Staten Island to Manhattan Cruise Port

bren61

We will be staying on Staten Island and taking the ferry to Whitehall Terminal Manhattan South, then taking a cab to the pier. What are the average cab rates for that trip? Also, when we get off the ship are there cabs waiting right at the exits to be able to get a ride back to the ferry? We usually have 2 suit cases each plus our back packs and don't want to have to walk far distances if not necessary.

We will be staying on Staten Island and taking the ferry to Whitehall Terminal Manhattan South, then taking a cab to the pier. What are the average cab rates for that trip? Also, when we get off the ship are there cabs waiting right at the exits to be able to get a ride back to the ferry? We usually have 2 suit cases each plus our back packs and don't want to have to walk far distances if not necessary.

What day of the week would you be doing this?

Assuming that you're going to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, not Brooklyn, taxi fare will probably be in the $25 to $30 range, but could be substantially higher in heavy traffic.

It's been a while since I've taken the Staten Island Ferry, so I can't say how easy it is to get a taxi there, nor whether there is a taxi stand and where it is relative to the ferry terminal exit. On your return at the Manhattan cruise terminal you'll likely be directed to cross 12th Ave. to get a cab at the taxi stand there.

That's 4 suitcases + backpack, might be a tight squeeze into NYC's gradually downsizing fleet of taxi ... although with 2 of you, it should still fit into the new generation of Nizzan NV 200 compact minivan, custom designed for taxi. Hauling them onto & off the SI Ferry with the weekday commuter - is going to be fun as well, it is "accessible" friendly. Just be prepared to stand for the crossing.

You should be able to exit the SFT, keep right & walk toward Whitehall Street (One New York Plaza - tall building on the waterfront, right next to the terminal) & look for a taxi ... as they might be dropping folks off (there is a taxi stand somewhere, just don't recall & whether it's been relocated) less than 5 minutes of walking or about a city block's worth. Several bus lines have their terminal there - so, you might have to walk a little further, half a block, up to the intersection of State Street & Water Street, to look for a yellow taxi.

There are probably good availability of Uber & Lyft (and, car services) cruising in that area with the high density of corporate offices and "accounts" on weekday. From there, it's a relatively easy trip up the old West Side Hwy to MCT ... about 80 city blocks, good # of traffic lights but traffic should flow relatively smooth.

I would really like to know if someone has actually done this option. It's been talked about but I have never heard back from anyone who has done it.

It's not a typical route, but I know many folks have done NY sightseeing from SI. I don't see it as being a problem other than the amount of luggage and the amount of time it might require. There should be no need to get involved in the morning commuter rush - just wait until 9 am or later.

Why are you choosing to leave from Staten Island? Are you staying in a hotel or staying with friends or something else? If you're doing some sort of Park/sleep, there could be better options at EWR.

South Ferry, Ferry Terminal has been redone. There is now the South Ferry Bus Loop so the cabs were moved to Whitehall Street to the right (facing North/Uptown) of the large subway entrance. You should be able to hail a cab or pickup one that is dropping off. Heck looking at Google earth you see a line of cabs from 2016 >G<.

On the Staten Island end there are ramps from the drop off all the way to the boat. Depending on the tide the ramp to the boat on the upper level may have some incline.

If you get one of the newer boats, the boat has an elevator and you can go to the lower deck and just roll your bags off. (Spirit of America, Senator John J. Marchi, Guy V. Molinari,) Older boats (Kennedy, Newhouse, Barberi) you will roll off in Manhattan and have to use an elevator. The long sweeping ramps in Manhattan are long gone with the rebuild of the terminal.

You would also need to look for the wheelchair turnstile entrance at St. George Ferry Terminal or lift your bags over the turnstiles. No payment they are used to count heads (midriffs?).

It's not a typical route, but I know many folks have done NY sightseeing from SI. I don't see it as being a problem other than the amount of luggage and the amount of time it might require. There should be no need to get involved in the morning commuter rush - just wait until 9 am or later.

Why are you choosing to leave from Staten Island? Are you staying in a hotel or staying with friends or something else? If you're doing some sort of Park/sleep, there could be better options at EWR.

We usually stay at Hampton Inn & Suites on Staten Island when we cruise out of Bayonne. I was debating between Hilton Garden Inn, Ridgefield, NJ and the Hampton on SI. After factoring in the taxi cost and the hassle of the ferry and managing luggage, I think we will just go with Hilton Garden Inn. Thank you all for your info.

We usually stay at Hampton Inn & Suites on Staten Island when we cruise out of Bayonne. I was debating between Hilton Garden Inn, Ridgefield, NJ and the Hampton on SI. After factoring in the taxi cost and the hassle of the ferry and managing luggage, I think we will just go with Hilton Garden Inn. Thank you all for your info.

I'm so glad to hear that. I think you've made an excellent decision. The feedback on Hilton Gardens is very good - it has excellent access to the Manhattan Cruiseport via the GW Bridge and Henry Hudson Parkway.

Staten Island has some good options for Bayonne, but I've not been recommending those options recently due to the unpredictable Bayonne Bridge closures. I don't think I would ever recommend SI for the Manhattan Cruiseport unless the OP had free lodging and parking available. The last time I researched it, SI could actually work for Brooklyn when you add up the total costs.