MSC Divina 4rd July, 2015 - Review with pictures

CruiseIreland

We took no photos of food for two reasons, 1. We enjoy dining without snapping a photo of everything and 2. With tablemates it feels a little awkward. So, here are our verdicts on the MDR offerings.

Food, of course, is a very subjective topic but we sailed on Preziosa the previous September. We are divided into two camps – I think the food was better on Divina because I eat beef and I found the beef very good, not huge portions, but nice, including one very good NY strip steak. My wife, on the other hand, prefers fish and found most offerings overcooked and oversalted. Exceptions were the scorpion fish and sword fish. There is one less course on the Divina as they have dropped the pasta course and integrated that as a starter choice. Most starters and soups were quite tasty and hot enough. For mains, we had:

Prime rib – good, in slices

Scorpion Fish - good

Filet Steak – good in slices

Hake - good

Veal – good

Salmon filet – overcooked and salty

NY Strip Steak – very good

Seafood Risotto – not good/not much seafood

Aloo Mutter curry – good spicy curry but I also had the chicken parmesan main to supplement this vegetarian dish

Parmesan Chicken was ok.

Veal Ossobucco – plenty of meat on the bone but a bit tasteless in my opinion.

Soups varied. Choice of consommé or cream soup. Some chilled fruit soup. Quite good.

Desserts were just ok but I find all ship desserts fairly tasteless. Exception was the Torta Caprese and a chocolate Fudge Cake.

Wine

We were on the Allegrissimo package and this time, they just left the bottle on the table. The included wine seemed better when poured from freshly opened bottle or maybe it was because we could help ourselves! As an after dinner treat, we ordered Sambucca or Grand Marnier.

Buffet offerings generally very good. Real crispy bacon, decent sausages and lots more. We had breakfast in the MDR on our last morning. It was very good but we don't care for the communal tables at breakfast.

Pizza in the buffet was excellent.

Thanks so much for your review! We are going in September and have been looking for Mediterranean reviews.

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy your cruise. If you have any specific questions, l will try to answer.

Edited by CruiseIreland

We had seen a lot of the shows on the MSC Preziosa last September, so we didn’t bother getting ready early for the shows. We did catch the Pirates show, much tumbling and a clear homage to Pirates of the Carribbean. The Michael Jackson Show was very good. Shows we did not catch were Witches of Paris, Wonderland, Opera and Italian Songs.

Around the ship, there would be a trio in the atrium and a duo in the la Luna Bar and a very talented pianist usually appeared at the Atrium each night to fill in.

Photo from the Michael Jackson tribute show:

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3Bi.wa9EgJX6P7RD17TkKEB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfAiPBK.OdczhCZ8mdQwZ8r4Twg7iLhH90gb2PTV7X.gFAknhinuBBIHVSARjFXypghBvZT6yp3SXY0yJLg54C05&rendersize=fit1600x1600

We had seen a lot of the shows on the MSC Preziosa last September, so we didn’t bother getting ready early for the shows. We did catch the Pirates show, much tumbling and a clear homage to Pirates of the Carribbean. The Michael Jackson Show was very good. Shows we did not catch were Witches of Paris, Wonderland, Opera and Italian Songs.

Around the ship, there would be a trio in the atrium and a duo in the la Luna Bar and a very talented pianist usually appeared at the Atrium each night to fill in.

Photo from the Michael Jackson tribute show:

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3Bi.wa9EgJX6P7RD17TkKEB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfAiPBK.OdczhCZ8mdQwZ8r4Twg7iLhH90gb2PTV7X.gFAknhinuBBIHVSARjFXypghBvZT6yp3SXY0yJLg54C05&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Because you boarded in Civi, Ken, your last port will be Naples. I was hoping to read what you did there but you may not get to post it before I leave - I'm heading (very early, as in 2.30AM!) on Wednesday morning. Anyway, I've got good info so far for the other ports, thanks for that. :)

Interesting that you found Divina's decor a tad nicer than Preziosa's - I was hoping it would be. I find the colour schemes on Preziosa a bit harsh, with a lot of grey, though I loved the ship itself. My favourite, so far, is Splendida. It's softer and warmer with a lot of gold tones throughout.

I was also interested to hear that you found the menu offerings slightly different, too. I think MSC were hoping to have more from the US on her in the Med and set the menus accordingly. You said there was more beef offered - I'm sooo glad to hear that. I'd agree with your better half - the fish is often over-cooked. On Gala night in YC last year, I handed back the salmon it was so bad! I've made a point of eating as much fish as possible when on a cruise as I don't cook it often enough at home, but, apart from the swordfish (as your DW found), most of it is not great. I don't have sauces on mine which doesn't help! I don't know what type of fish was on the 'Always available' menu on my recent TA, but it was dire! Unfortunately, it wasn't salmon which is what's usually on in the Med.

I need to go and start packing - in the meantime, I'll be keeping an eye on the site for further updates to your review .................. keep them coming :cool:

Our last shore trip was in Naples as we did not get off the ship at Barcelona, having land tripped and stayed pre cruise before. Neither of us are that keen on Barcelona..heresy l know!

Anyway, on to Naples. I had unfinished business as I had been unwell the last time we had stopped here on NCL Epic. Courtesy of a poster on Cruise Critic, we had an itinerary that covered three worthwhile attractions: Pio Monte della Misericordia http://www.piomontedellamisericordia.it/, Capella Sansevero http://www.museosansevero.it/it/ and Palazzos Zevallos Stigliano http://www.gallerieditalia.com/en/palazzi/palazzo-zevallos-stigliano.

I had, with the help of posters on Cruise Critic, established that the new metro stop at the port, Municipio, would be a starting point. The station is situated across the building works directly in front of the terminal building, beside Castel Nuovo, http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/EN/IDPagina/1372. From here the line goes 2 stops, Universita’ and Garibaldi, the main train station. We bought the all day integrated ticket, valid for metro, bus and trams within the city, but not Pompei or Herculaneum at €4.50 each. Exiting Garibaldi, and using a combination of tourist map and the position of the sun, I got us lost and we ended up asking for directions from 3 people we met. They were very helpful and we eventually found Via dei Tribunali. This is a surprisingly narrow street, cobbled and one way to traffic. We found our first target, Pio Monte, as it closes at 14.30. This is a beautiful church and gallery which houses a Caravaggio and many church treasures.

PICs of Pio Monte

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3OJ.3HkbQNn9LZWPXMW6S1D&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfQD7GiQA5.JrucC.2d3AMdZ-w0WxDbbH9ZDojs8rgWOoXQUK3zzUrjBa6TiIvC5AZrE.bRxQkqke1w9qamrdTlg&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Inside the chapel

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7IIPBXcGvn4.jB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tPr67W9uZ3hYqCqEqfc50ZbSaAsthrb8qf2pQ-2lmpm8nDX5HWOm3YwHCv7E4Jp9xdzHA3sGYu3KD&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Dome of Pio Monte

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3OJ.3HkbQNn9ZdeznD-SUOB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfg7nbsjMxC0bFanOxqh2nz3zGdjOUpm-fpLNBxB9xVWDcM6y7eFA9EQzO9eq-Gwj9qE.bRxQkqkeNOvtBFuOL-8&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Caravaggio's The Seven Works of Mercy

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7I4e0uEMQ2InUD&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfgZwdXutSTaHwGx4oPr6RwDp1Knf6rE.Vrwlf1rOkHWUzhkEQhvAxFwT218tcfoPisouI.cY8OZ6ft9y7gXqh4L&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Church treasures in the upper gallery.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7IomT7RqHHjUuB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tP.IVlFG0k4FplntedNmRSdO7Mk01NZRMMYkdKXBrz3JrwPV4ggmgytbefdIEY5z5GtOxVDWMZj.t39iEsZWpa8&rendersize=fit1600x1600

The Caravaggio seen from 1st floor gallery.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7IYokee9xjfNiB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfAvn8dTtuY91IVRx1yb6VAwMCcLYNxPKXVK88mnAdmWejvP-zllMOIuDVAEqk4.VBwRPhTMtyaweFvjbXxtXWjN&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Little Piazza off Tribunali opposite Pio Monte della Misericordia

Walking further along Tribunali and across the junction with Via Duomo, look out for signs to Capella Sansevero. http://www.museosansevero.it/en/ The left turn is near a tall, red brick, tower.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7II618-jWJikLD&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfQD7GiQA5.JrmqFAaHbwjU3topeCL9x0woL5DI5yNSBfwxj7qwURwRnBdPT68wTN.bFz-PNptxHmPd-V6delSfQ&rendersize=fit350x350

There are some signs indicating the direction. The street is Calata S. Severo Pietrasanta, follow this to turn left onto Via de Sanctis Franceso. The ticket office is in the building adjacent to the Capella and across an alleyway. Entering the chapel, we were struck by the richness of the sculpture and ornamentation. There are no photos allowed – there are guards on duty to enforce this - l tried but was rumbled - but there are plenty on the net. The main attraction is the sculpture of the Veiled Christ. Downstairs are two skeletons on which the blood circulatory system has been remarkably preserved or modelled – no one is quite sure which it is. Leaving Capella Sansevero, we walked back to Tribunali and turned left, walked a short distance and through Port’Alba and out into Piazza Dante.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3OJ.3HkbQNn9loyE5VwpKQA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfgDg..Sd-dTd-D7tgj4TqUNClaBCsuchQB8jV8Bo45HHssS35.3whFy-hJi62oKRRG43Buyo1QfKA&rendersize=fit350x350

Alleyway off Tribunali - note the cat on the car roof

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7Io32D5dJgM1gB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfQwHh6.WO4-n5Pkt1prbRnZgVSOQeh3SAOMG9M7elywm4vlzn5AN.K9c4bngLOGkRgP82R.EYT080Gjhdjv40Tl&rendersize=fit350x350

Doorway on Tribunali

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7IYz--XJKH3u0B&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tfLbThQmpD6p3GjiTeA8cQtzRBKSecGM1IlZqmRLWPqh.g5uXVclaziH79MQoh4ksA.Arslt6HQ93D9nth4avYS&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Piazza Dante

Turned left here and walked down Via Toledo towards our third target, Palazzos Zevallos Stigliano. This is a long walk but downhill and easy. However, when we reached the gallery, the heat was taking its toll on feet and body, so we skipped the gallery, leaving it for next visit. We walked on towards Galleria Umberto. This is a magnificent shopping arcade but there is a lot of scaffolding inside.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3Bi.wa9EgJXKtHvtmj9CTfB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6t-1kMJeFYWGl6XV0eROKKYPnFB-2gW.Y83qMODaPxM5eekvCAm51whDSqIzhK2-V9Xzo3LsK33V7dJjKGMsnAD7&rendersize=fit1600x1600

We leave Galleria Umberto

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3OJ.3HkbQNntj05A7boFnOA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6t-WLE1r32HrK-WTbkk7qhey4wqA04NDGdB9G80UMfjwMZ880R.vUrVToKstttPPPBjWC9l5TjBxTpat5ScQEkKH&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Leaving the galleria we walked towards Piazza del Plebiscito

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3cvkJB9wS8LWZj54-HCKETC&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tfmE67iGbYJYJVKtafhz6IB5Aqjojt3gRl0i7DuDkQy4g.CkpNjNrqGJcdOUDXWcTTTsLMCtzw19UnbSvrBFflO&rendersize=fit1600x1600

and from there around the seafront to the ship. We came across this fellow as we walked..

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7IotNqfYZWf-NB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v459.il2oFgfw6ILONrO6Ag7pjsdvVSzL5f68hkG-hjKhOGH74VDU5UEyWUemfxcugODeJVgBr3xDp5igOx1wEMtaW9PlJBIXn&rendersize=fit350x350

Statue of Roman General, Graffiticus, who founded Naples and named it after a local ice cream.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7Io0C8n.SrUW1A&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tvk2fEvcMZaNtS0k1zRr6w5cHJ-HxzrAAobSgLXYzKqGFsmUbHYgf.w9ZOKgLnnqiTiOG.SRBUhuAnrHFyKtmHF&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Divina and Vesuvius

Divina was docked next to Allure of the Seas

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3ASSefZ6l7IIAsQX4UMFOYD&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tPr67W9uZ3hYyniKidH.WSH2pFxesWaCjo1a2qJWyJ1wKrW3fAQDaY1AAtfsfCXZOngpZ8ufH8o4D&rendersize=fit1600x1600

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3cvkJB9wS8L2aV-k-Xv2VcB&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6tfuCS5yKm78LhefdRhBqVVG5uC-gZXe7A4ZbMOpNzbV40u8ghvvfmv5simhh-4ibgTRp64hGtV4Np1WXPGB.FXs&rendersize=fit1600x1600

Sunset over Ischia as we sail away from Naples

The terminal has nice shops, snack bars and WiFi that just requires a small purchase, €2. Naples was very hot but otherwise tourist friendly. We never felt threatened and people we asked were very helpful. Of course, don’t wear ostentatious jewellery and handbags/shoulder bags. Watch out on transport and busy streets. Keep a hand on your phone/wallet.

Edited by CruiseIreland

Thanks a mil, Ken :D

I'm in the middle of cooking dinner so I'll have a good gander later! I was going to give Naples a miss - I really want to visit Capri - but your photos are giving me pause for thought. Perhaps I'll be able to fit in both with some planning, I guess. Cheers! ;)

Thanks a mil, Ken :D

I'm in the middle of cooking dinner so I'll have a good gander later! I was going to give Naples a miss - I really want to visit Capri - but your photos are giving me pause for thought. Perhaps I'll be able to fit in both with some planning, I guess. Cheers! ;)

In all fairness, Bea, we spent a week in Sorrento a couple of years back. We did Pompeii and the Amalfi coast including the hydrofoil spin from Naples, so we wanted a different take on Naples. So if you have a Capri itch, you gotta scratch it!

It doesn't sound like you have kids, so you may not have noticed, but I was wondering if there were chicken nuggets on the ship? We have 2 picky toddlers with us. I've heard from others there were, but they sailed the Caribbean and I'm not sure if the Mediterranean is different.

Also, what were the items in the MDR that are always available?

I'm glad to hear they have good beef options.

Did you notice if they had yogurt, cold cereal, or pancakes at breakfast?

Bea, maybe you can try to look if the reviewer doesn't recall. :)

Thanks so much!

In all fairness, Bea, we spent a week in Sorrento a couple of years back. We did Pompeii and the Amalfi coast including the hydrofoil spin from Naples, so we wanted a different take on Naples. So if you have a Capri itch, you gotta scratch it!

I'm thinking we may just spend the morning in Capri, then have a wander in Naples for the afternoon. You've made it look interesting and I think it's doable. I can't imagine spending more than a couple of hours in either place, anyway and I'd like to get the hydrofoil back early before it gets busy with people returning to the ship. I have a western Med cruise booked for 2017 which takes in Naples and am thinking of doing Pompeii then. But, yeah, I do have an "itch" for Capri that I really need to scratch!

I'd love to spend a week on the Amalfi coast and go exploring. I haven't had a land-based trip in quite a while (apart from a combined Lake Garda/Venice visit with an east-Med cruise in May last year). Maybe I'll combine it with my June 2017 on the Meraviglia, though it might be a bit risky as that's an inaugural sailing and I'm planning on being prepared for anything to happen with that one! We'll be boarding in Barcelona, so maybe not such a good idea after all!

I'm with you on Barcelona, too - doesn't quite hit the spot for me. It's a great embarkation port, though. Handy for cheap flights and close to the airport. The port terminal isn't bad, either.

I'd better get on with this packing - it's such a chore. I'm really trying this time to leave the kitchen sink behind. It's so much easier to just bring everything :rolleyes:

It doesn't sound like you have kids, so you may not have noticed, but I was wondering if there were chicken nuggets on the ship? We have 2 picky toddlers with us. I've heard from others there were, but they sailed the Caribbean and I'm not sure if the Mediterranean is different.

Also, what were the items in the MDR that are always available?

I'm glad to hear they have good beef options.

Did you notice if they had yogurt, cold cereal, or pancakes at breakfast?

Bea, maybe you can try to look if the reviewer doesn't recall. :)

Thanks so much!

Hi. We travelled as a couple but we often passed the children's area of the buffet. YES, they certainly do have chicken nuggets and hash browns, fries etc. Many an adult slunk sheepishly along the children's buffet for nuggets etc.

Yes, loads of yogurts, cereals and pancakes, Danish pastries, fresh fruit, chopped fruit, crispy bacon, sausage links, fried, scrambled and omelettes eggs.

The MDR varied every night but followed the format. A starter which could include prawns, samosa, pasta, then soup ( consomme, creamed soup or sometimes a cold fruit soup), a meat[ beef, lamb or pork] chicken or fish, desserts included cheesecake, fruit, cheese plate (not rated by DW) and my favorite, the torta caprese. No coffee or tea but we always finished off with a liquer, sambuca or grand marnier...we were on Allegrissimo!

I'm thinking we may just spend the morning in Capri, then have a wander in Naples for the afternoon.

Hi Bea. How excited you must be this close to embarkation. If you have time on your return from Capri, maybe after lunch onboard, you could stroll across the Piazza roadworks and veer around the back of Castel Nuovo. This brings you to the Teatro Di San Carlo, Europe's oldest opera house http://www.teatrosancarlo.it/en/. From there, turn right and wander through Galleria Umberto http://www.italyguides.it/en/campania/naples/galleria-umberto-i .

You can wander up Via Toledo for a bit and take any right back towards the ship. You'll get a taste of Naples. You could also call in to Palazzos Zevallos Stigliano http://www.gallerieditalia.com/en/palazzi/palazzo-zevallos-stigliano . They have a Caravaggio!

Whatever you do, have a great cruise Bea and please report back!

Hi. We travelled as a couple but we often passed the children's area of the buffet. YES, they certainly do have chicken nuggets and hash browns, fries etc. Many an adult slunk sheepishly along the children's buffet for nuggets etc.

Yes, loads of yogurts, cereals and pancakes, Danish pastries, fresh fruit, chopped fruit, crispy bacon, sausage links, fried, scrambled and omelettes eggs.

The MDR varied every night but followed the format. A starter which could include prawns, samosa, pasta, then soup ( consomme, creamed soup or sometimes a cold fruit soup), a meat[ beef, lamb or pork] chicken or fish, desserts included cheesecake, fruit, cheese plate (not rated by DW) and my favorite, the torta caprese. No coffee or tea but we always finished off with a liquer, sambuca or grand marnier...we were on Allegrissimo!

Thank you so much for this info! My 2 year old lives on chicken nuggets and yogurt :)

Hi Bea. How excited you must be this close to embarkation. If you have time on your return from Capri, maybe after lunch onboard, you could stroll across the Piazza roadworks and veer around the back of Castel Nuovo. This brings you to the Teatro Di San Carlo, Europe's oldest opera house http://www.teatrosancarlo.it/en/. From there, turn right and wander through Galleria Umberto http://www.italyguides.it/en/campania/naples/galleria-umberto-i .

You can wander up Via Toledo for a bit and take any right back towards the ship. You'll get a taste of Naples. You could also call in to Palazzos Zevallos Stigliano http://www.gallerieditalia.com/en/palazzi/palazzo-zevallos-stigliano . They have a Caravaggio!

Whatever you do, have a great cruise Bea and please report back!

Cheers, Ken - that sounds like a great idea - I mean, the bit about wandering around Naples :D Though I hope to have an enjoyable cruise. Looking forward to Divina having been on the other 3 Fantasia class ships. I believe there are a couple of crew members onboard who I've gotten to know from previous trips which I'm delighted about. I tend to interact a lot with the crew and have great craic with them over the course of the week(s).

Being in YC this time, it's going to be difficult to convince myself to leave the ship at all! Might not be a good idea to go back for lunch LOL. I do like the idea of strolling through Naples for the afternoon if it's not too hot. I hadn't planned to, but your photos convinced me it's worth a deco. I know it has a reputation, but then, so does Barcelona! I'll just keep my wits about me - same as any town or city anywhere.

Thanks, again, for the good wishes. :)

Hope this works as it contains mostly links.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/09/27/guide-to-cruise-ship-art-auctions/

In four previous cruises, we were not aware of nor saw any art auctions. On this cruise, we were aware of the publicity onboard about an upcoming auction. There was a preview on a port day which we did not bother with - saw a guy talking about art in the atrium as we passed by - but on the sea day, I persuaded herself to come along for (a) the chance to win a cruise and (b) the free prosecco. This second reason was a red herring as we had the Allegrissimo package!

The artists on board were Bill Mack, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mack_(sculptor) and Gary Welton http://www.mnoriginal.org/episode/424-amy-baur-and-brian-boldon-greycoats/gary-welton/, both from the USA. I had never heard of either, I confess, but their stuff looks very good. We were particularly taken with Bill Mack’s initiative in buying the old ‘Hollywoodland’ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Sign *sign and making pieces of art out of it. They are very impressive pieces. On the preceding day, I noticed a couple boarding the ship at Palma, just ahead of us. I won’t say why they stuck with me because it is not relevant. That evening, we were enjoying a drink at the forward Piano Bar, just above the Casino, smoky atmosphere and all, when we noticed the lady of that couple in conversation with the artist Gary Welton. How nice, I thought, friends of the artist. On auction day, I was not surprised to see this couple and two other couples in conversation with both Bill Mack and Gary Welton. The auctioneer was an American guy named Mitch, who regaled us all about how Dreams Fine Art could sell pieces by noted artists at well below retail because they don’t have the overheads of a gallery on Rodeo Drive etc. Very plausible. Eventually, the *auction started with a couple of giveaways. I answered a question and received a prize of a ‘piece of art’, a nice print, not signed or numbered, value – the paper and ink, if that. No matter. The auction proper started off with some cheaper prints, snapped up quickly. Finally, they came to the large pieces by Bill Mack, if I recall correctly, a Frank Sinatra, a Marilyn Monroe and a Liz Taylor, stunning paintings on metal shingles from the Hollywood sign. I was stunned when these three pieces sold for $65–69 thousand each. Yes, that’s right $65,000 to $69,000 each! *To my surprise, the buyers were of the couples I mention above. Hmm, a bit of a co-incidence? One of the buyers admitted to owning 5 of these pieces already.

procsimple?imageID=04wq1xPzaIBNvDwI7DoWdQo1xX-gdqxCyFd6oqxtJ26Q5tnUOpNnn0Jx4zeGtCaH3Ldf3cmMKvKE8BXzu87FwIA&rotation=0&cropll=0.0,0.0&cropur=1.0,1.0&effect=Auto&DATA=v4PJoxrjqw6t-tnoHk5uBz9oV5PdXW2tQMaLcOfXafEKvR8u94dJ7xzuhNwStnG.gYJ665uMs0xm4RPlLsZjJAI.HAWMzrTgN3&rendersize=fit350x350

Is this worth $65,000?

Anyway, we now come to the important bit – the draw for a free cruise! The cards were all contained in a perspex box. Mitch called up a child from the audience, a pretty little girl from South Africa. Mitch stirred up the tickets and asked the little girl to pick one, which she did. Mitch took the ticket and declared the winner’s name. To all of our surprise and delight, it was the buyer of one of the Bill Mack pieces. Well, after shelling out $65k, he would need a free cruise, wouldn’t he?

Later that evening or the next, we were having a drink at the Piano bar again when Bill Mack and other guests arrived from the forward elevators (from the Yacht Club perhaps?). This party included at least two of the buyers of the large value pieces. It was really nice to see them hanging out together after buying those large value pieces.

A few other pieces sold, from a couple of hundred to $4,000. Overall, not many *sales.

We disembarked at about 10.00am and waited for the free shuttle to the port gate. At the port gate, there seemed only one option and sign, that was for the €2 shuttle back to the train station. No sign of the cheaper orange bus. We queued and paid the €2. As our turn approached, the orange ‘cheap’ bus pulled up and we were told to load on. You have to drag on your luggage on this bus. Clearly, on busy days, they have a deal with the €2 coach crowd. Clever!!

Overall, we loved MSC Divina. Food was good, entertainment was very good and we made good use of the Allegrissimo package. It's the best value for cruising in the Med.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...