Costa maya- ncl or private excursion

CaiteS

for our Jan cruise: trying to determine the best route for my husband and I during the Costa Maya port. We definitely want to do some sort of all day beach thing! We like the beach and will want to have drinks while we are there! Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on our options- do we go with the NCL beach break- all inclusive; wing it to YAYA beach via the bus w $1.00 coronas? Or try Nohoch beach club??? Hoping someone has experienced one or two of these options! Thanks in advance!!

Take a cab to the beach, it is only a few dollars. It is a nice public beach and drinks are cheap. The last time we were there it rained but we still enjoyed the walk. Vendors are a bit of a pain but it is Mexico.

Maya Chan was fantastic. They pick you up outside the post and away you go. Unlimited food, booze and fun. We were lucky enough to be there to witness a wedding and it was just great. Beach was clean, kayaks were available after they give you a brief lesson and it is up to you to do whatever floats your boat. Massages were so-so, but the staff, Americans, went out of their way to help. Will be going back again in 2016 just to do Maya Chan.

We went to Nohoch Kay. Think Mexican fishing village. People were very nice. I think a couple of American ex-pats own it. Wouldn't take money until we left. Food plentiful. Drink kept coming. Not much vendor bother

Beach not spectacular. Water a little weedy. But we had a relaxing day.

You will need to run the gauntlet outside the port area and walk through the gates to catch taxi. Very cheap. Resort will call cab to go back to port.

I can not recommend Maya Chan enough. It is fantastic. Such a peaceful beach day with a fantastic staff, no pushy sales people, great food and drinks included, free use of snorkel equipment and glass bottom kayaks, and so much more. Make your reservations in advance as it does book up.

6&8

I love Costa Maya. Take the bus to the beach, $1 per person, walk to El Faros, bucket of 6 beer for $10 and great fish tacos. taxi back, think it was either $2 or $3 per person.

Lois

Thinking about booking Maya Chan? No ! :rolleyes: Don't do it, move along nothing to see here.....;) And your teens and younger, you'll never hear the end of it... I can't believe we have to go back again next year. They must be into self-denial. Recommend you go shopping instead.;)

Thinking about booking Maya Chan? No ! :rolleyes: Don't do it, move along nothing to see here.....;) And your teens and younger, you'll never hear the end of it... I can't believe we have to go back again next year. They must be into self-denial. Recommend you go shopping instead.;)

This is quite literally the worst advice I have ever read on cruise critic...maya chan is amazing. Just look at the number of people on the thread giving it glowing reviews.

As for your daughter I am not sure what she likes, but if she is not into hanging on a beach, kayaking, or snorkeling then she might not enjoy it. I have seen kids there playing in the sand but they were young. They can make non-alcoholic drinks and milk shakes for her in place of alcohol. You will get a cabana with a bed and hammock that is nice. It is not a hint blow up slide super exciting place, just a very nice relaxing beach day with great staff, drinks, and food.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

This is quite literally the worst advice I have ever read on cruise critic...maya chan is amazing. Just look at the number of people on the thread giving it glowing reviews.

As for your daughter I am not sure what she likes, but if she is not into hanging on a beach, kayaking, or snorkeling then she might not enjoy it. I have seen kids there playing in the sand but they were young. They can make non-alcoholic drinks and milk shakes for her in place of alcohol. You will get a cabana with a bed and hammock that is nice. It is not a hint blow up slide super exciting place, just a very nice relaxing beach day with great staff, drinks, and food.

6&8

Lighten up Francis, I think it was a joke.

Sarcasm, check into it...

Edited by jonboy9756
spelling

6&8

Thanks. I know thatI would love Maya Chan, and I think my dd would probably like it. Especially if there are maybe some other kids around. She was very happy splashing around in the water last year when we were at GSC, so she does not need the inflatable slides (although she wouldn't complain if she found one). I'll definitely give it some more thought and talk about it with her. I know that Maya Chan has limited availability, but I think we have some time to figure it out before our Feb cruise.

LOL - True! The more that stay away the less crowded it is for US!

Harriet

6&8

It was just a joke. Didn't you see the 'smiley' faces?

Harriet

OP, by now, Maya Chan wins hands down. When we went there, grandkids were 9,9, 12,13 and 14. They are the ones pushing to go there in 2016 . They are seasoned cruisers, each on 7 cruises, and know what they like. True, they had each other to pal around with, hope your DD can find other kids around. If not, she will enjoy the water stuff (?) kayaks especially since they are safe and she will have someone to help if she asks. They will make her all kinds of milkshakes and other drinks, all non alcoholic, and there is even a gentle dog that loves the attention.

OP, by now, Maya Chan wins hands down. When we went there, grandkids were 9,9, 12,13 and 14. They are the ones pushing to go there in 2016 . They are seasoned cruisers, each on 7 cruises, and know what they like. True, they had each other to pal around with, hope your DD can find other kids around. If not, she will enjoy the water stuff (?) kayaks especially since they are safe and she will have someone to help if she asks. They will make her all kinds of milkshakes and other drinks, all non alcoholic, and there is even a gentle dog that loves the attention.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My dd will be 12 when we are in costa maya, and will probably be happy with the beach. A gentle dog will probably make her even happier than other kids! :D I'm sold. I guess I should just go ahead and book it. Do you happen to know what their cancellation policy is?

Thanks for sharing your experience. My dd will be 12 when we are in costa maya, and will probably be happy with the beach. A gentle dog will probably make her even happier than other kids! :D I'm sold. I guess I should just go ahead and book it. Do you happen to know what their cancellation policy is?

At this point you should probably go over to the Costa Maya board and you will find all the details. :D You hve to put down a small refundable deposit to reserve a spot and you will get emails. They are low risk as long as the hurricanes stay away... :eek: