Help! Travel Documents

k_immi_e

I am sure this has been asked, but I can't find it easily.

I am travel out of Charleston to Freeport & Nassau on October 2nd. My husband and I applied for passports with plenty of time, but there is an issue with mine. You see, I was born on the US Naval Base in Cuba in 1985. I ONLY have my naval base birth certificate. That is what I gave the passport agency. I just got a letter today that I need to provide a birth from abroad certificate, which I have never had. Soooooooo I can get one, but I don't have the time to get one then get it to the passport agency then get my passport and going cruising.

My question is, has anyone traveled with just a birth certificate from the US Naval Base? I cruised 10 years ago but I don't remember what I used. It was different 10 years ago. I have been calling a bunch of agencies to find out if this will be fine. I called Carnival and they told me to call other places.

Help! I am freaking out that I won't be able to cruise in 6 weeks!

I can't answer your question about your Birth From Abroad birth certificate - no idea if that will work or not. And I don't know if this will help or not, but I'd suggest calling your Senator's or Congressman's office and seeing if the can help. I've heard of instances where they can speed up the process sometimes, so it may be worth a shot.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you!

I just got down talking to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. I found out what I need to do to get my Citizen Certificate. But that takes 5-6 months to process and I travel in 6 weeks. They suggested calling the customs patrol at my port to see if the BC will be fine. here we go, fingers crossed!

Thanks! This provides a lot of info.

I am still waiting on confirmation that my BC from the Naval Hospital in Cuba is enough. The passport agency does not recognize it as enough.

I am hopeful though after reading this!

None of us are immigration officials, but are you considered an American citizen? That could greatly impact the outcome as to what docs are required and how you may obtain them.

Best of luck.

Yes I am a US citizen. Both my parents were born in the US and served the military for 20 years each, and I was born on a US naval base. I am 31, have a DL, a SSN, own a house, pay taxes, got married, etc.

I am dumbfounded why my status is an issue now :(

I had a good freak out cry earlier and am now calmed down a bit and have started making calls to figure out if I can cruise with just this BC. So far the signs are pointing to yes. Waiting on the passport agency & Charleston Port Authority to call me back now.

Thanks!

Edited by k_immi_e

Yes I am a US citizen. Both my parents were born in the US and served the military for 20 years each, and I was born on a US naval base. I am 31, have a DL, a SSN, own a house, pay taxes, got married, etc.

I am dumbfounded why my status is an issue now :(

I had a good freak out cry earlier and am now calmed down a bit and have started making calls to figure out if I can cruise with just this BC. So far the signs are pointing to yes. Waiting on the passport agency & Charleston Port Authority to call me back now.

Thanks!

If I were having those issues as a U.S. citizen, and especially as a U.S. citizen whose parents sacrificed being stateside to serve the U.S., I'd be all over my Congressional representatives to make sure my travel plans happen.

Keep us posted. You don't deserve the runaround you've been getting as a U.S. citizen. Good luck for no more stress over this!

All about proving your legal presence. I work at a DMV. A cert of birth abroad will be needed...we can't even issue a DL anymore without a primary document approved by the federal government, all due to the Real ID act. And I'm assuming Carnival must have proof of legal presence as well. I hope all works in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sheeniwoo

My daughter was born in a naval hospital here in the US.

When she applied for her first passport 12 years ago they had a problem with her

Birth certificate. Took her months to straighten it out.

Don't know what their issue was.

I am sure this has been asked, but I can't find it easily.

I am travel out of Charleston to Freeport & Nassau on October 2nd. My husband and I applied for passports with plenty of time, but there is an issue with mine. You see, I was born on the US Naval Base in Cuba in 1985. I ONLY have my naval base birth certificate. That is what I gave the passport agency. I just got a letter today that I need to provide a birth from abroad certificate, which I have never had. Soooooooo I can get one, but I don't have the time to get one then get it to the passport agency then get my passport and going cruising.

My question is, has anyone traveled with just a birth certificate from the US Naval Base? I cruised 10 years ago but I don't remember what I used. It was different 10 years ago. I have been calling a bunch of agencies to find out if this will be fine. I called Carnival and they told me to call other places.

Help! I am freaking out that I won't be able to cruise in 6 weeks!

I did do and am doing this on wed out of New York Mine is misawa Japan Air Force. Had to replace recently. Anyway I don't have a passport. I know. That's crazy. But this is my 3rd cruise this year. Have a ball[emoji227]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I were having those issues as a U.S. citizen, and especially as a U.S. citizen whose parents sacrificed being stateside to serve the U.S., I'd be all over my Congressional representatives to make sure my travel plans happen.

Keep us posted. You don't deserve the runaround you've been getting as a U.S. citizen. Good luck for no more stress over this!

I second this.

I'm so sorry you're going through this, K_immi_e!:( If I were in your shoes, I would have had a freak out cry, too.:o I'm crossing my fingers and hoping all turns out well for you. Keep fighting!:)

That's who fixed it for me My representative

I did do and am doing this on wed out of New York Mine is misawa Japan Air Force. Had to replace recently. Anyway I don't have a passport. I know. That's crazy. But this is my 3rd cruise this year. Have a ball[emoji227]

WHOOOOOOOOO you're exactly who I needed to respond. Someone that has dealt with this! This is a big sigh of relief!

Just sent my congressman an email. Fingers crossed. From the calls I have been making I think traveling now will be no problem, just getting my passport is. If I don't get this resolved in the next 90days I lose my $135 filing fee... so fingers crossed.

If all else fails, I will be a stowaway in my husbands luggage.

WHOOOOOOOOO you're exactly who I needed to respond. Someone that has dealt with this! This is a big sigh of relief!

Glad I saw this. I'm at work now. Will look at mine when I go home. My heart dropped when this happened to me last year. It was stolen from a lock box. Seems people pay to collect abroad birth certificates. It's real pretty. The workers at carnival pass it all around in awe. Lol. I think it states abroad but us citizen

Glad I saw this. I'm at work now. Will look at mine when I go home. My heart dropped when this happened to me last year. It was stolen from a lock box. Seems people pay to collect abroad birth certificates. It's real pretty. The workers at carnival pass it all around in awe. Lol. I think it states abroad but us citizen

I can't remember what else mine states right now... I know it says US NAVAL BASE HOSPITAL at the top. The passport agency still has it. I just got the letter for more info from them today.

My son was born overseas when I was in the military. A record of live birth was created and kept at the US embassy of the host country and with the State Department. Although we didn't have diplomatic relations with Cuba in 1985, there still should be a record of a live birth overseas maintained by the State Department. The personnel folks were pretty good about getting births recorded.

This link might be a starting point for you:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/events-and-records/birth/replace-or-amend-consular-report-of-birth-abroad.html

For Winddawn: Of course our kids born overseas are American citizens, to include the right to become President. What a disservice it would be if the children of soldiers, sailors and airmen serving our country abroad were denied that basic right of citizenship.

I can't remember what else mine states right now... I know it says US NAVAL BASE HOSPITAL at the top. The passport agency still has it. I just got the letter for more info from them today.

That should be all you need if returning from same port you leave from. As long as it's not leaving from Puerto Rico in which case you'll need your passport. I was lucky. My representative was new young and ambitious to make his constituents happy. His staff was awesome and so helpful as well as quick

Edited by Nmanack

That should be all you need if returning from same port you leave from. As long as it's not leaving from Puerto Rico in which case you'll need your passport. I was lucky. My representative was new young and ambitious to make his constituents happy. His staff was awesome and so helpful as well as quick

What were they able to do for you? Were they able to get you a passport or the documentation you needed for it?

My son was born overseas when I was in the military. A record of live birth was created and kept at the US embassy of the host country and with the State Department. Although we didn't have diplomatic relations with Cuba in 1985, there still should be a record of a live birth overseas maintained by the State Department. The personnel folks were pretty good about getting births recorded.

This link might be a starting point for you:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/events-and-records/birth/replace-or-amend-consular-report-of-birth-abroad.html

For Winddawn: Of course our kids born overseas are American citizens, to include the right to become President. What a disservice it would be if the children of soldiers, sailors and airmen serving our country abroad were denied that basic right of citizenship.

Looking into this now!