How long Bayside to Gulf ?

Sat1

My apologies if this has previously been asked. I have booked my first cruise on Norwegian, the Jade. Time from Galveston, it's just around the "corner." Thanks.

My apologies if this has previously been asked. I have booked my first cruise on Norwegian, the Jade. Time from Galveston, it's just around the "corner." Thanks.

Your journey on the NCL Jade, from Bayport Cruise Terminal (NOT Galveston!), can take hours, depending on several factors... the port is a very busy place, and, of course, weather! You will be in Galveston Bay for a fairly long time once the ship get underway. You will be able to see land (or lights) in the distance for quite awhile before actually reaching the Gulf.

For a real experience - sail from New Orleans! About 8 hours to get to the Gulf and it is not a leisurely pace! You will wonder were they get these great pilots.

One of the coolest cruises we ever took was from New Orleans. Will never forget sailing down the Mississippi. About 11:00 that first night we were in the cabin and all of sudden see lights passing almost right on top of us. Dang if we weren't passing another cruise ship going up river. We could have played catch we were so close. So much to look at on the journey. Would love to do that again!

Sadly, 2 short months later, Katrina hit and New Orleans was forever changed. Really shocking to see everything we had viewed under water.

Bayside to the Gulf is, as MagnoliaBlossom stated, about two hours. Another cool one is out of Baltimore down the Chesapeake.

Edited by tarps14

If all is normal you are looking at two hours or so.

Sometimes it can be pretty scary because the navigable channel is very narrow in spots. You come really close to other ships and it sometimes seems like you are playing chicken.

We've sailed from the Bayport Terminal several times. It is a nice terminal with surface parking. We have had some of our easiest embarkations and debarkations at Bayport.

Many thanks to y'all for the info. Gives time after muster to look at thr boring (?) land. After a snack, :-)

Transiting Galveston Bay is anything but boring from a navigation/safety stand point.

I'd also be willing to wager there is more disrupted cruises out of this port than

any other in this country.

You miss most of the actual Port of Houston, it's huge. Most don't know that in terms of foreign origin cargo it's the largest in the country and only going to get busier. Plenty to see heading for the Gulf:)