Belize Cave Tubing

panamavin

My wife and I are taking the Roatan-Belize-Cozumel tour in June on Carnival and in looking at excursions the cave tubing excursion seems the most popular in Belize. I'm all for it but my wife had a bad cave tubing experience in Mexico. She said the cave water was freezing and full of bat crap. Plus the possibility of snakes and spiders would not be good for her. For those that have done the tour how is the water and the cave experience? Thanks!

We enjoyed the cave tubing experience a lot...so much that we have done it twice. We went both times with .bz and they give you so much information about Belize both along the way and during the walk to the caves. They stop along the way and you get to try different things and hold stuff ;) which makes it very interesting.

Yes, there are bats in the caves but nothings going to be covered in it because you are in the water under them. :p

The water at the river there remains a constant degree year round (at least that's what they report and it's something like 74 degrees?? I'd have to look it up).

We have never seen any snakes, nor have I read anyone ever mention them. The water is constantly moving in the caves along the way and I have been told that snakes wouldn't want to be in that water.

As for the spiders...well, you can ask my (then 3 year old and is now 6) how she felt about the spider...

IMG_5570-L.jpg

Yes, it climbed all the way up to her shoulders and she absolutely loved it. Of course this is not a requirement to do. :D

I have 2 reviews of our day(s) there if you are interested in reading them. It will give you an idea of what the tour is all about. It's located in my signature line. One of them (our most recent) has tons of pictures in it.

Once off the ship, we found cavetubing.bz. Got into an overpacked van (both tour guides stood along the doors) and we were whisked away. The driver drove between 80 and 100 mph on a 2 lane highway passing anything slower. On the way home we nearly missed a dump truck by 30 yards. Everyone sighed with relief once we got through it. It is about a 45 minute drive both ways. (way too long for me)

Once there, we got changed and got a life vest and helmet with head lamp. We then hiked for 45 minutes at a swift pace. We got to the site to get in the water, grabbed our tubes and they connected them all together. We then got pulled through the stream. There really isn't any current to keep you moving. The water was so shallow that a lot of times we had to lift up our butt as to avoid the rocks on the bottom of the stream. The cave was interesting but extremely crowded with other groups.

On the way back, we stopped for rice, beans and chicken with some rum punch. Then after 15-20 minutes, we piled back in the van for an adventurous ride. I was never so happy to see the ship as I was that day.

To each their own but in my opinion, this was not fun.

Thank you for the different perspective. My son and I want to do this but my husband keeps asking what are we going to see and do that would be different then if we went tubing here at home. If there is nothing to see in the cave then maybe he is right. I hate when that happens. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We have been cave tubing several times. In addition, we were just in Belize last and went cave rafting where you go down the same river using small inflatable kayaks instead of tubes.

The water was cool, but not really cold and we did not see bat crap.

Edited by DEL67

There is not much to see in the caves, but it is different than tubing at home. In addition, the guides usually provide information as you walk through the rain forest on the way to the starting point and you also float past through a beautiful rain forest area.

Edited by DEL67

I did a ton of research before we went to Belize last November on the Magic. We used .bz for cave tubing and LOVED it! Probably the best excursion we've ever done. I wrote a review with some pictures on Trip Advisor. Hope it's ok to post the link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g291968-d645066-r240325006-Cave_Tubing_with_Vitalino_Reyes-Belize_City_Belize_District.html#REVIEWS

• 1 month later...

This is the thing my family was the most excited about.

This turned out to be the most disappointing.

I have read nothing but amazing reviews and maybe I was over-hyped but we didn't like it. 45 min one way in a van that feels every bump on every broken down highway at 80 mph(easy). No current, so not like tubing we are used to.

No bat crap, never saw a spider, water temp was just fine.

We come from cave country and we love going to cave tours at home. Unfortunately even though it was beautiful we kind of had the "seen one cave, seen 'em all" attitude by the time it was over. The jungle walk was beautiful and we got to see lots of local flora. Loved that part. Someone in our group had mobility issues and it was hard on them.

We won't do it again.

• 4 weeks later...
We have been cave tubing several times. In addition, we were just in Belize last and went cave rafting where you go down the same river using small inflatable kayaks instead of tubes.

The water was cool, but not really cold and we did not see bat crap.

Yep....a bat pooped on my leg, in the cave, while tubing in May 2015....Ugh.:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Once off the ship, we found cavetubing.bz. Got into an overpacked van (both tour guides stood along the doors) and we were whisked away. The driver drove between 80 and 100 mph on a 2 lane highway passing anything slower. On the way home we nearly missed a dump truck by 30 yards. Everyone sighed with relief once we got through it. It is about a 45 minute drive both ways. (way too long for me)

Once there, we got changed and got a life vest and helmet with head lamp. We then hiked for 45 minutes at a swift pace. We got to the site to get in the water, grabbed our tubes and they connected them all together. We then got pulled through the stream. There really isn't any current to keep you moving. The water was so shallow that a lot of times we had to lift up our butt as to avoid the rocks on the bottom of the stream. The cave was interesting but extremely crowded with other groups.

On the way back, we stopped for rice, beans and chicken with some rum punch. Then after 15-20 minutes, we piled back in the van for an adventurous ride. I was never so happy to see the ship as I was that day.

To each their own but in my opinion, this was not fun.

That was EXACTLY our experience too!! I talk about it in detail in my review (in my signature line). We'll choose an ocean based excursion next time.

That was EXACTLY our experience too!! I talk about it in detail in my review (in my signature line). We'll choose an ocean based excursion next time.

I know right. Ours was a combination tour that was not available on the ship. Overall we did not enjoy Belize so we probably won't do any other excursion either if we happen to end up there again. Some of the other excursions were down the same road so I would be concerned about the same ride.