Car rental in Florence

pebbles1102

Has anyone rented a car in Livorno to drive to Florence and Pisa? If so what company did you use and how is parking in Florence?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Both Florence and Pisa have ZTL zones - the historical centers are ZTL zones and if you don't have a permit, the fine is quite hefty.

That said, below is a link to the parking areas in Florence:

https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-maps/parking-lots-in-florence.html

I have rented cars in Italy but I have not rented one in Livorno to drive to Pisa or Florence (I assume that you are on a cruise).

A better option, IMHO, is the train from Livorno to Pisa and/or Florence.

I have driven all over Italy, but their cities are not very easy to drive in if you don't know where you are going and having to deal with erratic Italian drivers. As already mentioned there are also strict no entry areas.

Public transport would be much easier.

We have often rented cars in Livorno. Our suggestion is to look at the web site of Sifracar.com...who is the Hertz franchise for Livorno. They will deliver a car right to the pier, do the paperwork at the pier, and allow you to drop the car at the pier..upon your return. They do charge extra for this service...but its well worth the money when you consider the cost of a taxi from port to another rental car agency.

As has been mentioned, Italy has ZTL (Zona Traffico Limitato) Zones in both Pisa (in the area near the Tower/Field of Miracles) and much of the tourist area of Florence. You can download maps of the ZTLs...and if you are careful and have some experience...it is possible to navigate to parking areas without penetrating a ZTL (which will cost you over 100€ for each violation).

If your only goal is to go to Florence and/or Pisa...you might want to consider using the trains. Personally, having driven over 10,000 miles within Italy (with not a single traffic violation) we try to avoid driving into Florence. In fact, when we are on lengthy driving trips and want to visit Florence, we drive directly to our Florence hotel (Hotel David) where we leave the car until our departure. That particular hotel happens to be outside the ZTL..(assuming you know the route to avoid the nearby ZTL) and is one reason why its long been our home away from home when in Florence.

Hank