Regent full day tour to Hanoi, recommendations/comments

briar14

We will be in Ha Long Bay in 2 days. I would appreciate any comments on the 11-hour tour to Hanoi. Long bus tours are not my favorite thing. Thank you.

We did a tour to Hanoi back in 2013 on the Navigator.

On this excursion, We took a helicopter to Hanoi and a coach back. The helicopter was a new experience.

The coach back was a 3 hr+ ordeal and this was half at night. I would assume it would be the same going as coming back. You will see alot secenery, but a long ride.

My advice is to this this with a private tour and guide. First you will be far more comfortable in your own car than on a bus with forty other people. You can set the agenda of exactly what you want to see, make changes if needed etc.Even if it's one of Regent's excluded excursions it's worth the money to be independent. And tours in Viet Nam are very reasonable.

We did Hanoi in '09 on the first day and then a Ha Long bay boat excursion on the second day.

Hanoi was 3 1/2 hour bus trip each way. Return was mostly at night. For me this was a "one and done" trip. I don't plan to ever visit Hanoi again. But it was a good excursion and I am glad I went. Seeing the Hanoi "Hilton" where Sen John McCain was held captive and Uncle Ho's tomb was the highlight for me. Also the drive/tour made an interesting comparison between the (still, at least in '09) Communist North and more liberal South, Saigon region.

The next day Ha Long bay is a not to be missed ShoreEx because of the scenery.

For me, personally, I would have been leery in '09 of doing a private for such a long trip to Hanoi, but that was 8 years ago and maybe things have changed. And if you were to do the private on the first day, any delays would not cause you to potentially miss the ship.

j

40/595