Santa Cruz

pjrockman

Hello, we have a long day in Aruba in January. We usually split our port days with beach/bar/lunch in morning and island exploring/shopping in afternoon. A Caribbean Island book lists the town of Santa Cruz as a good local shopping venue, but I don't see anything that really supports that online.

Is Santa Cruz a viable option for an off the beaten path experience; or, not worth the effort? We don't expect large stores, just local goods and local snacks.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

We once drove through Santa Cruz. Just closed our eyes and drove through as quickly as possible (took about a min). Personally, we cannot think of a single reason that any tourist would want to visit Santa Cruz...but will watch (with interest) to see if anyone posts something positive.

Hank

Yes, I would ditch that guidebook. :(

Santa Cruz is a town or neighborhood. it borders the National Park. You could shop for takeaway or groceries in one of the small Chinese grocery stores. There is also the Bright Bakery which has yummy confections, but a shopper's paradise... <<NOT>>. :o

Yes, I would ditch that guidebook. :(

Santa Cruz is a town or neighborhood. it borders the National Park. You could shop for takeaway or groceries in one of the small Chinese grocery stores. There is also the Bright Bakery which has yummy confections, but a shopper's paradise... <<NOT>>. :o

But for me, Lisa, it's almost worth the drive just to go to Bright's. :):):)

Thanks all. That's what I gathered after an Internet search. It is a 2016 tour guide for the Caribbean published by a company beginning with a 'F'.

Says that there are many restaurants and local shops!

Oh well...onto the lighthouse with everyone else!

Thanks again, Paul

Edited by pjrockman

Do they sell to the public there? We didn't see the bakery and drove through SC at least a dozen times last trip. We really like their products.

Yes, they have a great bakery, full of pastries, cakes, patechies (sp?), and baked breads. We love to go over there.

Thanks all. That's what I gathered after an Internet search. It is a 2016 tour guide for the Caribbean published by a company beginning with a 'F'.

Says that there are many restaurants and local shops!

Oh well...onto the lighthouse with everyone else!

Thanks again, Paul

Shopping is good along the trolley route downtown, which is about two streets back from the front street. The front street is mainly jewelry stores. There is a mall downtown that is mainly upscale brands. Shopping is also good along Palm Beach. If you are there at night, many vendors open their kiosks in that area, also.

Yes, they have a great bakery, full of pastries, cakes, patechies (sp?), and baked breads. We love to go over there.

We looked it up last night after I posted. I think I did a u turn in their parking lot and never realized it, my navigator (DW) should have noticed. Bright's is now on our to do list for May. Also Frenchman's Pass.

Bright Bakery is full service... better than most bakeries we have here in the mountains of North Georgia. ;)

Thank you Lisa, it's on our must do list. [emoji12]

We've been there a couple of times with our favorite taxi driver, Bully, so I've never paid any attention on how to get there. We leave the driving to him:).

I guess we do Aruba different, we set the tripometer on day 2 of 10 and had 340miles on the jeep when we returned it. Four trips to the Natural Pool, Baby Beach, Dos Playa, Andicuri Beach, Boca Daimari Beach.

So many ways to do Aruba ours is on the adventure side and we don't go bar hoping, we go beach hoping and bring our bar and food with.

Our version of an Aruba cheese steak on a Bright bun at the beach:

ImageUploadedByForums1448731964.301701.jpg.d818053e0a93cf098cec1a244de861d5.jpg

Shopping is good along the trolley route downtown, which is about two streets back from the front street. The front street is mainly jewelry stores. There is a mall downtown that is mainly upscale brands. Shopping is also good along Palm Beach. If you are there at night, many vendors open their kiosks in that area, also.

Thanks, Hatteras.

We have the 7-7 shift. If we were there later, we probably would schedule Flying Fishbone, but don't want to chance it since they open at 5:00. I saw everyone's restaurant list and we may hang at Eagle Beach area and lunch at Passions. Afternoon, we may go to Lighthouse and then shop where you suggested. Any other ideas are always appreciated. First time on the Southern Caribbean route, so we are new to 4 of the ports.

Thanks, Paul