Help! Travel Documents

k_immi_e

Just slightly off topic, there is a story in the Washington Post about adoptees from other countries who thought they were American citizens but finding out as adults that they were never naturalized: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/thousands-of-adoptees-thought-they-were-us-citizens-but-learned-they-are-not/2016/09/02/7924014c-6bc1-11e6-99bf-f0cf3a6449a6_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_adoptees-8pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory.

They estimate that there are "tens of thousands of people who were adopted internationally by American parents between the 1950s and 1980s but never naturalized." Now that would be a rude awakening!

The OP's horrible story should serve as a warning

• to any parents reading this whose children were born overseas: keep the documentation in a safe place and get a passport for you child as soon as possible even if not required.
  • to any adult born overseas who has not yet applied for a passport: get your documentation now and just do it! Have your passport in hand before you need it.

Edited by capriccio

Well, here's the good news- once you have that passport in hand that is all the proof of citizenship that you'll ever need so at that point it would be entirely up to you if you wanted to go to the trouble and expense of getting the FS240.

Get that FS240 if there is ever any chance that you might apply for a government security clearance. Both our children were born in Italy and our DS has had a security clearance for 10 years. When he initially applied they asked for his passport number and the date and city of issue of the FS240. When he applied for renewal last year they asked for the certificate number of the FS240 but since he was born in the 1980s before certificate numbers appeared on the FS240 he offered to show the investigator the original document.

Get that FS240 if there is ever any chance that you might apply for a government security clearance. Both our children were born in Italy and our DS has had a security clearance for 10 years. When he initially applied they asked for his passport number and the date and city of issue of the FS240. When he applied for renewal last year they asked for the certificate number of the FS240 but since he was born in the 1980s before certificate numbers appeared on the FS240 he offered to show the investigator the original document.

Maybe, but if all they need to verify is citizenship the passport will do the trick (I underwent many investigations for a clearance in the Navy and it was my experience that the investigator wanted to know everything, but that doesn't mean that what he or she wanted to know was actually needed for the clearance).

Maybe, but if all they need to verify is citizenship the passport will do the trick (I underwent many investigations for a clearance in the Navy and it was my experience that the investigator wanted to know everything, but that doesn't mean that what he or she wanted to know was actually needed for the clearance).

In the past it did; as of last year it didn't. You can't even get to the investigator stage of the OPM investigation without putting some number in the on-line renewal application because the application is considered incomplete. If I remember correctly DS just put in some random 4 digit number (1111) and had the form ready for the in person investigator. Maybe DISCO (defense) security clearances are different.

Even when I re-applied for a top secret clearance more than 15 years ago (pre-9/11) I had to put the issuing city and date of the FS240s for both of my children in my on-line application.

At any rate, I just threw this out there in case any of the readers are considering a security clearance. Maybe k_imme_e might someday want a government job :); she certainly has applicable experience to do Congressional constituent services or work for the Passport Agency after this ordeal!

I have been following along since your first post, but since I have no experience in this I never said anything. However I just wanted to say I'm glad you are able to get your passport without having to spend more money. I hope you are still able to enjoy your cruise even though this ordeal has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on the way to getting my passport. so Yay!

Since there was no Consular Record of Birth Abroad or Certificate of Citizenship I had to provide:

Parents Birth Certificates- in which I need to get a copy of my dads from the state

My dad changed his name at 18 so I had to provide his name change too

Parents Marriage License

An affidavit from my mom from where she was from when she born to when I was born. I also was supposed to supply this for my dad, which I couldn't as he has passed away. My mom luckily had on hand her history of transactions from the navy covering her enlistment to when I was born so she just had to write a statement saying she lived in two states and the time frame.

Then because my dad had passed, I had to provide his death certificate and his DD214. Originally they requested where my dad had been from when he was born to when I was born too which was going to be impossible without him here, but his DD2214 & Death Certificate & Birth certificate is fine.

Then they asked for my mom's DD214 as well.

The only thing I am waiting on is to get a copy of my dads birth certificate. He was born in Florida and they were busy getting hit by a hurricane today so I couldn't reach out to them yet. (Offices were closed).

THENNNNNNNNNNNNN I will be able to get my passport. But that is all separate from my citizenship crap.

Sigh- they can take my taxes but can't tell me for 30 years that I am not legal. You would think when I filled out my voters registration something would have red flagged. But nope, I am a legal voter too.

I'm so happy this is all working out for you. :) And your much, much larger collection of hoops that you had to jump through for sure puts my own little collection of jumpable hoops into perspective!

Sparks & Capri- I can no longer get my FS240 because I am over 18. I have to now get my Certificate of Citizenship. I will need this in my future to get any gov't benefits such as Social Security or Medicare.

TXCatty- I will see if I can look her up

Everyone- Thank you for following along! Can. Not. Wait. Until. October. 2.

Sparks & Capri- I can no longer get my FS240 because I am over 18. I have to now get my Certificate of Citizenship. I will need this in my future to get any gov't benefits such as Social Security or Medicare.

TXCatty- I will see if I can look her up

Everyone- Thank you for following along! Can. Not. Wait. Until. October. 2.

That is interesting to know on benefits. Did you find that out during all this?

My husband has a Certificate of Citizenship, with a picture of him at 5 years old signed by his father. That always caused many questions when he used it.

I'me glad to know that he may need it in the future. Thanks for passing along great information from your adventure.

That is interesting to know on benefits. Did you find that out during all this?

My husband has a Certificate of Citizenship, with a picture of him at 5 years old signed by his father. That always caused many questions when he used it.

I'me glad to know that he may need it in the future. Thanks for passing along great information from your adventure.

Sorry forgot to respond to your question. I was told this by 3 of the different people I talked to. All unrelated agencies so it must be true.

No update right now. Sent in a request for my dad's birth certificate yesterday with rush fees, so hoping to have it back by next Friday. Then will overnight to passport agency with all the other documents I have gathered :)

Stay tuned.

TWENTY THREE DAYS UNTIL WE CRUISEEEEEEEEEEEE. I need it!

Edited by k_immi_e

Sorry forgot to respond to your question. I was told this by 3 of the different people I talked to. All unrelated agencies so it must be true.

No update right now. Sent in a request for my dad's birth certificate yesterday with rush fees, so hoping to have it back by next Friday. Then will overnight to passport agency with all the other documents I have gathered :)

Stay tuned.

TWENTY THREE DAYS UNTIL WE CRUISEEEEEEEEEEEE. I need it!

If traveling within two weeks you could make an appointment at your Federal passport office (all those documents would make me nervous)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/expedited.html

If traveling within two weeks you could make an appointment at your Federal passport office (all those documents would make me nervous)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/expedited.html

I have a case worker assigned to my passport case right now so I couldn't go to the passport office. I am not worried about having it back for my cruise at this point since I have gotten the okay from several people that my Naval Hospital BC will be fine. I just want it cause I have paid all this money and put in all this time to get it.

So glad it all seems to be working out!

This thread reminded me of our first cruise, out of Baltimore in 2005. My oldest, who was 19, had a passport because he had done a mid-term trip to London his freshman year in college. But my second son, who was 17 at the time, did not. He was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, at the NHS Hospital, while his dad, a USAF officer, was stationed at Lossiemouth on an RAF exchange tour. He had a passport as a baby, for when we returned to the states, but we had never renewed it.

For the documentation at the pier we brought his Scottish birth certificate, his Certificate of Birth Abroad, and his FS-240 (Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the USA, for those who might have missed that earlier in the thread). And of course his driver's license.

All was well until the poor girl at checkin could not figure out how to enter his information in the computer, since it required a 2-letter state abbreviation for place of birth. She was flummoxed, and it took several others farther up in the supervisory chain to figure out how to get him checked in.

He is now 28 and has traveled the world on an updated passport.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a bit since an update. I have been speaking with Florida Vital Records everyday, and I just got somewhere. I had put rush on the envelope and even put it in a fancy dancy envelope that said Priority on it in big red letters, but it was taking forever (well it seems that way) to make sure they got it. I have confirmation now, that they processed the application Monday and put my fathers birth certificate in the mail Monday! So I should have it tomorrow! Then I can overnight it to the passport agency with the rest of my docs and then they will overnight my passport back to me.

I am soooooo close to having part 1 of this nightmare behind me!

And sooooooooooo close to being on that ship!

Look at that countdown \/

Edited by k_immi_e

That is such GREAT news!!! BUT my fingers are still crossed until you tell us you have your passport in your hands!

PS -

I said yes to your request now what?

LOL I have no clue... I sent the request to a few people that I have befriended over this ordeal and nothing has happened when I did.

• 2 weeks later...