out.

If a no show is the best deal, there have been threads that discuss how to do it.

Basically you never tell them that the person is not coming.

Can't see why this would make more sense.

Mom has her own room and is actually paying for 2 because of the single supplement. SIL and brother are booked in a room and paying for 2. If brother doesn't go, then both mom and SIL are in their own rooms and paying for 2 each in each room...far more expensive than mom and SIL staying in one room and releasing the other.

Yes there will be a penalty, but depending on when final payment is (cruise is in October), it could be far less than 2 fares since brothers deposit (less penalty) can be used for a future cruise, and moms single supplement can maybe be credited towards her remaining balance.

Hopefully OP comes back and updates us.

Edited by K&P Luv2Cruise

"No name changes are allowed. A $50 service fee will be assessed per person for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to the final payment due date." Just quoting the rules.

And I'm just saying what I did without a problem.

I had to change my Bunkie last year-DH had surgery and ran out of vacation time- I called asked someone if I could switch (to take my BF...

LOL. When I first read it I thought you were saying your husband couldn't go so you took your boyfriend (BF)!

Best Friend, I belated figured out.

• 3 months later...

Ok, so we had to end up canceling my brother. They got a $200 future cruise credit and lost $50. Remainder was refunded. We were then able to move my SIL to room with my mom for no charge at all!