Sail-Away on Island Princess

alwalaska

We will be sailing to the Panama Canal from San Pedro next February.

I was wondering if anyone knows the path that the ship takes when she leaves San Pedro. I would like to see the islands, but I don't want to be on the wrong side of the ship.

Also, if anyone has a list of key things we may see while sailing away, I would love to see it. When sailing out of NY and New Orleans and Tampa, I knew there were certain things to watch for and that was pretty cool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It'll be getting dark by the time you clear the harbor, but there is a battle ship on your starboard side just after you clear the dock.

Thanks, but how long does it take to clear the harbor? Sail-away is 4pm and sunset is 5:24pm.

San Pedro is an industrialized part of Los Angeles. No islands, unless there's great visibility to Catalina Island. When your ship is just leaving, you'll sail past Ports O'Call, which is a little shopping village. If the weather is decent, there may be diners eating outside Acapulco's and they'll be waving at you. If you want to see this, go to the starboard side of the outside deck.

Not sure if the Vincent Thomas bridge will be all lit up, but if it is, and you're leaving after sunset, it's very spectacular.

It takes maybe 15 minutes from the time you leave the cruise terminal until you pass the breakwater in San Pedro. Most of the sights will be on the starboard side of the ship. The USS Iowa, Ports of Call Village, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Angel's Gate Lighthouse. The Port side is more industrial, but it does have a few interesting buildings. After leaving the breakwater, your ship will turn south and pass between the mainland and Catalina Island. It it's clear enough, Catalina will be on the starboard side of the ship. If you're interested, I have some photos of the sailway from San Pedro. It will be in the link below, the Ruby Princess (Sea of Cortez) Photos. Enjoy your cruise. The Panama Canal is amazing!

Edited by Jasperdo

It'll be getting dark by the time you clear the harbor, but there is a battle ship on your starboard side just after you clear the dock.

Thanks, but how long does it take to clear the harbor? Sail-away is 4pm and sunset is 5:24pm.

As Jasperdo posted it's about a short 15 minutes to clear the Port of LA.

The right (starboard) side of the ship is more scenic (USS Iowa, San Pedro, waterfront restaurants & sail ships) and the left (port) side only has container ships & a federal prison on Terminal Island. If it's clear you may see Catalina Island in the distance after exiting the harbor.

Here's a link to a live webcam which appears to be mid channel looking north with the battleship USS Iowa on the left, the cruise ship terminal just past the Iowa and the Vincent Thomas bridge in the background.

http://www.lawaterfront.org/multimedia.php

Here's a link to the Port of LA cruise ship schedule if you want to watch a cruise ship sailing. Although you'll have to wait because the next cruise ship in LA isn't until 9/22/16 when the Ruby Princess is in port.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

the left (port) side only has container ships & a federal prison on Terminal Island.
I totally agree that the starboard side is far more interesting and scenic. But I think Reservation Point on the port side does have a few nice buildings and a neat cluster of palm trees:

26164312752_4e3e3eb8bb_z.jpg

25983904930_cf624ae900_z.jpg

I totally agree that the starboard side is far more interesting and scenic. But I think Reservation Point on the port side does have a few nice buildings and a neat cluster of palm trees:

26164312752_4e3e3eb8bb_z.jpg

25983904930_cf624ae900_z.jpg

I refreshed my memory on Google Maps & by looking at your photos (they're always great) of the buildings on the left side after Ports of Call & they are much more scenic than the warehouses on the right side during the 2nd half of the sailaway.

Like many sights from a ship, moving around the open decks is usually the best option.

I refreshed my memory on Google Maps & by looking at your photos (they're always great) of the buildings on the left side after Ports of Call & they are much more scenic than the warehouses on the right side during the 2nd half of the sailaway.

Like many sights from a ship, moving around the open decks is usually the best option.

Yep. What he said! ;)

I forgot to reply about the sailing time...with those times you're sailaway will be in daylight. :)

It is easy to get from one side of the ship to the other, as it is much narrower than the average ship.

Yep. What he said! ;)

Tracie, I was composing my post so didn't see you saying the same thing about moving around the ship during sailaway...so yep, what she said. :o ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks again everyone for the great replies. I love the pictures and web cam links. Now I'm dreaming and not working. Ooops.

TracieABD, I was thinking about being anti-social and hanging out on my balcony. I guess even at that it isn't too far to an open deck. ;)

One more question for those who have been on the Island or Coral Princess ...

With all of the glass barriers, where is the best place to watch sail-away if I want to take photographs? I am short and will be on the Island Princess.

I think after the refurb, the Island is mostly private near the aft of the ship. I don't think we will be paying for the sanctuary.

Edited by alwalaska

It takes maybe 15 minutes from the time you leave the cruise terminal until you pass the breakwater in San Pedro. Most of the sights will be on the starboard side of the ship. The USS Iowa, Ports of Call Village, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Angel's Gate Lighthouse. The Port side is more industrial, but it does have a few interesting buildings. After leaving the breakwater, your ship will turn south and pass between the mainland and Catalina Island. It it's clear enough, Catalina will be on the starboard side of the ship. If you're interested, I have some photos of the sailway from San Pedro. It will be in the link below, the Ruby Princess (Sea of Cortez) Photos. Enjoy your cruise. The Panama Canal is amazing!

I am thoroughly enjoying your photos. Thank you for taking the time to label them as well. You have a talent with the camera.

With all of the glass barriers, where is the best place to watch sail-away if I want to take photographs? I am short and will be on the Island Princess.

I think after the refurb, the Island is mostly private near the aft of the ship. I don't think we will be paying for the sanctuary.

Sadly the great aft viewing areas on the Island have been replaced by cabins & that's just one of the many reasons we prefer the Coral.

My recommendation for photos would be the open decks (15 & 16), the covered Promenade deck or through the secret door on Baja & Caribe decks forward.

There's a sign that as I recall says something about the door not being for passenger usage but that viewing area has always been crowded with passengers on our Alaska & Panama Canal cruises. I think the reason for the sign is because when underway the door will violently slam shut unless securely holding the door & could injure someone.

Any of the exposed areas can get very cold in Alaska so bundle up particularly on those forward facing viewing areas with not much to block the cold wind.

Sadly the great aft viewing areas on the Island have been replaced by cabins & that's just one of the many reasons we prefer the Coral.

My recommendation for photos would be the open decks (15 & 16), the covered Promenade deck or through the secret door on Baja & Caribe decks forward.

There's a sign that as I recall says something about the door not being for passenger usage but that viewing area has always been crowded with passengers on our Alaska & Panama Canal cruises. I think the reason for the sign is because when underway the door will violently slam shut unless securely holding the door & could injure someone.

Any of the exposed areas can get very cold in Alaska so bundle up particularly on those forward facing viewing areas with not much to block the cold wind.

Interesting. I knew about the aft "secret" door on our deck (the others all went away in the refurb I believe), but I had never heard of one forward. Do we just walk all the way forward on one of those two decks and it should be obvious?

We are going to the Panama Canal, so no worries about things being too cold, hopefully. ;)

Interesting. I knew about the aft "secret" door on our deck (the others all went away in the refurb I believe), but I had never heard of one forward. Do we just walk all the way forward on one of those two decks and it should be obvious?

We are going to the Panama Canal, so no worries about things being too cold, hopefully. ;)

Yes, just go forward on those decks & at the end are the well marked doors. If I recall correctly there are 2 doors with a space between them for each entrance.

:eek: Opps...I've been posting on too many threads & forgot that you're sailing the Canal & not Alaska like in your CC name. :o

We've sailed full crossings twice (e/b and w/b) and we had to set an alarm to get up early enough for the first set of locks. Our e/b crossing was in the month of January & it was dark when we sailed under the Bridge of the Americas to ensure getting a space on that forward viewing area which was crowded by the first locks.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro Flyer answered your question perfectly. I just want to add a few thoughts to that. You're right about the blue glass barriers on the upper deck. They are very annoying, and I never hang out by them when I want to get some photos. Here's a photo of my wife standing next to one. As you can see, the blue tint is horrible for taking photos. There is a small open strip between the panels, but it's still annoying:

7372436638_b14bb08a56_z.jpg

Fortunately, the blue glass is only on the forward sections of the upper deck. If you go mid ship to aft, the railing is lower, with no blue glass. Much beter for photography:

7377263216_55142fa8b9_z.jpg

The "secret" doors on Baja and Caribe decks forward have been mentioned before, and they are the best place on the ship for forward viewing going through the Canal:

7228437002_e50caba7de_z.jpg

7234851854_1163e667f9_z.jpg

But don't forget to spend some time out on Promenade Deck 7. You're get a nice close up view of the Locks from there:

8211548625_af62c27709_z.jpg

8211535849_837e1a0c54_z.jpg

Yes, just go forward on those decks & at the end are the well marked doors. If I recall correctly there are 2 doors with a space between them for each entrance.
I believe you're right about there being 2 sets of doors. I took a photo of the second one, but never got the first one. I seem to recall the first one says something about Crew Only, or some sort of restriction. But it's obvious that it's ok for passengers to be out there, because it's right below the Bridge, and the Captain was waving at us. And the Naturalist was on the Bridge as well, and was using us as a sound check... "Wave if you can hear me". Plus, one of the Security personal was out there with us enjoying the transit. Here's what the second door looks like:

7441484386_2773719815_z.jpg

Edited by Jasperdo

:eek: Opps...I've been posting on too many threads & forgot that you're sailing the Canal & not Alaska like in your CC name. :o

We've sailed full crossings twice (e/b and w/b) and we had to set an alarm to get up early enough for the first set of locks. Our e/b crossing was in the month of January & it was dark when we sailed under the Bridge of the Americas to ensure getting a space on that forward viewing area which was crowded by the first locks.

I appreciate the help and definitely understand the confusion with multiple threads and my screen name. When I joined CC in 2006, it was to plan our Alaska cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Little did I know that I would become addicted to both CC and cruising. ;)

We will be going Eastbound as well. We have the corner balcony where we can hopefully see side and aft, so I figure we will start the morning fighting for space to see entering the locks, and then we will retire to our balcony and enjoy the view as we leave the locks in a little more peace. Probably not much peace since the only aft viewing area left is right next to our balcony.