Seabourn just Tweeted about the Spa Retreat on Encore

Nigella

Yes, absolutely...

But still, I am quite amused by the fact that people at Seabourn with a university degree (hopefully) and experience in the industry can come up with an idea like that, knowing that this changes totally how the Seabourn product is seen from the customer`s side.

:confused:

Their thought process perplexes me. Are there egos at work here...?

Scene: Monday morning Seabourn executive roundtable.

Up-and-Comer, MBA: "Say, Richard, got this great idea this week-end browsing the NCL site...What da ya' say, we outfit the new puppies with a spa within a spa? We'll charge, like, a gazillion bucks for a bed, some curtains, and a little Brut. The folks are already paying a mazillion bucks for a suite, even though it's not truly a....suite. I think they'll pony up another few mazillion to lie out with 14 or so of their peers in this step up from the usual SB snobbery. We can make the left side smoking, too. Designer TK ashtrays, perhaps. Richard, why so quiet? That dude from NCL got quite the package, I hear."

Yes, absolutely...

But still, I am quite amused by the fact that people at Seabourn with a university degree (hopefully) and experience in the industry can come up with an idea like that, knowing that this changes totally how the Seabourn product is seen from the customer`s side.

:confused:

The problem with a lot of todays graduates is that they think they invented the wheel and know better than preceding generations. They seem hell bent for leather to repeat past mistakes rather than picking up a book and learning from them. Also being young and probably in college debt they wouldn't know luxury cruising if it came up, bit them on the posterior and took half their torso away. They're the ones that can't understand why a sever at a 3 Michelin starred restaurant might be worth more money than a McDonalds employee.

Edited by Emperor Norton

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have just caught up on the latest Seabourn newsletter - pics of the new R2 and "The Retreat". Our thoughts:

R2 - looks fine, it needed an update, but more so the menu. We have read forum comments this last week about R2 and they are still serving the same tired dishes from 5 years ago, just mixing the variations. It is really tedious on long cruises.

The Retreat - about 3/4 the way through last year we posted on receiving a survey about this little gem and responded with outrage. Pretty much the opinions we have seen expressed in this thread, but fundamentally, WHY and what don't you understand about the Seabourn experience and the Seabourn traveller? So it seems with the release of this information the survey wasn't actually engaging for our opinion, but testing how to approach the marketing. Let's face it, the designs for this one have probably been around with the original Encore sketches. The list of offerings and the price are ridiculous and reminiscent of the brainwave that was the Spa retreat - now suites.

We are doing 32 days on the Quest in August. There are 10 of us, including some Seabourn newbies who I hope we have not misled with our waxings of the Seabourn experience.

The comments about the TK implementation really have us worried in terms of the menu and variety of cuisines. The execution of dishes must surely be coming together by now. From our reading this teething process has been more than 6 months - that's a lot of guests to expose to mediocrity.

Bookings for the Colonnade? You have got to be joking. So they have also installed a small bar area for waiting or do we just hang around? We tend to make our decisions depending on how the day goes, weather, what we had for lunch, size of the group wanting to do something etc. It is a holiday, isn't it or are we just part of a larger hospitality industry trial that is occurring, but at our expense?

Hoping to be pleasantly surprised (please, please, please).

On another note - sorry for the thread diversion, but any idea which CD will be on the Quest in August? Haven't seen David E for a while. Would that be too much to hope for on top of our wish list above?

R2 - looks fine, it needed an update, but more so the menu. We have read forum comments this last week about R2 and they are still serving the same tired dishes from 5 years ago, just mixing the variations. It is really tedious on long cruises.

Bookings for the Colonnade? You have got to be joking. So they have also installed a small bar area for waiting or do we just hang around?

Unless we are mistaken (someone please correct if so), R2 is not being updated. It is history, giving way to Thomas Keller's endeavors.

We also believe the bar you mention will be in the Keller venue and not the Colonnade.

On another note - sorry for the thread diversion, but any idea which CD will be on the Quest in August? Haven't seen David E for a while. Would that be too much to hope for on top of our wish list above?

I know that Jan comes on as CD at the end of May when Heather leaves and that Judy stays as asst. cruise director through mid-summer. I'm not sure what this means for your specific sailing though.

Unless we are mistaken (someone please correct if so), R2 is not being updated. It is history, giving way to Thomas Keller's endeavors.

We also believe the bar you mention will be in the Keller venue and not the Colonnade.

Thanks Silver Sweethearts - might be the Aussie turn of phrase. We think the R2 change is long overdue. Our thoughts were if you have to book for the Colonnade (and you don't have a booking) there should be a waiting/sitting area. I'm sure they wouldn't want the bar area of the Keller venue used as a waiting area for the adjacent Colonnade. Perhaps they are thinking about handing out those vibrating devices that will light up and beep when your tables are ready so we can wander the ship or stay in the Club or Observatory lounge waiting for our turn. :eek::)

Note you have done the PG. Have done it several times and love it. Now that's a holiday!!!

Jenidallas - thanks for that!

Ok, I am confused,. On the Panama Canal thread Laylam says Jan is joining the Odyssey in Fort Lauderdale and Jenidallas says she will be on the Quest in May. I know Jan is great but even she is not able to be in two places at once. Can someone clarify this?

My point was that if so few passengers were willing to pay an average of 30 dollars per day to use the serene area, why will they now be willing to pay over 10x more for upgraded bubbly and food service? Or am I missing something?

I also paid $300+ once (on the Antarctica cruise) to use the existing spa serene area and found it quiet most of the time. They told me that they restrict the number of passes sold to maintain tranquility. That could well be, but I think it's also - and mostly - the lack of appeal and anemic value proposition. It just wasn't worth it, except for the private whale watching on its wrap-around balcony in the aft.

It remains to be seen whether the proposed fancy version will work. The princely sum and enhanced value proposition will definitely make it even more exclusive and appealing to some. After all, for some passengers, only the Wintergarden or Signature Suites will do. The more Seabourn charges, the more appealing the product may seem. It would be interesting to see how many passes are targeted or limited for the new area.

Yarr I could see Piratatical passengers surging up there in prime viewing areas (Fjords or Norway, Milfordsound, Glacier bay Alasaka) oops they weren't quick enough on the uptake for Glacier Bay...

How stupid are the MBAs running the company that they don't understand you don't pull this type of thing on an all inclusive line:confused:

Ok, I am confused,. On the Panama Canal thread Laylam says Jan is joining the Odyssey in Fort Lauderdale and Jenidallas says she will be on the Quest in May. I know Jan is great but even she is not able to be in two places at once. Can someone clarify this?

I know Heather leaves the Quest at the end of April - I believe she does one cruise after the dry dock. That would put Jan already in Europe and able to make the switch.

I'll ask again, but my info came from someone who was in a good position to know.

I know Heather leaves the Quest at the end of April - I believe she does one cruise after the dry dock. That would put Jan already in Europe and able to make the switch.

I'll ask again, but my info came from someone who was in a good position to know.

I spoke to Jan today, she is only on Odyssey until Barcelona and then Handre comes back. If she told me where she was next I have forgotten, sorry - put it down to exemplary service by bar staff!!!