The New and Improved Panama Canal is Open

Host Mick

In case you missed it, the Panama Canal opened their new 1400 foot locks yesterday.

You may now begin speculating on future itineraries. Bus driver inside knowledge is especially welcome.

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/25/483523910/the-5-billion-panama-canal-expansion-opens-sunday-amidst-shipping-concerns

Does this change the wonder's dry dock by chance? I have no idea but somewhere it said that wonder wouldn't get the duck tail if it wasn't finished in time but I guess now it can? If it has the duck tail it can get the Aquadunk like the magic right?

While the AquaDunk on the Magic was part of the reason for adding the duck tail, that's not the only one. Many older ships are getting a duck tail, as it's just generally more stabilizing for cruising.

Mostly the speculation is running that the Wonder won't have the AquaDunk. Having to do with it's not really all that popular. It's pretty much a "once and done" thing for many. And it really may not be all that popular on an Alaskan cruise.

I know on our recent Magic cruise (eastbound transatlantic) the AquaDunk seldom saw much action.

I know on our recent Magic cruise (eastbound transatlantic) the AquaDunk seldom saw much action.

As chilly, windy and rough as much of that cruise was, that's not too surprising. We saw several days when the AquaDunk was open and manned, but they had no takers.