Fredericia, Denmark??

Fredericia is a wonderful new port that ships are stopping in. It is a quaint city with great shopping and restaurants. They also have a bridgewalk, about 10 minutes drive from the port which is great. For 2 hours, you get to see Denmark from a different perspective and hear about the city. We also got a free whale watch, as their local whales were playing right under where we were on the bridge. Book tickets on line, as they do sell out. It just started in May 2015 and has become super popular, super fast. Our kids from our 2 families (ages 12-17) had a great time (boys and girls alike).

http://www.bridgewalking.com/frequently-asked-questions/:)

• 4 months later...

I live in Denmark, and was recently there for the first time. It is a walled city with a moat around, and hiking the walls is about a 3 km walk. Fairly charming. In addition, there is bridge walking on the nearby Old Little Belt Bridge, about a 20 km cab ride from Fredericia. This was and not too strenuous (about 2 hours total), about 3 stories of steep stairs up and down, but nothing to fear, you have a safety belt that slides in a safety rail. On a sunny day, the view is fantastic, and it is one of the few places in the world you can walk on the exoskeleton of a bridge, guided tour only. The web site is http://www.bridgewalking.com.

Carsten

Fredericia was the town I had my military service 8 years ago (fall 2007) so I know a little bit about the town.

BTW The bridge is only 6 kilometers away not 20.

What would you suggest for a one day visit? Was thinking of just walking to the tourist office on the way to the ramparts and air raid bunker museum. Just walking around town and visiting shops, etc. Was planning a leisurely day, but if something more interesting to do, would consider that. Thanks for all of your help and information.

• 2 weeks later...
Fredericia was the town I had my military service 8 years ago (fall 2007) so I know a little bit about the town.

BTW The bridge is only 6 kilometers away not 20.

I will be visiting Fredericia via cruise ship on April 30th. Since my roots are from Denmark, Kolding in particular, I'm extremely interested in taking the train to Kolding. Can you provide any direction or guidance in that regard? I did note on a previous post that the train station is close to the port. Is it within walking distance? Do you have any idea where the train station in Kolding is and if it would be close to any points of interest? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

If the port doesn´t provide a shuttle you can then walk to the train station in 25 minutes time.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Svovlsyrekaj,+7000+Fredericia/Fredericia+Baneg%C3%A5rd,+Fredericia+Municipality/@55.5631933,9.7405477,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m17!4m16!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c912f878e55eb:0x52f71904f13579f3!2m2!1d9.7577816!2d55.55854!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90de9c7e58b5:0xfdedf20c8fc3c795!2m2!1d9.7408662!2d55.5678473!2m2!7e2!8j1460409720!3e2

Or else you can find a few bus stops around Sjællandsgade 800 meters away.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Svovlsyrekaj,+7000+Fredericia/K%C3%B8bmagergade+v+Axeltorv+(Fredericia),+7000+Fredericia/@55.5617524,9.7536638,16z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c912f878e55eb:0xd7e1f5d18681824e!2m2!1d9.7569389!2d55.558812!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c9123828da1ef:0x6a7627f82a728320!2m2!1d9.7591044!2d55.5646445

From Fredericia you have 2 options.

Regionaltog towards Esbjerg at XX:11 taking 13 minutes or Intercity train towards either Sønderborg, Flensburg or Hamburg at XX:49 taking 10 minutes.

It will probably be best to go for the XX:49 train because if you miss that one there will only be a 22 minute waiting time.

On the way back you will again have 2 options.

Regionaltog towards Aarhus at XX:34 taking 14 minutes and Intercity train towards either Aalborg or Københavns Lufthavn at XX:56 taking between 12 and 14 minutes.

There is also a Intercity train towards København H at XX:08 but that one bypass Fredericia.

Koldinghus castle and the pedestrian street is next door to the station in Kolding.

http://www.visitkolding.dk/ln-int/kolding/welcome-kolding-0

Has anyone been to Fredericia, Denmark? I searched and found that it is a new port this year, and Wikipedia says it was a fortress town and "an hour walk around the city walls" has historical statues, and old cannons. Although it talks about the pristine beaches, I don't think my early May cruise will be beach weather in Denmark.

Is there anything to do in this port?

The Scandinavia and St Petersburg cruise is jam packed with great ports but this one has me a bit baffled. Why not two days in exciting Copenhagen? has anyone been there or is this like an At Sea day docked?

(posted on Celebrity thread also)

We went to it on the Silhouette in May 2015 and found it charming for a place we had never really heard of. Very well-preserved earthworks, a goodly bit of history (Sweden v. Danes v. Germans), and only a short bit of walking. Though two hours will let you see most of it - there is a "miniature town" a short walk away which some liked as well. And even July is not "beach weather" in the Baltic as far as Floridians are concerned. BTW, I fear Tivoli will disappoint you in Copenhagen - I was told the best restaurant there was Bosnian <g>.

Dave

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have rented a car from Budget so we can go to Egeskov castle, but it is 3KM from the port so I have a couple of questions.

1. Will cabs be available at port of Fredericia so I can get to the rental car location?

2. Are there any car rental offices close enough to walk to from port to pick up car?

3. Just want to e sure that we have adequate time for this. Plan on picking car up at 9 am driving to Wgeskov castle (about 1 hour) 3 hour castle visit and 1`hour drive back to Fredericia, to return car NLT than 2:30 to get back to ship by 3 pm.

Taxis are available at the pier. You might ask if Avis will deliver to the pier. I know when we were there last June there was one company that did have cars at the pier if you had a reservation but I don't recall which one it was. We had reserved with Sixt and they promised the car would be at the pier and it was not so we lost an hour finding out and getting to their office. No more renting from Sixt. They were a nightmare. Once I finally got to the office I had to stand on line for 30 minutes despite having an express reservation. One clerk on a cruise day is just dumb.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont think that to rent a car in Denmark is comfortable if you want to travel between cities. Recently I had that experience.I rented a car from Naniko for 6 days.Yes I cant say something bed about that company,everything was ok,but I was very tired.I recomend you to use train