Ventura Freedom dining

RagBag

We're on Ventura in July and have selected Freedom dining, has anyone had experience of this on Ventura?

We've always have Anytime dining on RCI and Celebrity but with those you can pre book a time and table requirements.

We are happier with a table for two, not because we are anti-social but because we both have hearing problems and it gets embarrassing keep asking people to repeat themselves.

Has anyone had experience of requesting a table for two with freedom dining? or should we go to Club dining and chance that we will be allocated a table for two?

Hi Ragbag

Freedom dining is excellent on P&O there are two freedom dining restaurants, Cinammon and Saffron both are located mid ships one on deck 5 and the other on deck 6.If I remember rightly they open 6.00pm until 9.30pm you just turn up anytime between those hours and you will be allocated a table, tables for are at a premium and you may have a wait in this case you will be allocated a pager, our longest wait has been 30 minutes. While not deaf I find it hard to hear if I am at a table out in the middle of the dining room therefor I just request a table against a wall or in one of the small alcove area in the dining room and this request has always been met, in fact if you get a table you like and tell the restaurant manager he will try and allocate you that table every night, this has always worked for us. Unfortunately you cannot book a table as such. As a matter of courtesy I normally inform the restaurant manager on my future dining arrangements in order that he does not hold a table we like if we are not going to dine in the restaurant the next night. On our recent cruise we were allocated a table in a section which was serviced by two very friendly efficient waiters, Mohal and Raj and we requested a table in their section every time we dined in the restaurant and again this request was met.

Do enjoy your cruise, I do hope the dining arrangements meet your needs.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers
Spelling

Thanks for your reply Sanjam that makes me feel more relaxed about freedom dining.

We like to eat about 7:00, do you think we will have problems getting a table then or should we aim for about 6:30?

RagBag

RagBag

We normally dine about 7.30pm, as I said tables for two are at a premium and there is always a queue at opening time, if you were prepared to wait to a little later after the initial rush you may have a better chance. There are also some tables that only take four or six if you were prepared to share, I also find it difficult to make conversation at bigger tables because of my hearing so we always elect smaller tables. I forgot to say on arrival onboard there should be a card in the cabin allocating your freedom dining restaurant this is only for the First night thereafter you attend either whichever you find suits you better.When speaking to the restaurant manager at the door mention to him you are hard of hearing and prefer a smaller table they normally bend over backwards to accommodate such requests if possible.

Hope this info of use any other questions just ask there is always someone who can help.

Edited by Sanjam cruisers

We're on Ventura in July and have selected Freedom dining, has anyone had experience of this on Ventura?

We've always have Anytime dining on RCI and Celebrity but with those you can pre book a time and table requirements.

We are happier with a table for two, not because we are anti-social but because we both have hearing problems and it gets embarrassing keep asking people to repeat themselves.

Has anyone had experience of requesting a table for two with freedom dining? or should we go to Club dining and chance that we will be allocated a table for two?

Definately a better chance of a table for two on Freedom Dining. Weve done two cruises on P&O as a couple and have been given a table for two immediately about 90% of the time. The buzzer system works very well if you cannot be seated immediately. We think the system works better than on RCI and Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had Freedom dining on Ventura and asked for tables for two - it works well as there are 2 Freedon restaurants so we found we didn't have to wait long for a talble for two. They give you a buzzer and you can just get a drink while you wait.

We also liked one of the buffets in the evening turned into a waiter service restaurant and it was free when we went in 2013 but now there is a cover charge of £5 - well worth it though and there many tables for two in there.

Have a lovely time.

On ships with two freedom restaurants getting the table you want shouldn't involve a long wait. When Ventura had one getting a table for two meant either going very early or very late or having a very lengthy wait.

Grand Princess has two and we had no problem getting a table for 2-3. If one was busy they sent you to the other restaurant.

Has anyone had experience of requesting a table for two with freedom dining?

Yes, and for exactly the same reasons as you.

My experience was that there are a number of issues with asking for a table for two.

Firstly, there are a vastly insufficient number of tables for two on Ventura. You will always have to wait. OK sometimes it might only be five minutes, most nights it was 20-30 minutes, but one night it was 45 minutes.

Secondly, the bulk of the tables for two are arranged in rows, with one normal chair and the other being banquette seating. Now that would not be too bad, but the banquette seating has seen far too many bums, so the stuffing and covers have seen better days. That means you sink down into the seat, and sit far lower than comfortable.

Finally the tables for two that have two normal chairs are mostly squeezed into the worst parts of the restaurant, outside the kitchen door, immediately next to the waiter's station.

Yes, and for exactly the same reasons as you.

My experience was that there are a number of issues with asking for a table for two.

Firstly, there are a vastly insufficient number of tables for two on Ventura. You will always have to wait. OK sometimes it might only be five minutes, most nights it was 20-30 minutes, but one night it was 45 minutes.

Secondly, the bulk of the tables for two are arranged in rows, with one normal chair and the other being banquette seating. Now that would not be too bad, but the banquette seating has seen far too many bums, so the stuffing and covers have seen better days. That means you sink down into the seat, and sit far lower than comfortable.

Finally the tables for two that have two normal chairs are mostly squeezed into the worst parts of the restaurant, outside the kitchen door, immediately next to the waiter's station.

I have never been unhappy with any of my 2 seat tables.:cool:

Lucky or low expectations?

No, we have been happy too. Yes the bench seating can be a bit low but weve enjoyed meeting new people on the next table and chatting away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You'll have no problems I'd say getting a table for two. Ventura's dining rooms Saffron and Cinnamon had mostly two and 6 or 8 tables with a few four person tables.

Freedom dining is much better, you can basically turn up to the dining rooms whatever time you want.

I've had Freedom dining on Ventura and asked for tables for two - it works well as there are 2 Freedon restaurants so we found we didn't have to wait long for a talble for two. They give you a buzzer and you can just get a drink while you wait.

We also liked one of the buffets in the evening turned into a waiter service restaurant and it was free when we went in 2013 but now there is a cover charge of £5 - well worth it though and there many tables for two in there.

Have a lovely time.

Is it a charge of £5 per person ?

We were on Ventura at the beginning of March, the Beachouse Restaurant in the Evening had introduced a cover charge if £5.00 per person for entry, however the menu choices where there was a supplementary charge had been reduced by £5.00, IE : Lava Rock cooked Fillet state previously £7.50 now £2.50.

I believe the cover charge was introduced because a large number of people were using the restaurant but only taking the non supplementary charge menu choices and as seating is limited blocking availibility to those who were prepared to pay.

We use it at least twice every cruise as in my opinion it is good value for money, I would also recommend the Glasshouse for a meal, either the Tapas Menu, or the normal menu, the Taster Dinner is also good value for money.