Best time to see bears?

Thinking of booking a Disney cruise the last week of May or possibly the 3rd or 4th week of June 2017. My daughter would love to do a bear excursion if possible. There is quite a price jump from May to June I noticed....is June a better time to travel to Alaska or is that just because it is prime summer vacation time? We don't mind cooler weather. Would love to see any kind of wildlife actually! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thinking of booking a Disney cruise the last week of May or possibly the 3rd or 4th week of June 2017. My daughter would love to do a bear excursion if possible. There is quite a price jump from May to June I noticed....is June a better time to travel to Alaska or is that just because it is prime summer vacation time? We don't mind cooler weather. Would love to see any kind of wildlife actually! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

While not on DCL, we've cruised Alaska in Early June and Late September. We saw more animals in the early part of the season than the later. Also, we saw more during the land portion of that trip than on the cruise.

Edited by Shmoo here

We cruised the last week of August--saw all the animals on daughter's list except 1. Bears walking along the road in Ketchikan and with cubs in Juneau.

I think cost increase relates to schools being out. It gets warmer the farther you go into the summer. Supposedly gets rainier too, but we had almost no rain and what we had was just mist.

The bear excursions are not available in May or early June. They have them in July and August. I am not sure if there are any in later June, but you could probably find something if you check all the tour operators available.

I think the bears are more visible after the salmon run starts (maybe late June/early July). But wildlife is always unpredictable. We saw a bear walking down the rail line on the White Pass Railroad above Skagway.

I think the bears are more visible after the salmon run starts (maybe late June/early July). But wildlife is always unpredictable. We saw a bear walking down the rail line on the White Pass Railroad above Skagway.

This was our experience as well. In early June, before the salmon run, the only bears we saw were on Russell Island in Glacier Bay (Brown/Grizzly/Kodiak. I wouldn't know the difference in subspecies.) and a black bear with her cub on the White Pass rail.

Bear excursions were available, but I don't know how successful they were.