Considering a Disney Cruise - Help Me Sort it Out

pappy3393

We are considering taking our 8 year old and 6 year old grand kids on a Disney Cruise. My wife and I have sailed on smaller ships (Crystal, Oceania and Regent). I have some concerns being on a ship with 2,500 to 4,000 passengers as far as feeling crowded, "competing" for entertainment, facilities & activities and getting on/off the ship. I can't fathom that many people in a contained area. On the other hand, I read a lot about how great these cruises are and I acknowledge that Disney is used to entertaining a lot of people at the same time.

So, what can you tell me about the overall experience and what we should expect? I am also confused about the differences between the ships (other than capacity) and what your thoughts are on the advantages and disadvantages of the "old" vs. the "new" ships.

It may not sound like it but I am excited about taking a Disney cruise with the grand kids. It sounds like a lot of fun as long as we aren't constantly standing in long lines.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

We are considering taking our 8 year old and 6 year old grand kids on a Disney Cruise. My wife and I have sailed on smaller ships (Crystal, Oceania and Regent). I have some concerns being on a ship with 2,500 to 4,000 passengers as far as feeling crowded, "competing" for entertainment, facilities & activities and getting on/off the ship. I can't fathom that many people in a contained area. On the other hand, I read a lot about how great these cruises are and I acknowledge that Disney is used to entertaining a lot of people at the same time.

So, what can you tell me about the overall experience and what we should expect? I am also confused about the differences between the ships (other than capacity) and what your thoughts are on the advantages and disadvantages of the "old" vs. the "new" ships.

It may not sound like it but I am excited about taking a Disney cruise with the grand kids. It sounds like a lot of fun as long as we aren't constantly standing in long lines.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

are you taking them on your own? without their parents?

by the way, something i hope to do in the future (with our 1 and 2.5 year old grandkids).

anyway, if i were you, i would take them on one of the smaller ships - the Wonder or the Magic - assuming they have an itinerary you like..

others might disgree, but i find the smaller ships far more manageable...

Edited by alaska_planner

We've been on both the Dream and the Magic and neither ever felt crowded. You have to remember that these ships are the size of a city block, and 10-12 stories tall - that gives a lot of opportunity for people to spread out. They design the ships with the number of guests in mind.

The ONLY time we ever felt crowded was during the sailaway party and the pirate party - on both ships. Although, strangely, on the Dream, although there were a ton of people on deck and we didn't get a front row spot, by hanging toward the middle to the back of the deck (from the stage), we had all the room in the world. But those parties do give you a visual reminder that the ships have LOTS of people on them.

Otherwise, across our 9 days at seat on DCL, here's where we DIDN'T see crowds (although might have expected them):

- The Rainforest Room was quiet and nearly 'empty' on both ships in the afternoon.

- The AquaDunk on the Magic never had a line.

- walk-up counter service with no wait at the pool deck eateries

- Haven't had to fight for a seat in the Walt Disney theater on 5 out of the 6 shows we've seen there (the only truly anxious time was when "Tangled" debuted on the Magic).

- Castaway Cay: the 2nd family beach isn't crowded, although those beaches are both HUGE and can accommodate a lot of people.

- never had a problem walking up and getting a bike rental on Castaway.

- Had the Magic's atrium to ourselves (all alone!) for the better part of an hour on a sea day one afternoon! My daughter danced on stage for 45+ minutes!

Most of the above observations were mild surprises to us!

Enjoy! You'll have a great time - just don't psych yourself out about the number of people onboard!

Edited by davidmbfonz

I've been on both sizes of ships (Wonder in 2014, and Fantasy in 2015) and I have to say I found the smaller ships to feel less crowded in my opinion. I enjoyed the Wonder quite a bit! That being said, I also really really enjoyed the Fantasy! There's a lot more to do, and I also never felt crowded. It's certainly up to what itinerary you want to do and what ship is doing it. Plan your days accordingly and you won't be standing in long lines. Look at the Character Meet and Greets and get there early so you can get in line to meet them. If you are in line, they do move rather quickly. Get your online reservations for excursions and such done ahead of time. I highly recommend a Palo brunch or Dinner, but you would need to send the kids to the Club or Lab while you went. Once you do your first DCL cruise, you will be hooked! Can't wait to see what you decide. Our next Disney Cruise is in 2017 on the Magic, and we can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been on Dream once and the Wonder several times. It was only the Dream's third cruise and they were still working out the bugs. There were very long lines for everything, including dinner. It was very chaotic and overwhelming for me. I did have an excellent time, but there were kids running around everywhere and it wasn't much different than being in the theme park on a busy day. It doesn't sound like it is like that anymore.

The Wonder has been sold out the last couple times I have been on it. It was never nearly as crowded as the Dream and the only time I had to wait in line for something was when the last morning breakfast. I prefer the Wonder, but there are less activities on board. I get bored on sea days and talked to some other people who were also bored on the sea days and they said they were never bored on the Fantasy because the Fantasy had so many things going on all the time. It also only too a few minutes to walk to anything on the Wonder vs. the Fantasy, where it took them at least 15 minutes to get to anything.

Actually Disney Magic and Pixie Dust is the whole product, the superior designed, and built vessels with the classic lines and feel, the art deco and Nuevo deco feel and just enough Disney touches to bring a smile to peoples faces.

Disney shows are board way quality.

A ship crew that is excellent and the best trained and I know that for a fact, because I know all the special training they get at American Maritime schools. Add to that how they have rescued many at sea, including being able to get the rescue boat in the water and save a person who fell off another cruise ship when the other cruise ship could not even get their boat in the water.

Their own special designed terminal and Bus service where the magic begins with videos on what's coming and Disney cartoons.

The excellent service,, yes other lines may have great service, but twisting that into saying its Disney Pixie Dust, doesn't work, Add great food and good family entertainment. The DISNEY characters that bring joy to the kids, young and old. Mickey and Minnie. Things like Animators Pallet MDR, food and mixers events and that is just starters.

One of my thing was we were taken the design of the Magic tour, (which by itself is a great tour) when Belle came around the corner and a young girl on the tour with her MOM, just cried out in joy. Belle spun around, flopped down onto the deck, lifted the girl into lap and calmed her down. She finally told the child that if she was at a door down the passageway at 1830, she could walk with Belle to a greeting session. Mom nodded ok, Belle got up waved good bye and I would bet a week pay that child was at the door at 1830 and had a memory that would last a lifetime.

However the bottom line is the Disney cruises are special with real Disney Magic and Pixie dust only found on their ships.

What ever you decide you will enjoy the cruise.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Basics--the Magic and Wonder are older (1998, 1999) and hold about 2500 guests. The Magic underwent a "re-imagining" dry dock about 2 years ago when many new features were added, the Wonder is in that process right now. Both have been VERY well maintained; don't let the age worry you. The Magic is our favorite ship, but no one can address what the Wonder will be like after the lengthy dry dock.

The Dream and Fantasy are about 5 years old and hold 4000 guests. They have all the up to date electronics and fun features, but we don't care for the size or the unsupervised children we encountered. The Dream does 3/4 night cruises, the Fantasy does 7 night.

NOTE--the Fantasy does Star Wars cruises (one day on a 7 night cruise is Star Wars day), and the Magic has "Marvel Academy" in the kid area.

DCL has the best crew I've encountered on any large, mainstream cruise line. It is very rare to have a bad or even a "just so" server or assistant. We've had one that we felt was basically a lost puppy on his second contract, but he was sweet. If they aren't good and good with guests, they don't last long.

We were on the maiden voyage of the Magic in 1998. That cruise was a mess, but since then we haven't had problems with crowds, lack of theatre seats, or other big issues. In fact, the biggest complaint I have with DCL is lack of enforcement of "adult only" areas.

DCL entertainment is the best I've seen on any cruise. The unpredictable "Magic" of coming around the corner or entering an elevator and finding a character there is totally amazing, regardless of age. The seamless experience is totally beyond anything on any other line.

The food has slipped over the years and is "average," but the entertainment in the dining rooms, the different menus and costumes each night, and the fun with the servers makes each meal a treat.

Honestly, the only bad things about DCL are too many kids (we avoid this by cruising off season) and the outrageous price increases over the last 2 years. We've cruised 38 times (I think), on a total of 4 lines. Each line has something to recommend it, but overall for the family situation, you won't beat DCL.

To your concern about crowds--every crowded activity has places that are less crowded if you know where to hang out. The biggest crowds are deck parties. Go one deck up from the main area!

Wow, thanks for all the great info from seasoned Disney cruisers!

My perspective is as a grandmother who has cruised with her granddaughter (aged 4 and 5) on Carnival and Celebrity. Our next cruise will be this December with Disney.

I expect Disney to be a completely different experience.

I'm inferring from your post that this will be your grandchildren's first cruise? If so, you may find they enjoy some aspects of the cruise not unique to Disney. Our granddaughter's favourite parts of the cruises she's been on include dressing up for dinner, watching the ship dock in the mornings with Papa, late night swims in the pool, and just generally the two-on-one time with us.

I have only been on the "big" ship, the Fantasy for a 7 day cruise, but I can tell you from my experience, the two keys to your question of crowds are "expectations" and "intentions."

Do you want to be constantly "doing" things? Or do you want to relax? Both can work. There is plenty to do, and plenty of places to do nothing.

Some things, like the two main pools are GOING to be crowded, pretty much all the time. Likewise, at certain times the Aqua Duck (tube water slide) and the breakfast and lunch buffets will be crowded.

But many other things will be quite empty (we took a ship's tour with 5 people in it).

Even the pirate party and the big shows had plenty of space available, no need to wait in line, as long as you don't mind being further back or on the sides. If you want to be right up front, then yes, you'd better arrive 30-40 minutes ahead. It is up to you, and what you want.

Likewise, even when places are crowded, like the buffet, there will be a space opening up soon, as long as you aren't in a rush.

So in summary, you can have hectic, do everything, non-stop vacation, or you can have a laid back, calm, easy-going vacation. It is your choice and it depends on how many things you want to try to pack in.

Have a great trip! Your grandchildren and you will have a wonderful time!

We gave our grandchildren ages 9 & 11 a Disney Cruise for a Christmas Surprise. Of course we did send their parents too :)

My daughter poo pood the ridiculous cost and said they did not need Disney and could do the same thing much cheaper on another line.

WELL did her story change! The kids loved every minute, could hardly get them away from new friends in the kids clubs. The entire experience was over the top and pure Disney! The entire family loved everything about it and only wished they had not been so spoiled for other cruise lines.

They felt this was a once in a lifetime experience. Sailed the Magic in a Family Veranda.

If you can afford to treat your grandchildren to a Disney Cruise it's a real special experience and the adults will have plenty of adult time also as the kids are so engaged in their club activities.

The Disney Pixie Dust is real :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

You will all have the time of your lives with DCL! We were on Wonder last December with our 5 and 6 year old and they still talk about how much fun they had and look forward to doing it again. Disney sets the bar high when compared to other cruise lines we have sailed on ( Celebrity is a close second when we traveled without kids).

I wish I could tell you the Character meet and mingle lines aren't too terribly bad...but that was one thing we spent most of our time doing on this ship. Character meet and mingles happen all throughout the day and reappear at different venues and different days of the sailing. This was a relief because that allowed my kiddos to pick and choose 2-3 characters a day to sign their autograph books. One thing that helps with the lines is to immediately go to guest services and reserve a time to meet with the princesses. We didn't realize that we could have done that and only gone through ONE line to see all the princesses. The characters also make random appearances throughout the ship and it is great to have their autograph books ready for a surprise meeting. :)

One last tip-Plan on signing up for the discounted photo package prior to sailing. We paid $80 for 4 photos!!:eek: None of my photos that I took with my camera came close to the quality of the photos that they took. Next time we will definitely purchase the package.

I believe that you can now schedule a time for the special Meet and Greets on line prior to your cruise. These are the ones that used to be a matter of "get on board as early as possible in order to go to GS/PA and get tickets."

Another hint to avoid the lines--get to the meet and greet area about 5 minutes before the character is due to arrive. You might encounter a few people who read the schedule, but you'll be there before all of those who see a character and line up.

The kids also see many characters in the OC if they choose to participate. There is "Do-si-do with Snow," "Story Time with Belle," Mickey coming to teach them how to be a Mouseketeer, green army men teaching them how to march, etc. Check out the kid schedule. Obviously, not all of these activities are scheduled on shorter cruises.

I can't compare the ships, as we've only done the Dream. But if you are coming from Crystal and Oceania, I would advise considering concierge level. It will help minimize the number of lines you have to stand in and the little interruptions that occur on a more mass market line.

You'll have priority embarkation, debarkation, and probably priority tender tickets as well. The concierge lounges on Dream and Fantasy (soon to come to Wonder) will give you a more quiet space to retreat to, and you'll have access to the concierge sun deck area as well. With the concierge to make appointments for you and score last minute reservations or tickets to the meet and greets, it'll help make the service and amenities you receive closer to the more personalized service you receive on a smaller luxury ship.

The pools, buffets, and the deck parties will be very crowded, but that's to be expected.

As long as you go in with the right expectations, I'm sure your family, and your grandchildren in particular will have a wonderful time. Of course you can still have a wonderful time without concierge, but it may suit your personal preferences.

[sNIP] The concierge lounges on Dream and Fantasy (soon to come to Wonder) will give you a more quiet space to retreat to, and you'll have access to the concierge sun deck area as well.

Just to clarify this point, I am aware that they have announced a Concierge lounge for the Wonder using the some of the same same as the Magic, but I have not heard they will be installing a sun deck?

On the Magic they have the whole of the space that the Outlook Cafe on the Wonder occupies. And the Wonder has a enclosed structure on the deck 10 Starboard side where they placed the Concierge sun deck on the Magic.

Time will tell if they rip that structure down, but if they will be sharing the old Outlook Cafe space with the Concierge and still keep part of it as the Cafe, then it will be tiny!

ex techie

Images from a Google search for comparison:

The Magic Concierge Lounge and sun deck:

Magic-2015-Dry-Dock-Exterior-Conciege-Lounge-Outdoor-Seating-Entrance.jpg

The Wonder Outlook Cafe area and part of it soon to be Concierge lounge:

disney-wonder-adult-pool-spa.jpg

You can't go wrong with DCL and children. We took our granddaughter and our adult children on the Magic in February for a short 3 day cruise. We didn't want to overdo with our then 4 y/o granddaughter. We have sailed on 3 other cruise lines and found that Disney does it better than anyone. Everything about the ship was designed for comfort. The two part bathrooms are genius. Our only complaint was that our time wasn't long enough. So my husband and I did the 14 day Panama Canal crossing on the Wonder last month without the kids. It was wonderful. We've already booked a week long trip in April, back on the Magic, for our children and grandchild. I think they've spoiled us for other cruise lines, at least for the next few years.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. As it turns out, the dates we can do a Disney cruise (early June), the destination (Caribbean) and the length of the cruise (7 days) that we desire gives us once choice: Fantasy.

I am still in sticker shock as to the cost because Disney is more expensive than the luxury Crystal ships where food, entertainment, lecturers and service are all top notch. Plus it's all inclusive including alcohol, specialty dining and all gratuities.

Disney does have the magic pixy dust :) and because we are taking our 2 grandkids I know that the entertainment for them (and us) will be of high quality and we will enjoy it immensely. So now that it's going to be Fantasy what can you tell me about that ship and where are the best cabins (deck and location).

Well, we should start with what sort of cabin you want and how many people will be in the cabin(s). The interior cabins all have the "magic" virtual porthole which is actually fun for at least one cruise. We booked an inside once just to experience this feature. And you can turn it off to sleep.

Honestly, I have no real use for an oceanview given the availability of the magic porthole on the interior cabins.

A balcony is obviously a nice feature, particularly if you plan to drop the grands into the programming and want a little private time. On the other hand, there are plenty of places on the ship to enjoy the ocean breezes without purchasing a balcony.

Since you are already seeing sticker shock, I'm guessing that a concierge suite may be more than you want to spend. The concierge services are great, but I can do 2 or 3 cruises for the cost of 1 concierge cruise. It's just a personal desire thing.

SO, tell us what you are looking for in a cabin and we can make some suggestions.

I guess one cabin or two?? Are grandma and grandpa taking two Grandkids or are you taking there parents and you are joining them (so two cabins). If it's just the 4 of you then get a family Veranda as they are a bit larger and a bit more room for all.

We've taken our two oldest grandsons on four cruises-- two Disney and two Carnival. Going on the Fantasy in less than two weeks. They started cruising at ages 5 and 7 and have loved every minute. I would say go on a 4 or 5 day cruise if they are quite young. And I would go for the bigger Disney ships because there's more to do. We always take the "obstructed view" balconies on Disney Dream and Fantasy because they are much cheaper than balcony and are only a tiny bit smaller than the regular balconies. As to Carnival ships, we prefer the older ships because they have suites at a good price, and now that our boys are 11 and 13, we like the extra room. I also like the theaters better on the older Carnival. Disney can't be faulted. We just like some variety. The older Carnival have also had the waterslide/ropewalk upgrades which our tweens love. Unfortunately, Carnival and Disney have the most itineraries in the summer when the boys can most easily sail. I am not overly fond of much about Carnival. Disney we adore, but we like change.

Edited by GrandmaHofmann

Sticker shock in that I thought Disney would be far less expensive than Crystal but it turns out that Disney is more expensive than Crystal when you factor all of the cost into the equation and look at it from a per day cost perspective. I accept that it's a totally different type of cruise and I am past the initial "shock" and going for it.

The parents will be going so there will be 4 adults and 2 children. I suspect we will go for the least expensive outside cabin. Can 2 adults and 2 kids sleep in the same room comfortably or is it wiser to have one child sleep with the parents and one with the grandparents (of course alternating nights)? Do you recommend adjacent rooms?

Would you recommend an eastern or western Caribbean cruise?

Eastern, for us, is rather a "been there, done that. However, there are no bad ports on the Eastern. On the Western, Grand Cayman is one of our all time favorite ports. However, this is a tender port which means that it is more likely to be canceled due to rough seas than a port where the ship can dock. If you miss GC, you get a sea day as there is nowhere nearby that the ship can visit. Cozumel is one of our least favorite ports, so you take the bad with the good on a Western.

A DCL cabin is as much as 50% larger than cabins on other ships. Yes, some of the other lines have been playing "catch up" in recent years, but I was shocked at the cabin sizes on some other lines. If a cabin sleeps 4, it will sleep 4 comfortably. It also has the "split bath" which is really nice for a larger family getting ready in the morning or at dinner. One room has a toilet and sink, the other a bathtub and sink. Bottom line, it doesn't really matter whether someone is booked with grandma and grandpa or not.

Connecting staterooms is really up to you. They will allow free movement between the rooms if you open the doors. On the other hand, that provides a little less privacy. You can also get adjacent rooms that do not connect--again, your choice. That seems rather convenient since it is a family trip. Another thought might be cabins across the hall from each other--one inside with the virtual porthole and the other with a real porthole (since you said you were looking at the cheapest outside room). You just have to check prices for your dates. I've seen times when there was almost no difference between interior and oceanview and other times when the cost difference was quite a bit.

I would suggest that you book as soon as you know your dates...the prices generally increase as the cruise dates near and the ships do fill. This is particularly true during school vacations.

The parents will be going so there will be 4 adults and 2 children. I suspect we will go for the least expensive outside cabin. Can 2 adults and 2 kids sleep in the same room comfortably or is it wiser to have one child sleep with the parents and one with the grandparents (of course alternating nights)? Do you recommend adjacent rooms?

Would you recommend an eastern or western Caribbean cruise?

i agree with the previous poster...the rooms are a bit larger than standard and with the split bathroom, it makes things much easier for families (one bathroom has a sink and bathtub, the other bathroom has a sink and toilet)....

so, yes, keep the kids with their parents and the grandparents in their own room..

however, i do think having connecting rooms would be very convenient..

that way you can have the door open if you want, or close it when you want privacy...

this allows for the greatest flexibility....

for example, lets say the grandparents offer to babysit the kids, while the parents make a late night of barhopping/dancing/movies/walking in the moonlight/whatever..

the kids can be asleep in their room, while the grandparents are in the connecting room with the door open.....i find it makes it more flexible..

but whatever you choose will work...

Edited by alaska_planner