Can cruise credit be used towards upsell?

SoCal Cruiser78

I did a search, and can't find that this has been asked before.

I have a cruise booked this fall on the Ruby, and have paid for the entire fare upfront with Princess Protection cruise credits from two cancelled cruises last year. I still have a small (less than $100) credit remaining, and am currently booked in an inside cabin. The current $ increase to upgrade to an OV or balcony isn't worth it, IMO, and am not sure I will be able to take another cruise before my credit expires.

My question is, if I get an upsell call at a decent rate to an OV or above, can I use my credit towards it? I know that if I call Princess ahead of time, I may get two different answers from two different reps, so want to know if any of you CCers have actually done this in the past?

Thanks in advance :).

I wwould think so. That credit is for the purchase of a cruise.

Note that what you are talking about is not an upsell. That is where the cruise line calls and offers an upgrade for a (usually) fairly low price. You are talking about an upgrade where you would pay the difference between the current price of the new cabin and what you paid for the original cabin.

...Note that what you are talking about is not an upsell. That is where the cruise line calls and offers an upgrade for a (usually) fairly low price. You are talking about an upgrade where you would pay the difference between the current price of the new cabin and what you paid for the original cabin.

Actually, I am asking if my credit can be used for an upsell. I know that it can be used for a paid upgrade, but the current $ spread between my inside and an OV or balcony is more than I am willing to pay. The last time I booked this cruise, I got an upsell call, so I am hoping for one again :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Actually, I am asking if my credit can be used for an upsell. I know that it can be used for a paid upgrade, but the current $ spread between my inside and an OV or balcony is more than I am willing to pay. The last time I booked this cruise, I got an upsell call, so I am hoping for one again :).

Probably a question better asked of Princess. I would ask the question 3 or 4 times via 3 or 4 separate calls. Might improve the odds of getting an accurate answer to the question. Maybe.......:cool:

Of course you also need to get that up-sell offer.....hmm, one thing at a time.....:rolleyes:

Edited by ar1950

Probably a question better asked of Princess. I would ask the question 3 or 4 times via 3 or 4 separate calls. Might improve the odds of getting an accurate answer to the question. Maybe.......:cool:

Of course you also need to get that up-sell offer.....hmm, one thing at a time.....:rolleyes:

If no CCers have a definitive answer, I suppose I will call Princess. In my experience, however, the phone reps generally will say that anything to do with upsells is not their department, and they are not allowed to connect callers to there. In other words, don't call us, we'll call you.

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd update this thread for those who may benefit from it in the future. I did get an upsell call, and was able to use the ~$100 credit balance in my personalizer towards the upsell. The credit was from a previous cancel-for-any-reason claim with Princess Protection.

I had previously contacted a Princess phone rep who was not able to provide a definitive answer, so now we know :).

I thought I'd update this thread for those who may benefit from it in the future. I did get an upsell call, and was able to use the ~$100 credit balance in my personalizer towards the upsell. The credit was from a previous cancel-for-any-reason claim with Princess Protection.

I had previously contacted a Princess phone rep who was not able to provide a definitive answer, so now we know :).

You should buy lottery tickets...2 upsell calls in 2 cruises...wow!!

You should buy lottery tickets...2 upsell calls in 2 cruises...wow!!

Upsell calls seem to be becoming far more common. A family member who hadn't sailed on Princess in many years recently got an upsell call on a cruise she booked. There is another thread about this. Those "in the know" say upsells will largely replace the free upgrades of the past.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar

Upsell calls seem to be becoming far more common. A family member who hadn't sailed on Princess in many years recently got an upsell call on a cruise she booked. There is another thread about this. Those "in the know" say upsells will largely replace the free upgrades of the past.
Why offer a free upgrade when you can get people to pay for one?

Why offer a free upgrade when you can get people to pay for one?

Brian...that's it! ;)

Apparently that's working well for Princess & their yield management computer's algorithm is providing additional income. We took the bait with a reasonably priced upsell from an inside to a deluxe balcony on a recent 17-day TA. :)

SoCal Cruiser78...thanks for the update. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer