Help! Travel Documents

k_immi_e

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I just got a call back from the Port of Charleston. Spoke to Susan. She said she has seen a few naval birth certificates and was pretty sure it would be okay. She had me call Charleston Customs & Border Protection. I spoke to Sam who transferred me to Steve who told me that it is no problem at all. Because it is a closed loop cruise (compared to ones like trans-atlantic), that I just need to prove I am a citizen, so my birth certificate (with marriage license proofing my name change) is good to go with Govt issued photo ID! I was told to speak to Charlie the port supervisor if there are any issues.

I am still trying to get my passport because I have already paid for it. But that is a big sigh of relief.

Hooray!:D Thanks for keeping us updated. And have a great cruise!:)

The next question is when will your birth certificate be returned to you. If you are still trying to get your passport, won't the passport agency keep the one you submitted?

Uh oh.:(

Well, first let me say I am thrilled for you that the Port of Charleston will accept your naval hospital certificate. However (shhh, don't tell them!) it is not proof of US citizenship. You are still going to need to get your FS240, and sooner is better than later. And as long as you have made contact with the congressmen's office, let them assist in getting this resolved.

FWIW, unlike the majority of US citizens, your citizenship is not derived from your place of birth, but by virtue of your parentage. The naval hospital certificate does not prove your citizenship, just your location of birth and your parent's identities. So while it apparently will get you on the ship in Charleston...I know for certain you would not in Los Angeles. So don't let this slide.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I just got a call back from the Port of Charleston. Spoke to Susan. She said she has seen a few naval birth certificates and was pretty sure it would be okay. She had me call Charleston Customs & Border Protection. I spoke to Sam who transferred me to Steve who told me that it is no problem at all. Because it is a closed loop cruise (compared to ones like trans-atlantic), that I just need to prove I am a citizen, so my birth certificate (with marriage license proofing my name change) is good to go with Govt issued photo ID! I was told to speak to Charlie the port supervisor if there are any issues.

I am still trying to get my passport because I have already paid for it. But that is a big sigh of relief.

Did you ask Steve to send you a signed letter on CBP letterhead stating that he informed you that you will be able to board with just the documents you have? If you did not, you are still in murky waters - third-party hearsay is not verifiable. You had better hope that Steve is working the cruise terminal that day and you can have him personally verify what he told you to the officer who is processing your for embarkation...

Did you ask Steve to send you a signed letter on CBP letterhead stating that he informed you that you will be able to board with just the documents you have? If you did not, you are still in murky waters - third-party hearsay is not verifiable. You had better hope that Steve is working the cruise terminal that day and you can have him personally verify what he told you to the officer who is processing your for embarkation...

IIRC, CBP isn't routinely involved in the boarding process. It's the cruise line staff/contractors that need to be satisfied with the documents presented as they want to be certain that you can get off the ship.

Charleston is the one Us port where I had trouble with CBP because they didn't know the rules for extra duty free on purchases in USVI.

UGH! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't get any emails that there had been new replies!

Update:

My congressman's office is a sack of dumb! They emailed me back after saying they could help, to send them some documents. I send them. Then I get an email back saying I need to overnight a request for FS240 to an address in DC. I get my documents together, get the request notarized, and go onto fedex to create the shipping label. Comes back that the address has the wrong zip code. So I email back the congressman's office to verify the address again and stating that the address they gave me was different from the one on the Dept of States website and the zip code was wrong, could they verify it again for me. She emailed again with the same address, so I look up the right zip code and see she had just transposed a 1 for a 2. That could happen to anyone. So off I go to fedex, drop my package off, paid extra to have it there by 1030am today.

I get a call at 930, right after I got an email saying my package had been delivered, from a DC number. They tell me it's the wrong place (fedex labels have the phone number on the outside so she could call me without opening it). That the agency had moved months ago to a location on 6th st (I had sent it to 19th st). Sounded like a nice older lady that was tired of getting these as she said it happens once a week. She was trying to get Fedex back so it could be forwarded to the right address, or she was going to take it to the right place herself for me. I told her if there are any issues to call me right away, I will find the right address and email her a new fedex label. So that is what I am waiting on right now for the Birth from Abroad issue...

BUT

Good news!

The passport agency FINALLY returned my call from Monday when I initially got this letter from them. Super nice lady... how often do you get that from a government official! She told me she can see my birth from abroad on file and my parents are US citizens so that my passport is approved pending them getting this birth from abroad certificate copy. I explained to her what I typed above and asked her, once I get this certificate, and I overnight it to you guys, how long will it take to get my passport? She said she has it set up in her system that my passport will then be overnight-ed to me! So yay!

I am back to being hopeful that it will all work out. But at the same time, the US Gov't has been a buzzkill to my pre-vacation excitement.

IIRC, CBP isn't routinely involved in the boarding process. It's the cruise line staff/contractors that need to be satisfied with the documents presented as they want to be certain that you can get off the ship.

Charleston is the one Us port where I had trouble with CBP because they didn't know the rules for extra duty free on purchases in USVI.

I did not have anything signed sent to me from Steve. He is the Charleston Customs supervisor and he gave me Charlies name who is the pier supervisor. They have my name, phone number, and sail date and have said they see birth certificate from abroad naval hospitals all the time. The biggest thing I have working in my favor is that it is a closed loop cruise where I return to Charleston. If it returned somewhere else, then I'd still be in the grey area.

Kimmie, Ugh, sorry you are still going through red tape, and made worse by the constituent services staff not having updated information. Note for others: Try the Senator's office first...they are usually in office longer and might have more experienced staff.

The really good news is that the passport office sees your FS240 on file...meaning one was issued, so they aren't going to come back and say they don't have one for you. All you need to do is stay on top of your contact at the Congressman's office to follow up with them to quickly get yours sent to you. Did you happen to ask for two copies? If you did, then you can send one to the passport office and take the other one on your cruise. IT is your proof of citizenship, not your naval hospital birth certificate.

Now, as for the port and Steve and that naval hospital certificate. I know you are counting on Steve being correct, or at least allowing you on the ship. If he does, great. But you also need to realize he is either misunderstanding what you said on the phone, or he is a worse sack of dumb than your congressman's office. DO NOT rely solely on him allowing you on the ship with your naval hospital BC, OK? Keep on top of obtaining the FS240, push on getting that in your hands for this cruise. (If it comes down to the wire, and you only got one copy, take the FS240 on the cruise and don't send it in to the passport folks until afterwards.)

Your citizenship is proven by that FS240, and until you get a passport that is the only document you have which proves it. The naval hospital certificate shows you were born in Cuba, not the USA, so it is legally useless as a citizenship document. But I'm not gonna tell Steve that....

Kimmie -- I'm following this closely!

If you have to deal w/the less-than-competent Congressperson's staff, please feel free to remind them that this is an federal election year. ALL House of Representatives members are up for election/re-election & that you do vote!

Also, once you get your passport, PLEASE don't ever let it expire! Always renew ahead of time so that you don't have to go through this headache again!

Enjoy your cruise! (And thanks for educating all of us!)

Kimmie, Ugh, sorry you are still going through red tape, and made worse by the constituent services staff not having updated information. Note for others: Try the Senator's office first...they are usually in office longer and might have more experienced staff.

The really good news is that the passport office sees your FS240 on file...meaning one was issued, so they aren't going to come back and say they don't have one for you. All you need to do is stay on top of your contact at the Congressman's office to follow up with them to quickly get yours sent to you. Did you happen to ask for two copies? If you did, then you can send one to the passport office and take the other one on your cruise. IT is your proof of citizenship, not your naval hospital birth certificate.

Now, as for the port and Steve and that naval hospital certificate. I know you are counting on Steve being correct, or at least allowing you on the ship. If he does, great. But you also need to realize he is either misunderstanding what you said on the phone, or he is a worse sack of dumb than your congressman's office. DO NOT rely solely on him allowing you on the ship with your naval hospital BC, OK? Keep on top of obtaining the FS240, push on getting that in your hands for this cruise. (If it comes down to the wire, and you only got one copy, take the FS240 on the cruise and don't send it in to the passport folks until afterwards.)

Your citizenship is proven by that FS240, and until you get a passport that is the only document you have which proves it. The naval hospital certificate shows you were born in Cuba, not the USA, so it is legally useless as a citizenship document. But I'm not gonna tell Steve that....

My Fedex has gotten to the right place! Yay! I emailed the congressman's office to let them know the address was wrong, and I got a "Thanks YOU rock!" in response... good thing this guy isn't running for re-election LOLOLOL

Fingers crossed I won't have to worry about if Steve is right or wrong. As soon as I get that FS240 in my hands, it is being overnighted to the passport agency who will then overnight me my passport. I will make a copy of the FS240 as a copy which will be okay at the port. (This is according to Carnival & a few other cruise lines websites so I can pull that up on my phone showing its on their site that a copy is allowed with photo ID) I am sending it to the passport agency because I only have a certain amount of time to get this corrected or they will mail me back my originals but keep my $135. (By the time this is said and done, I will be paying over $350 with all the overnighting and admin fees!!!)

So EVERYONE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Pray to any god you worship, do any ceremonial dance you can do, wish on a shooting star, anything will help to hope I get this FS240 back in time! If I don't have anything in a week, then off to the Senators office it is!

Edited by k_immi_e

Kimmie -- I'm following this closely!

If you have to deal w/the less-than-competent Congressperson's staff, please feel free to remind them that this is an federal election year. ALL House of Representatives members are up for election/re-election & that you do vote!

Also, once you get your passport, PLEASE don't ever let it expire! Always renew ahead of time so that you don't have to go through this headache again!

Enjoy your cruise! (And thanks for educating all of us!)

LOL Thanks for following and THANK YOU for everyone.

My pre-cruise excitement is now nil-to-none. This has all gotten me down.

I just posted an update with their response, but this US Rep isn't running for re-election, so I guess they just don't care anymore. Fun times!

My Fedex has gotten to the right place! Yay! I emailed the congressman's office to let them know the address was wrong, and I got a "Thanks YOU rock!" in response... good thing this guy isn't running for re-election LOLOLOL

Fingers crossed I won't have to worry about if Steve is right or wrong. As soon as I get that FS240 in my hands, it is being overnighted to the passport agency who will then overnight me my passport. I will make a copy of the FS240 as a copy which will be okay at the port. (This is according to Carnival & a few other cruise lines websites so I can pull that up on my phone showing its on their site that a copy is allowed with photo ID) I am sending it to the passport agency because I only have a certain amount of time to get this corrected or they will mail me back my originals but keep my $135. (By the time this is said and done, I will be paying over $350 with all the overnighting and admin fees!!!)

So EVERYONE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Pray to any god you worship, do any ceremonial dance you can do, wish on a shooting star, anything will help to hope I get this FS240 back in time! If I don't have anything in a week, then off to the Senators office it is!

I hope you get everything back in time and I really don't want to rain on your parade but it's my understanding that while photocopies of birth certificates are acceptable Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and Naturalization Certificates must be original. I believe though that you may have more than one Consular Report if you are willing to pay for it. (And look at it this way- your first drink of the day onboard is going to taste sweeter than any other beverage that you've ever had.)

I hope you get everything back in time and I really don't want to rain on your parade but it's my understanding that while photocopies of birth certificates are acceptable Consular Reports of Birth Abroad and Naturalization Certificates must be original. I believe though that you may have more than one Consular Report if you are willing to pay for it. (And look at it this way- your first drink of the day on board is going to taste sweeter than any other beverage that you've ever had.)

You are not raining on my parade... I understand right now EVERYTHING is in limbo until I have this FS240 in my hands.

WHEN (I am going with when to be optimistic) this is all done and over with... well lets just say there will be much celebratory drinks!

Update:

Na-da

This blows.

My Us Rep office was zero help. Gave me the wrong address and when I tried to get them to follow up with the agency, they stopped responding to my emails.

I have reached out to my Senators office who is going to try to help me.

What a crappy day.

I get a call about an hour ago from the Passport Vital Records agency. I had left them a message on Monday to see if my Fedex had indeed gotten to the right place. Guess what... it did not. I try to call the phone number for the address it got sent to, and its just an 800 number for the passport agency, so they cannot connect me to anyone that is actually at that physical location that received my fedex. So now no one knows where it is at. My husband was off work so he drove up to my US Representatives local office and spoke to the woman who had given me the wrong address in the first place and let her have it. She had stopped replying to my emails and never returned my calls. Supposedly she is making some calls to people, but I have little faith in her now.

I immediately called the Senator's office but the person that had emailed me was out of the office.

It's just ridiculous... my husband who was born in a British Hospital in a British Country to a US Citizen Dad & a British Citizen Mom got his passport in a week. I was born on a US Naval Base to TWO US Citizens and my passport is on hold until I can get this Birth Abroad Certificate that the passport agency SEES on file, but needs the physical copy of to give me my passport.

If I can't get anywhere in a week, I guess I will just cut my losses on the passport and get my BC back and hope that Steve at Charlestons Customs was right.

Edited by k_immi_e

What a crappy day.

I get a call about an hour ago from the Passport Vital Records agency. I had left them a message on Monday to see if my Fedex had indeed gotten to the right place. Guess what... it did not.

I am SOOOOO sorry for you having to go thru this mess.

Do you have the FedX tracking number? If you do, you can verify if and when the envelope was delivered and to whom (if anyone) signed for it. That could be starting point ....

If push comes to shove you can always try the Press ... we have a consumer advocate at one of our local TV stations that does this kind of thing - Fingers crossed that all works out

Edited by TX Catty Cruiser

I am SOOOOO sorry for you having to go thru this mess.

Do you have the FedX tracking number? If you do, you can verify if and when the envelope was delivered and who (if anyone) signed for it. That could be starting point ....

I do have the fedex tracking number. I found who signed for it, but we can't actually get a hold of anyone at that location to speak to. They don't have a phone number for the location, just an 800 number for the entire passport agency.

Welp, hopefully the lady at my US Reps office is really trying to redeem herself. She called me super apologetic and wish I hadn't have to go thru all this.

She has called the supervisor of the place that it went to and gave them the last name of who signed for it and when and they are now trying to track it down.

Fingers crossed.

My pre-cruise buzz is totally killed. I, no joke, was so excited. Was reading the reviews for the different excursions over and over again... what to do if we didn't do an excursions... menus for the dining room nights... ordered a bunch of stuff for the cruise... now... its like oh yeah, vacation... whatever.

Thank you for everyone following along for your words of advice and sympathy.

Edited by k_immi_e

What a saga. Keep us informed. This is the reason people tell everyone to renew six months out. You never know what you will run in to.

While my experience wasn't as time crucial as your is I can tell you as a Canadian citizen with US citizenship I had so much trouble getting my Canadian passport I was ready to scream. I finally asked the guy how exactly DOES a Canadian get a passport without a Canadian driver's license other then then birth certificate, Canadian credit cards, home ownership, expired Canadian Passport etc. Different agencies don't talk to each other any more. He told me there were many many people in the same boat as me.

It used to be a pain when it was only valid for five years and you had to start at the beginning each time. I finally let it lapse. It was such a hassle getting it this time there is not a chance in h*ll that I will ever let it expire again.

YAYAYAYAYA!

They found my lost Fedex! The staffer at my US Reps office pulled her sh*t together and reached out to their sources and after finding tracking numbers, names, etc, was able to find my actual Fedex with my request for my copy of FS 240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad).

I am told it is now 100% in the right hands and I should have something to me in the next week :)

Fingers crossed all!

YAYAYAYAYA!

They found my lost Fedex! The staffer at my US Reps office pulled her sh*t together and reached out to their sources and after finding tracking numbers, names, etc, was able to find my actual Fedex with my request for my copy of FS 240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad).

I am told it is now 100% in the right hands and I should have something to me in the next week :)

Fingers crossed all!

What a saga! I am so sorry for you! Please update us.

Sending positive vibes.