Another Newbie to Seabourn

NoVa Mimi

We will be taking our first Seabourn cruise on the Odyssey in March 2017. I am beyond excited and I am trying to learn all I can in these preceding months. Most recently, we have been on Princess for our cruises, so this will be a big change and a very welcomed one as well! I am trying to find tips for Seabourn newbies as well as basic information. Are there laundry services or facilities onboard? We will be on for 14 days and I suspect we will need either service or facility. We depart from St. Martin and will be traveling from the Washington D.C. metro area. Does it make any sense getting a flight to San Juan then from there to St. Martin or should we just research flying to St. Martin with several connections? We will be in a forward V1 cabin on the 5th deck with the smaller balcony, are those balconies really small? We enjoy casual dining often after a long full day in port, are there casual dining venues available in the evenings? Does Seabourn have buffets and if so, are they better than many of the other lines catering the masses? I would be grateful for any information any of you may be willing to share.

Welcome to Seabourn, NoVa Mimi.

There will be lots of helpful advice winging your way, but might I suggest first that you go on to the referrals thread at the top, as you will be able to get in touch with someone on it and get both you and them a $400 credit when on board?

Yes there is a laundry room with free use of the facilities but as you are getting a shipboard credit your might want to use some of it it for Seabourn's famous $5O bag of laundry. All you can stuff ( and many have made an art form of stuffing lots of item in these bags) and everything comes back two days later beautifully laundered and if need be ironed. Then you can spend more time enjoying your holiday and not doing laundry.

There is casual dining on the Patio Grill most evenings. The Colonnade also has casual dining. There are buffets (not long conga line affairs) but table side service is also available. I have not been on Princess so can't say how it compares but certainly you will encounter fewer people. The service, warm and personal, is the hallmark of Seabourn and you will be pampered.

Welcome to Seabourn. We are former NoVa people (30 years Fairfax and Vienna). We discovered Seabourn 15 years ago and all of our cruise vacations since have been exclusively on them. If you have more questions please ask.

Glad you got your referral sorted - probably also easier if someone in your own country, as unless things have changed there is some old fashioned mailing involved.

I don't know about your flights, someone from the US will no doubt come on here to help. As Chairsin says, although you can do your own laundry (I do wash out undies and hang them over the bath each night) the laundry is marvellous, and things come back beautifully ironed, or, in the case of night and underwear, in a little basket in tissue paper!

The Colonnade is indoor and outdoor at the stern, and never long lines - bear in mind only 450 passengers max. But you can stay at your table for any meal and order from the staff, who will come and ask you if you want to order. In the dining room - which may only be open for dinner on your cruise - you go when you want from 7 to 9, have a table for 2 if you wish, or join others. You will probably get some invites from Officers or entertainment staff - tables of 8 to 10. There is no obligation to say yes if you prefer not to, just let reception know in good time.

Since you would change planes in San Juan anyway, why not research alternative routes to St. Martin; the last time I flew there it was San Francisco-Newark-St. Martin. I also advise arriving on the day before (at least) you embark in case of any delays. There is a delightful hotel with its own beach in St. Martiin: Holland House Hotel.

Keep asking away--Seabournites love to share.

Winnie, perhaps Newark to St Martin is an option but as they would be flying north to go south from DCA or IAD to EWR before the leg to EWR to SXM it might add more time than it saves them. But hey you never know with airline routes these days. My suggestion is to to go to ITA Matrix first, plug in the dates and see what comes up. From there it is then just a matter of trading off time/convenience versus $.

Thank you all for such warm welcomes! I was so pleasantly surprised to see such kind and thoughtful tips so quickly! Another very kind member has offered to assist me with a referral coupon. You all are so nice 🙂 Using the laundry service sounds like a wonderful idea! Chairsin,we are in Manassas and have been here almost 30 years. The area has just exploded with growth and the traffic problems that one would expect with great growth. I am a nurse and work at Fair Oaks Hospital campus and it takes me 1-1 1/2 hours to drive 12 miles...nuts! I had family in the Vienna area.

I have never used the ITA matrix, but I will be checking it out. Thank you all for your tips!

We are really looking forward to our first cruise on Seabourn and I know that we will enjoy every moment!

NovaMimi

Glad we could be of some help. We moved away from NoVa 12 years ago returning twice a year to visit my Dad and the two things we notice the most are the humidity and the traffic. I feel for you your with your long commute. You will really appreciate a relaxing Seabourn holiday.

At to ITA Matrix it is a terrific research tool. After you find a flight you want you then go to the airline website to actually book it.

I forgot to mention something in my first post that I hope is not a deal killer for you. As you mentioned you enjoy casual dining you should be aware of the dress code for most evenings will be "elegant casual." Per Seabourn's guidelines this means :

"Men - slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater ( jacket optional)

Ladies- slacks/skirt, blouse, pantsuit or dress

This is the dress standard in ALL dining venues

Jeans are welcome are not appropriate for the Restaurant after 6PM. "

I only bring this up because if you guys enjoy dining at night in T-shirts and shorts your only option will be your balcony. Hope this doesn't ruin it for your but better you know now than be unhappy once onboard!

Hello NoVA Mimi. I too am a Virginian, albeit from the southeastern corner, and I was also a long time Princess cruiser (plus a number of other mass market cruise lines). We sailed on our first Seabourn cruise in 2013 and we were converted. Since then my husband and I have been on a couple of other Seabourn cruises and have another booked next year. I hope you will enjoy your cruise as much as we have enjoyed ours.

Frankly, once you have sailed on a Seabourn cruise IMHO there is no comparison to a Princess cruise despite the fact that we always sailed in an Owner's Suite.

We learned about the $50 laundry bag from our first cabin stewardess and have become masters at stuffing them. We don't do laundry ourselves on cruises. That's a chore that I like to leave at home.

If I were looking for air from the NoVA DC area, I would look for flights from there through Charlotte direct to St. Martin. I think American has a number of flights following that route and Charlotte is not a bad airport as they go.

We go up to NoVA several times a year and I understand the traffic problems. We generally go up on Fridays and we have taken to driving west from southeastern VA to I 81 and then driving in via I 66. We don't just avoid traffic that way; we get to explore wineries and vineyards as we go. :) We've found some good ones along the way!

I'm certain you will have a wonderful cruise on Seabourn. The experience is so different from the one on Princess or any other large ship.

Chairsin, no we don't go quite that casual (T-shirts, shorts) and elegant casual, per their description, will be great. We just do not like taking a lot of formal wear as we tend to over pack at any rate and well, I can become ridiculous with all that I take to wear...just in case I will need something. :)

Sunviking, thank you for the suggestion of looking at something through Charlotte. We had a layover there once and I too found it to be a rather nice little airport. Thank you fellow Virginian!

Make sure you browse through all of the topics here as they'll give you a sense of the Seabourn experience. It will be completely different from your Princess cruise, I suspect, from the room size to the service and inclusivity. You don't get nickeled and dimed (or even up sold) on SB, and it's a real pleasure. Staff knows your name, your drinks preference and service in the cabins can be butler style. (You can ask for baths drawn, coffee served, etc.) Just prepare to enjoy being catered to for a week without worry of what it's costing.

You don't need to worry about bringing (or sneaking) waters, etc on as is common on the mass market cruises and, in fact, you may bring wines from your own cellar (or your touring around) onboard with no problem.

The suites will be very different than Princess and with far fewer people.

Re: St. Martin. American Airlines flies directly into St. Martin from several US cities and I would choose that option. Try to avoid (if you can) flying into SJU and transferring to a small Caribbean airline. We have to use that option for Tortola and it's truly misery -- expensive, off schedule, chaotic. Frankly, I would just avoid SJU.

Thank you so much for the flight information as I was looking into that exact scenario (to SJU then to St.Martin. rwilmeth, do many use the butler services? I just cannot imagine what a pampering treat/experience this is all going to be! Bath drawn,wow! I have never been pampered, well when I was a child but that really doesn't count ;) Also, not having someone try to sell us something throughout each day :) All of this just tickles my fancy!!

I do have two questions, if I may. I am wondering about the cabin and the difference between Princess and Seabourn in that regards. Could you enlighten me?

Also, on the lines, the coffee served onboard is NOT coffee, but rather coffee syrup...disgusting swill. Is one able to get real brewed coffee on Seabourn? We do love our coffee!

Edited by NoVa Mimi

Thank you so much for the flight information as I was looking into that exact scenario (to SJU then to St.Martin. rwilmeth, do many use the butler services? I just cannot imagine what a pampering treat/experience this is all going to be! Bath drawn,wow! I have never been pampered, well when I was a child but that really doesn't count ;) Also, not having someone try to sell us something throughout each day :) All of this just tickles my fancy!!

I do have two questions, if I may. I am wondering about the cabin and the difference between Princess and Seabourn in that regards. Could you enlighten me?

Also, on the lines, the coffee served onboard is NOT coffee, but rather coffee syrup...disgusting swill. Is one able to get real brewed coffee on Seabourn? We do love our coffee!

Real coffee all the time Seabourn square, with lovely little whatever's, sandwiches, mini buns you name it. Lines don't exist on Seabourn. The nearest you get to a line is on a caviar day when three or four guests might just turn up at once. But there is always enough for everyone, so why queue? I've only cruised wit Seabourn and would not risk the disappointment of another line.

You need to understand the butler scenario. It really isn't a guy in fancy pants and an English accent, more your delightfully helpful room lady stewardess who will run your bath and add essential oils, my only problem is getting someone to haul me out😀 . We have been In the Med on our cruises and had glorious times.

I remember making some good friends and learning they were celebrating a special anniversary. So decided on a special little party in our suite (veranda nothing grand). Seabourn square organised it all. Invitations to invitees, wine, champagne, canapes, caviar, whatever, all in our suite on time cost nothing. Wonderful memory.

In the Square there is a coffee shop with Barista and a selection of pastries, biscuits (cookies) and sandwiches. All inclusive.

You will be able to get your favourite coffee.

Oh, and they have ice cream there as well.

The whole Seabourn experience is much removed from mainstream cruising. You are treated as a human, not cattle to be herded around. The answer is yes, what is the question?

As with all things in life you get out what you put in. You seem an upbeat sort of person and so I'm sure you will have an amazing time. Lots of dining options, lots of opportunity to meet new people, a variety of cabaret shows and entertainment. If you like playing bridge there is a card room where husbands and wives can argue about why someone called 3 non trumps or something along those lines.

An enrichment programme sees a few speakers deliver talks, so might appeal some might not, there is an ongoing Trivia quiz when at sea which always sparks healthy debate and forges new friendships.

All the cabins are excellent compared to mainstream offerings. About twice the size, very good bathroom. Don't worry about the balcony on a V1 suite, it's fine there is just a metal section lower down on top of which sits 10 inches of glass then the railing. You will hear noise from the anchor as it's deployed and the winch gear as you arrive in port. This lessens as you move upwards and midship.

Any more questions post away :)

Henry

NoVaMimi, you will be delighted by little unexpected surprises on Seabourn. Just two to whet you appetite. On one cruise, the chef developed appendicitis and have to be taken off to Gibraltar. The ship wasn't due to go there so we just stopped out in the strait to wait for the ambulance boat. It got really cold as everyone was on deck watching the transfer. Next thing, the staff came round and gave everyone a little bucket of fries (we call them chips) to warm us up. The chef was fine btw. Second thing. Our room stewardess on another cruise was Portuguese and at a fabulous international event in the bar with amazing food and drink from all round the world, I mentioned to her that I love the little Portuguese custard tarts. Next thing 6 of them are delivered to our room. Seabourn is great.

Oh my goodness, all of you are so kind! However I must share, each of you has contributed to a great sense of excitement regarding our first Seabourn cruise! I don't know if I can possibly wait...real coffee, pastries AND ice cream! It really sounds like the staff go all out to ensure one has a pleasant and memorable cruise. I do hope that someday I will have an opportunity to meet each of you, you have taken me by the hand and are leading me into an unbelievably exciting experience, thank you! :)

I case you fly to St Martin for your pre cruise stay, do stay on the french side of the island. It is so much more beautiful then the dutch side, and the food is to die for. The dutch side is soooo touristy, ugly and overfilled. And this is coming from a dutch guy.....

The rooms ("suites") on SB are the size of generous US hotel rooms with a sitting area, bar area, and, of course, the veranda. You can pre-order coffee on your veranda at a set time each day -- and the steward will bring it. Also handle any laundry, needs, (Champagne replenishes, additional needs for the bar, etc). Most days, I come in from the pool around 4 and order caviar service -- which arrives shortly to the cabin. Caviar with breakfast is always a treat (mimosas, usually, too). Don't forget to treat yourself to spa services -- nothing like a massage with the sea passing by.