New Ports

spf

Hoping that some kind person can advise on following ports:

St Peters Port

LA Coruna

Bilbao

LA Rochelle

All are new to us so any tips welcome.

Both like walking so not really bothered about excursions.

Travelling on Brittania for a week at end of May.

Thank you:)

Hi, I've done this itinerary. La Rochelle is really lovely and is a great place to wander round. There are 3 forts/towers right on the edge of the sea you can visit - we visited 2 but didn't have time for the third. Cost a few Euros. We also had a really nice lunch at a waterside restaurant sitting under umbrealls in the sun. We took the P&O free shuttle bus to the main area.

Bilbao, the "must see" is the Guggenheim museum which is an amazing sight itself and is full of modern art. Again we got the P&O shuttle into town and it was an easy walk to the Guggenheim. There were maps given out on the coach. There are old quarters too which may be nice for a wander but the weather was a bit iffy so we made our way back to the ship.

In La Coruna we did a ship's excursion to Santiago so I can't comment on La Coruna itself.

We didn't get to St Peter's Port due to the weather (we went to Cherbourg instead) but we've been there before on a land holiday and the harbour area is really nice to wander round and look at all the boats. There's also a castle with great views if that's your thing.

Hope that helps.

Hoping that some kind person can advise on following ports:

St Peters Port

LA Coruna

Bilbao

LA Rochelle

All are new to us so any tips welcome.

Both like walking so not really bothered about excursions.

Travelling on Brittania for a week at end of May.

Thank you:)

La Coruna - we had a great day there last April. When you get off the ship don't head into town head off towards the right and along the coastal path. You will see that you can follow the road or there will be chances to go closer to the sea. The coastal path is stunning and we loved our walk. It will take you past the ancient lighthouse and aquarium. You will eventually end up back in the town ---- when we got there we were so glad that we'd taken the scenic route!

Bilbao - have a look at the museum from the outside -- don't bother to go inside, to be quite honest we thought it was rubbish.

Not sure what we did at La Rochelle but I don't think it is a nice port. I think we did a wine tasting excursion which was very nice ;)

La Rochelle is lovely Presto! You must have just looked out at the dock area! It was our favourite port on that cruise - did help we had the best weather there too of course :)

9k=

Edited by P&O SUE

St Peterport in Guernsey

This is a tender port and because of rough seas and other weather problems like high wind tendering is sometimes impossible.

Only part of UK occupied by **** forces during WWII. Various sites of interest regarding this usually offered as tours underground in bunkers.

Tours in fast RIBs are available with regard to exhilarating excitement and close observation of nature.

Ferry service, usually best done with cruise line tour, to smaller island of Sark where no motor cars are permitted not even motorised ambulance. Carriage rides drawn by horses and diy cycle round the island is available.

Regards John

Grovel, grovel - La Rochelle is lovely - I remember now. Is it the one with the two towers in the harbour area? We did an excursion there and had the option of being dropped off in the harbour area.

I am getting mixed up with St Nazaire which had an amazing bridge to sail under, but the docks all around us were grim and smelly.

Interesting reading some one else's view of the museum in Bilbao - :D - I think we just like art that looks like something it is supposed to look like. :) If that makes sense. :)

I suppose the weather in La Coruna is hit and miss.:) We went at the end of April and though rain showers always threatened we only needed a thin fleece and t shirts -- and jeans of course. ;)

Grovel, grovel - La Rochelle is lovely - I remember now. Is it the one with the two towers in the harbour area? We did an excursion there and had the option of being dropped off in the harbour area.

I am getting mixed up with St Nazaire which had an amazing bridge to sail under, but the docks all around us were grim and smelly.

Interesting reading some one else's view of the museum in Bilbao - - I think we just like art that looks like something it is supposed to look like. If that makes sense.

I suppose the weather in La Coruna is hit and miss.:) We went at the end of April and though rain showers always threatened we only needed a thin fleece and t shirts -- and jeans of course. ;)

:D I'm glad you remembered La Rochelle! Yes it's the ones with the Towers, I tried to post a pic but it didn't work :(

Well yes that "art" did make us laugh at times but it was interesting to see :p Funny I don't have fond memories of La Coruna because it was raining heavily when we arrived and then we went to Santiago.

The weather in Northern Spain is like ours so you take pot luck! The Bay of Biscay was pretty calm though. I went in early June and the mornings were rainy but the afternoons often came out hot. I've been in the Bilbao area in July though (not on a cruise) and it was a heatwave!

Edited by P&O SUE

We are about to go on Brittania to Norway in a couple of weeks so v excited too.

I can comment on Guernsey as I grew up there and my parents still live there.

St Peter Port is a lovely cobbled town with a French feel. Castle Cornet is really interesting and worth a look. If you like fresh fish a leisurely lunch at Le Petit Bistro or Pier 17 would be top of my list. Both are in town but you may need to book ahead.

If it's a good day, Herm Island is 20 minutes by boat and is so beautiful. It has the best beaches. More about tickets here: http://www.traveltrident.com/sailing-times.htm. It should not cost you more than £12.50 each and there is a kiosk near North Beach pier where you can get tickets on the day. If you have a couple of hours in Herm, I would suggest a walk to Shell or Belvoir beaches with a drink in The Mermaid pub.

Sark is lovely too -a bit further out but great for cycling around.

I haven't been on one but I hear the rib tours are great fun.

If the weather is good and you do get to go ashore in Guernsey, it's a really lovely island.

Have a wonderful cruise!

In St Peter Port there is a local bus which will take you to the war museum. It is run by one very enthusiastic man and is worth a visit.

Edited by caber

In La Coruna we visited the grave of Sir John Moore. We were surprised to see a soldier still standing there. The tourist information in the main square can give you leaflets of different walks. There are also a couple of companies that will offer 2 hour bus tours just where you come off the ship.