First timer there

fishbonz

Are there any public or free beaches there within a half hour ride or so and the taxi cost ?. We will be going this March

ALL beaches in St Lucia are public and free. ALL. There is Vigie Beach, ealing distance from the port, Chocolate Beach with the Wharf restaurant and bar about 20 minutes north ($25us one way), Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay for a typical beach day with watersports, chairs\umbrellas, restaurants and bars (25-30 minutes, $30us one way), Pigeon Island with ruins, a bit of snorkeling, chairs/umbrellas, restaurant, etc (30-40 minutes north, $35 us one way plus $7us pp entrance fee -this is for the National Park and upkeep of the entire Park).

ALL beaches in St Lucia are public and free. ALL. There is Vigie Beach, ealing distance from the port, Chocolate Beach with the Wharf restaurant and bar about 20 minutes north ($25us one way), Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay for a typical beach day with watersports, chairs\umbrellas, restaurants and bars (25-30 minutes, $30us one way), Pigeon Island with ruins, a bit of snorkeling, chairs/umbrellas, restaurant, etc (30-40 minutes north, $35 us one way plus $7us pp entrance fee -this is for the National Park and upkeep of the entire Park).

Excellent informative post above!

Just adding the taxi prices quoted are for the taxi ... not per person. :)

(What we've paid for the two of us for Reduit Beach, one way.)

LuLu

Taxi prices are for up to three passengers. 4th or more passengers are extra, depending on length of trio ($5-25us depending on trip). Licensed, certified taxi drivers will have a vehicle with an "M" license plate, usually in uniform, etc. There are drivers who pirate the route and may or may not offer lower prices - please note these are not licensed or certified drivers, and are costing everyone extra in the long run.

Side note for your visit: beaches are not St Lucia's strong point. They are nice enough, but not the spectacular long white sand beaches of more coral, flat islands... Our claim to fame is our mountains, specifically the Pitons, the volcano, the lush environment, waterfalls, etc. I would strongly suggest a tour that takes you down to see our highlights, along with some beach time...Enjoy your visit.

Side note for your visit: beaches are not St Lucia's strong point. They are nice enough, but not the spectacular long white sand beaches of more coral, flat islands... Our claim to fame is our mountains, specifically the Pitons, the volcano, the lush environment, waterfalls, etc. I would strongly suggest a tour that takes you down to see our highlights, along with some beach time...Enjoy your visit.

Agree! St. Lucia is a beautiful lush island but the beaches not the best features.

Our favorite is a catamaran excursion that goes to the Pitons for a close-up look and has a beach stop on the way back to the ship. :)

First timers to St. Lucia often enjoy taking a "By Land & Sea" excursion which is by bus through the interior and is by boat returning.

LuLu

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I really need some advice! We will be in St. Lucia in just a couple of weeks. I am trying to decide whether to take a full day excursion with Spencer Ambrose (either the Jalousie Beach Break or the Land and sea tour). Both sound absolutely delightful, and all the reviews are great. Here's my concern though...It basically takes up the entire day. We likely will not have any extra time to look in shops or explore the rest of the port.

My husband is not a huge fan of having the whole day taken up by excursions. He normally tries to avoid excursions because they take up most of the port time. My thought however is that to see the things St. Lucia is famous for (Pitons etc.), there is not much choice but to take an excursion.

So, can I please get your opinion? Will we miss out on anything worth seeing in St. Lucia by taking a full day excursion?

Thanks for your input!

Hi,

I really need some advice! We will be in St. Lucia in just a couple of weeks. I am trying to decide whether to take a full day excursion with Spencer Ambrose (either the Jalousie Beach Break or the Land and sea tour). Both sound absolutely delightful, and all the reviews are great. Here's my concern though...It basically takes up the entire day. We likely will not have any extra time to look in shops or explore the rest of the port.

My husband is not a huge fan of having the whole day taken up by excursions. He normally tries to avoid excursions because they take up most of the port time. My thought however is that to see the things St. Lucia is famous for (Pitons etc.), there is not much choice but to take an excursion.

So, can I please get your opinion? Will we miss out on anything worth seeing in St. Lucia by taking a full day excursion?

Thanks for your input!

Sure, you'll miss out on some things if you take a full day's tour, and if you don't take an excursion you'll miss out on other things. With only a day in port, it's always a trade-off....

Shopping is not our ports strong point. Souvenirs, etc sure but overall, we're not a shopping mecca. With a tour like Spencer's land and sea, you'll see our main highlights - iconic Pitons, volcano, waterfall, beach, etc. With sticking around the port area - you'll miss that! There's a few noteworthy things around the port, ie food and craft market, Derek Walcott Square, Cathedral, etc.. But nothing in comparison to Pitons, rainforest, volcano, etc...it's a trade off....depends on what's more important to you guys - see some of the place you're visiting, or stick around the port, which could be virtually anywhere in the Caribbean.

Personally - go with the tour. It's breathtaking, beautiful sights and experiences....can't be matched by staying near port and doing typical beach and shop...my two cents.

Enjoy your trip!