Error on RCL Anthem Deck Plans >>>>>>

All:

Just a word to the wise so you don't get stuck in the situation we are currently in. We booked Anthem in a Grand Suite cabin 12646 - which is being portrayed on the deck plans as a suite with an oversized balcony. We were thrilled to get this cabin and is how we justified the $3,500 premium over a balcony stateroom.

We have unfortunately just returned from our cruise in that cabin and while this grand suite replaced the footprint of two balcony staterooms found on Anthem's sister, Quantum, the balcony has remained partitioned down the middle of the balcony by a divider that is 3/4ths the length of the balcony, leaving just enough room at the railing to get to the "other" side of the balcony. There is no breakfast table and hardly enough room to fit more than 3-4 people on the balcony.

We were told onboard that we "shouldn't of booked a new ship." Please please be aware of this error in the deck plans and do not book this cabin.

As for us - we are seriously reevaluating cruising with RCL in the future based on the response we received onboard.

All:

Just a word to the wise so you don't get stuck in the situation we are currently in. We booked Anthem in a Grand Suite cabin 12646 - which is being portrayed on the deck plans as a suite with an oversized balcony. We were thrilled to get this cabin and is how we justified the $3,500 premium over a balcony stateroom.

We have unfortunately just returned from our cruise in that cabin and while this grand suite replaced the footprint of two balcony staterooms found on Anthem's sister, Quantum, the balcony has remained partitioned down the middle of the balcony by a divider that is 3/4ths the length of the balcony, leaving just enough room at the railing to get to the "other" side of the balcony. There is no breakfast table and hardly enough room to fit more than 3-4 people on the balcony.

We were told onboard that we "shouldn't of booked a new ship." Please please be aware of this error in the deck plans and do not book this cabin.

As for us - we are seriously reevaluating cruising with RCL in the future based on the response we received onboard.

I suspected from the pictures I've seen that this was the case and have trying to get confirmation so thank you for letting us know. We are booked in that suite in January and this is not a deal killer, but it is disappointing. I am really curious as to who gave you that totally inappropriate response.

- Steve

Thank you for your post. We are also booked in this suite and received visual confirmation today of the error on the deck plan and the balcony restriction of this room. We are very disappointed, especially with the premium we are paying. On our cruise, no other grand suite cabins are currently available and I just got off the phone with the D+/Pinnacle desk where they too told me this is the pitfalls of booking a new ship and I had until final payment date to cancel. I called just to let then know.

We are looking at other options now, especially for the price we are paying. We have never been disappointed in RCL in over 20 years, but I must admit this is a downer. We have at least one cabin sailing with is who will also cancel, as we cruise together. Such a shame.

Edited by DanTheCruisingMan

We too are booked in this GS. I booked the day I received the email that Anthem was available for US bookings (almost a year ago). From the descriptions, I'm having a hard time visualizing this limited balcony. Hopefully someone will post pictures from aboard the ship looking out.

On my sailing there are no more GS available (seems like a common theme for this ship), so it looks like this will be my 8 day home away from home. Maybe this problem will be fixed by March of 2016...

ever the optimist :)

From the descriptions, I'm having a hard time visualizing this limited balcony. Hopefully someone will post pictures from aboard the ship looking out.

Basically, there is a balcony divider (like a plexiglass 'wall') in the middle of your space, dividing your balcony in half. You can still cross over to either side because this divider does not go all the way to the railing.

Edited by marci22

I would never be in a financial position to book this cabin, but here is my opinion for what it's worth. RCCL should be able to take this wall down in a short amount of time. What are they thinking keeping this divider there for the guests paying this huge sum of money? We have always loved RCCL, but the things that I read about their new philosophies and how they are handling these new ships just makes me very, very sad.

I would never be in a financial position to book this cabin, but here is my opinion for what it's worth. RCCL should be able to take this wall down in a short amount of time. What are they thinking keeping this divider there for the guests paying this huge sum of money? We have always loved RCCL, but the things that I read about their new philosophies and how they are handling these new ships just makes me very, very sad.

I totally agree. It is not structural and could and could be removed quite quickly and easily. I don't have any confidence that will happen. We are Diamond, but haven't cruised since 2010 and we now have two booked. Sad to say I'm having second thoughts due to this and other issues with RC.

All:

Hi,

Do you know is GS12246 is the same with the partition as another thread that 12246 does not have this?

Thanks

Steven

I encourage all of you to contact your travel agent or RCL directly. They may do something for those of you in this situation.

Someone who did contact RC directly was told basically the same thing you were told on board.....shouldn't have booked a new ship and they are free to cancel before final payment. Totally inappropriate response. I'm still curious as to who it was that you spoke to on board? Guest Services? Concierge?

RC has a horrible attitude toward its customers. We were on the QOS Inaugural that had so many issues and I was told by the Executive Office that they decided not to give any blanket compensation to anyone unless the had specific issues.

With this attitude it would be great if no one sailed on one of their newly launched ship but that will never happen. I will never go on a newly launched ship again.

The notion that a passenger should not be able to rely on the cruise line's own deck plan is pretty outrageous. And what was RCI thinking in creating a suite out of two balcony cabins but leaving the balcony divider in place?

I would be incredibly disappointed with this as well. And the OP being told that they shouldn't have booked a new ship? That's an outrage too.

I would escalate this.

The notion that a passenger should not be able to rely on the cruise line's own deck plan is pretty outrageous. And what was RCI thinking in creating a suite out of two balcony cabins but leaving the balcony divider in place?

I would be incredibly disappointed with this as well. And the OP being told that they shouldn't have booked a new ship? That's an outrage too.

I would escalate this.

Agreed, unacceptable.

This is almost as nice as Royal Caribbean's lying for months that the Category E balcony cabins on the Quantum Class have a full sofa when they knew full well they only had a single chair.

RC has a horrible attitude toward its customers. We were on the QOS Inaugural that had so many issues and I was told by the Executive Office that they decided not to give any blanket compensation to anyone unless the had specific issues.

With this attitude it would be great if no one sailed on one of their newly launched ship but that will never happen. I will never go on a newly launched ship again.

Yep, was on the same sailing. Didn't matter how bad the cruise was, how much they lied, or how inappropriately it was handled we didn't matter. They even said that if our cabin wasn't flooded we didn't deserve anything. Didn't matter that our bed was broken for 19 nights and required constant calls to maintenance and 4am wake ups to fix it.

Wow....really making me consider my GS and JS bookings I've got for us and my parents on Anthem.

I'm booked in a GS #7234. It's got an oversized balcony but in a different looking configuration from the others. Any idea if this has a divider issue too?

Thanks.

Scott

Wow....really making me consider my GS and JS bookings I've got for us and my parents on Anthem.

I'm booked in a GS #7234. It's got an oversized balcony but in a different looking configuration from the others. Any idea if this has a divider issue too?

Thanks.

Scott

No reason for concern Scott. 7235 is a SGS and has the huge balcony. It is only this one GS on Deck 12 starboard side that has the divider problem. We're not sure about the matching one on the port side, but other GS's nad SGS's do not have the issue. And the stories about other serious problems were from the early Quantum cruises. Reviews for Anthem so far have been generally very positive.

- Steve

Hi,

So my TA phoned up RCCL UK today about cabin 12246 (which we have booked for September) and cabin 12646.

When the ship was designed cabin 12646 was down to be two separate cabins therefore that is why there is a divider on the balcony, whereas 12246 was always meant to be a GS thus no divider on the balcony.

Steven

Hi,

So my TA phoned up RCCL UK today about cabin 12246 (which we have booked for September) and cabin 12646.

When the ship was designed cabin 12646 was down to be two separate cabins therefore that is why there is a divider on the balcony, whereas 12246 was always meant to be a GS thus no divider on the balcony.

Steven

Thanks for the info Steven. So now we know it is only one suite and it was their mistake. So the question becomes are they going to correct it on the ship or on the deck plan or are they just going to ignore the whole issue?

- Steve

Thanks for the info Steven. So now we know it is only one suite and it was their mistake. So the question becomes are they going to correct it on the ship or on the deck plan or are they just going to ignore the whole issue?

- Steve

Im happy we booked 12246 now, at first we were in 12646 but I changed to the other side instead:)

Surely it would it would be easy to remove the divider.

Steven

- Steve

Surely there's nothing load-bearing/structural about the balcony divider. It's bizarre that they have not simply removed it. But unless they do, they really need to correct the deck plan.

Surely there's nothing load-bearing/structural about the balcony divider. It's bizarre that they have not simply removed it. But unless they do, they really need to correct the deck plan.

Exactly! It seems like a no brainer. The obvious fix is to just remove the thing especially if they want to continue to charge the full GS rate for that suite. Unfortunately, the simplest solutions are often the most elusive. :mad:

Exactly! It seems like a no brainer. The obvious fix is to just remove the thing especially if they want to continue to charge the full GS rate for that suite. Unfortunately, the simplest solutions are often the most elusive. :mad:

Probably something as stupid as removing the divider will leave an anchor point as a trip hazard.

Poor planning a long time ago!