Wind spirit "Tahiti dreams" cruise question

travellingnewyorker

Greetings,

I have a question for those who have cruised on the Tahiti dreams cruise on the wind star spirit. We are eager to see as much blue water as we can, and aren't quite as interested in spending time on land / sightseeing on the islands. That said, in the various places the spirit docks, is it possible to swim right from the water sports platform into beautiful water? Or do we have to book shore excursions in order to be transported to the lagoons with beautiful water? Thank you!

You can swim off platform directly into water at the ports where the ship anchors.

You can also swim off the motu (small island) that is used for the cultural show and beach dinner while in Bora Bora. This event is included in your cruise fare.

Greetings,

I have a question for those who have cruised on the Tahiti dreams cruise on the wind star spirit. We are eager to see as much blue water as we can, and aren't quite as interested in spending time on land / sightseeing on the islands. That said, in the various places the spirit docks, is it possible to swim right from the water sports platform into beautiful water? Or do we have to book shore excursions in order to be transported to the lagoons with beautiful water? Thank you!

We just got off the ship a few hours ago so I'm speaking from very recent experience here, haha. You can swim off the platform but it's not in the lagoon water I think you're thinking of. If you're thinking of the turquoise see-to-the-bottom water you see in pictures, you'll have to go on excursions or into the ports to swim off the beach. The reason those waters looks so beautiful and clear in pictures is because it's shallow and the sunlight bounces off the sand on the bottom. The ship stays in 100+ feet of water.

We took this glorious trip 2 years ago, May. We took a excursion swimming with the sharks and rays in the Lagoon it was glorious, the snorkeling superb. The lagoon is georgeous and the various shades of blue is remarkable along with the sparkle of the water. The sports platform was open but you are in deeper water, swimming from the motus in the lagoon was also terrific. I think the best part of Tahiti is the lagoons. I can not imagine not being on a boat there and a small one so you can sail within the lagoon. Some places, and I do not remember where, you can get water taxis to the motus. Also, we are independent travelers rarely take excursions but that swim trip with the rays and sharks and snorkeling that we took with WS was just terrific. Have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone use any excursions outside the ones available on the ship? I usually do this but based on the island sizes....maybe this way is not the best this trip?

If you did, which ones were the best....or if on board ones....which were the best.

Please help!

I have booked one for Bora Bora with Patricks (lagoon and lunch tour). It is expensive, but less than the similar one the ship is offering. His tour gets rave reviews. We are going on the May 6 cruise. If your cruise is that week, it might be possible to join us and that would lower the cost.

I have also booked an ATV tour on Moorea with Albert Transport.

Most of the tours will not take you if you are on a cruise, because the cruise lines use them.

Hope this helps.