AMA vs Emerald Price Difference

LTC

DH and I did our 1st river cruise with AMA last August...a Bordeaux wine cruise. Had a great time and doing our 2nd river cruise with them this summer which is a Paris-Normandy wine cruise. In 2018 we are planning on doing a longer cruise and are looking at AMA's 14 night Magnificent Europe from Amsterdam-Budapest. Emerald does the Splendors of Europe which is a similar cruise, both in length and ports with almost identical shore excursions. Here's where I get confused, if you pick a similar date and cabin, AMA is priced quite a bit higher. For example, June 9th on AMA is $7999 p/p plus $420 p/p for port charges plus gratuities. The same date with Emerald is $6095 p/p with port charges and gratuities included in the price. (This is in Canadian dollars) The difference between them would pay for our airfare plus hotel nights.

From what we've read, Emerald gets good reviews and has new ships. Has anyone been on both AMA and Emerald? What are the similarities and differences between them? Is AMA worth the almost $5000 difference?

I have not sailed AMA but sailed Emerald. I booked a tulip cruise with AMA next year. From reading reviews of AMA and through reviewing their itinerary it looks like AMA has more choices for shore excursions which have no extra charge. With Emerald they mostly offered walking tours only on the Rhine/Main cruise. I was a bit disappointed with food on Emerald. AMA has a good reputation when it comes to food. I do not eat meat but I do eat fish. The fish on Emerald all seemed to be poached and not flavorful. We ate several lunches in port (very enjoyable) but may have eaten on the ship more if the food was better. Emerald closed the sun deck for the entire Main, not sure if AMA does that. I would ask them. I must say I really enjoyed the indoor pool on Emerald and the crew were wonderful.

I have not sailed AMA but sailed Emerald. I booked a tulip cruise with AMA next year. From reading reviews of AMA and through reviewing their itinerary it looks like AMA has more choices for shore excursions which have no extra charge. With Emerald they mostly offered walking tours only on the Rhine/Main cruise. I was a bit disappointed with food on Emerald. AMA has a good reputation when it comes to food. I do not eat meat but I do eat fish. The fish on Emerald all seemed to be poached and not flavorful. We ate several lunches in port (very enjoyable) but may have eaten on the ship more if the food was better. Emerald closed the sun deck for the entire Main, not sure if AMA does that. I would ask them. I must say I really enjoyed the indoor pool on Emerald and the crew were wonderful.

Thanks for the info on Emerald. The food on AMA was excellent, you won't be disappointed with it at all...the best salmon I've ever eaten was on AMA. We just have to figure out whether the differences between them is worth all that extra cost.

We have sailed on both Emerald & AMA. I could not see paying the difference when it is that significant. There are 2 things you have no control over when you book --> the cruise director & the chef. The chef directly impacts the food. Although many people rave about the food on AMA, it was not outstanding on our cruise with them. It was good - not outstanding. It was the same on our Emerald cruise last October. We have completed 11 river cruises - # 12 is in less than 3 weeks. We have traveled with most of the major players, and I would be hard pressed to say one line has "better" food than another. Again, the chef plays a big part in the menu and overlooking the food prep. I am looking forward to Avalon's "fresh" menu on our next cruise.

Emerald is a "new kid on the block" when it comes to river cruising. But their "big sister" (Scenic) has been around a few years now. So, they have the opportunity to learn from a family member. I must say it is nice to have all gratuities and airport transfers included. We tend *not* to do any optionals, so our costs at the end of the cruise are minimal. Our cruise director on Emerald was amazing, and that did enhance our enjoyment of the cruise.

I think the reason for the price difference is the poor exchange on our CDN dollar. Emerald is Australian - where AMA is based in the US.

We look at itinerary, then date, then price. If all is created equal, then I tend to go back to a company that I am happy with. I would travel again with any of the companies. Often, however, there is a significant price difference - or a "perk" (ie: extra night in a hotel) - or a unique stop - that helps us make the decision. Our next 2 cruises are back with Avalon. The one later this month is because of an excursion to Flanders and Ypres. In September, we are back on the Seine --> because of a phenomenal sale!!

Whatever you book, enjoy!!

Fran

We have sailed on both Emerald & AMA. I could not see paying the difference when it is that significant. There are 2 things you have no control over when you book --> the cruise director & the chef. The chef directly impacts the food. Although many people rave about the food on AMA, it was not outstanding on our cruise with them. It was good - not outstanding. It was the same on our Emerald cruise last October. We have completed 11 river cruises - # 12 is in less than 3 weeks. We have traveled with most of the major players, and I would be hard pressed to say one line has "better" food than another. Again, the chef plays a big part in the menu and overlooking the food prep. I am looking forward to Avalon's "fresh" menu on our next cruise.

Emerald is a "new kid on the block" when it comes to river cruising. But their "big sister" (Scenic) has been around a few years now. So, they have the opportunity to learn from a family member. I must say it is nice to have all gratuities and airport transfers included. We tend *not* to do any optionals, so our costs at the end of the cruise are minimal. Our cruise director on Emerald was amazing, and that did enhance our enjoyment of the cruise.

I think the reason for the price difference is the poor exchange on our CDN dollar. Emerald is Australian - where AMA is based in the US.

We look at itinerary, then date, then price. If all is created equal, then I tend to go back to a company that I am happy with. I would travel again with any of the companies. Often, however, there is a significant price difference - or a "perk" (ie: extra night in a hotel) - or a unique stop - that helps us make the decision. Our next 2 cruises are back with Avalon. The one later this month is because of an excursion to Flanders and Ypres. In September, we are back on the Seine --> because of a phenomenal sale!!

Whatever you book, enjoy!!

Fran

Thanks for your reply. Found your comments on the price difference...Australian dollar vs US dollar interesting. Had no idea that Emerald was Australian based and couldn't understand how there could be such a huge price difference between Emerald and AMA when dates, cabin and shore excursions were so similar. Will most likely book with Emerald as the price difference will pay for airfare and hotel nights in Amsterdam. Will have to look at Avalon also. Your 2 cruises sound wonderful! Enjoy your cruises!