Queenstown overnight excursion vs. Akaroa Transalpine Train day excursion

goat rancher

For those who have cruised New Zealand itinerary before....

These two excursions both sound very interesting, but BOTH are very expensive (somewhere around $1200 for two for Queenstown--- Dunedin to Milford Sound overnight trip with stop in Queenstown overnight---and around $700 for two for daytime train trip in Akaroa)

If you could only do ONE of these excursions, which one would it be? Which one gives you the best view of inland South Island and which gives you the most variety and quality of stops along the way?

Would you recommend somehow "hocking the farm" to do BOTH tours???

Liz

Seems expensive to me. I've done a 3-week South Island-only land trip which included flights from San Francisco, several nights in Queenstown's best hotel (The Dairy Private Hotel - it's fantastic), and an overnight on Milford Sound (plus Doubtful Sound cruise) with Real Journeys, several nights in Aoraki, Dunedin, Te Anau, Franz Josef (including a helicopter ride above Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers) for less than $6,000 USD (total for two people).... one night in Queenstown plus a cruise on Milford for $1,200 seems a little steep to me...

Thanks...that's why I was asking....

I did a 3 week driving vacation both islands in 1984 but NOT with current husband....and of course pricing was MUCH MUCH different way back then....

I am just trying to weigh whether it is worth it to show my husband these things, since he has never been...and since it is very unlikely we would be able to do a driving vacation on our own now or in the future....

Just not sure what the experience is on these shore tours vs. what I was able to do and see so many years before on my own....and if I can still give my husband a chance to appreciate the beauty of New Zealand if we opt out of these chances to explore the interior....

Liz

We did the Queenstown overnight excursion and thought that it was the highlight of our trip! Yes, it was expensive but we figured that this would be our only trip to New Zealand. The sights we saw and the experiences that we had were well worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
For those who have cruised New Zealand itinerary before....

These two excursions both sound very interesting, but BOTH are very expensive (somewhere around $1200 for two for Queenstown--- Dunedin to Milford Sound overnight trip with stop in Queenstown overnight---and around $700 for two for daytime train trip in Akaroa)

If you could only do ONE of these excursions, which one would it be? Which one gives you the best view of inland South Island and which gives you the most variety and quality of stops along the way?

Would you recommend somehow "hocking the farm" to do BOTH tours???

Liz

Liz - you should search for the thread by Terry in Ohio on his cruise to Australia & New Zealand. I have found this by googling either Terry in Ohio Solstice Australia or TLC in Ohio Solstice Australia. He writes fabulously and has lots of pictures and is always willing to answer questions ( I have even called him on the phone with questions). He did both of these excursions and should really be able to help you.

I have cruised in NZ and chose not to do either, because they are too expensive.

However, if I were to choose one, I'd definitely choose Milford Sound, which is better value, despite being dearer than the other option. This excursion has the WOW factor and I haven't read a negative comment on the tour, despite the cost. To the contrary, I've often read that it was worth the cost!

For those who have cruised New Zealand itinerary before.... These two excursions both sound very interesting, but BOTH are very expensive (somewhere around $1200 for two for Queenstown--- Dunedin to Milford Sound overnight trip with stop in Queenstown overnight---and around $700 for two for daytime train trip in Akaroa) If you could only do ONE of these excursions, which one would it be? Which one gives you the best view of inland South Island and which gives you the most variety and quality of stops along the way? Would you recommend somehow "hocking the farm" to do BOTH tours??? Liz

Liz - you should search for the thread by Terry in Ohio on his cruise to Australia & New Zealand. I have found this by googling either Terry in Ohio Solstice Australia or TLC in Ohio Solstice Australia. He writes fabulously and has lots of pictures and is always willing to answer questions ( I have even called him on the phone with questions). He did both of these excursions and should really be able to help you.

Appreciate, Liz, this great question. AND, really love the nice/kind follow-up praise from Maureen in Colorado. Have lots of info and pictures on my live/blog. Below is the link to those many postings, pictures and details.

YES, I am happy to share more. Much might, jokingly, depend on the size and value of your farm that you are considering to "hock". The bigger and more valuable it is, then you can afford to spend more. BUT, seriously, the honest truth is that going down to Australia and New Zealand is costly in BOTH time and money. Not cheap!! BUT, very much worth it!! The more you "invest", the better "return" you will gain. There are, however, limits. Where do you get the best "value"???

Ideally, as we did, do both. If I needed to rank them, the two-day, overnight Queenstown was best. We saw and did more, especially to sample the greatness of NZ's South Island. During those two days we did a rainforest, many scenic areas, an old gold mining town, wonderful Queenstown, a nice historic boat ride to a good buffet, a winery, bungee jumping, etc., etc. The rain trip was very nice and good, but the "star" of that day was the jet boat experiences. Super great. Loved those THRILLS!!!

From my live/blog, check:

Page Eight: Posts #142-143 documents our exciting JetBoat adventure. Below is just one picture sample. Many more on the full live/blog.

Page Fifteen: Posts #295-297 show Akaroa and the Tranz Alpine rail trip to the Southern Alps. Posts #299-300 illustrate the start in Milford Sound and heading towards Queenstown.

Page Sixteen: Posts #301-303 include info and many visuals related to NZ sheep, Arrowtown (the Gold Rush town), Queenstown, Lake Wakatipu, etc., on the South Island. Posts #305-309 include many pictures and details for the coal-fired, historic TSS Earnslaw ship sailing near Queenstown, the Walter Peak Station with dinner and sheep shearing, Queenstown itself, the bridge that was the starting location for bungee jumping, visiting a winery, going to Dunedin, etc. Lots of great pictures from the NZ South Island!! Post #311 has more Dunedin and departing from that location visuals.

Added questions and info needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 176,242 views for this posting.

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. From Akaroa, we did a combination ship excursion that included both the rail trip to the mountains/National Park, plus JetBoat. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg