P and O loyalty points halved after three years?

i love dorset

Just had lengthy phone calls trying to activate my P and O loyalty after a few years of not sailing with them after I read on web page " loyalty points don't expire" only to be told after three years they are halved and Quote "you have to start again"

When we returned to P&O after several years of cruising with Princesswe found that we had lost most of Portunous points because we had not travelled with P&O for over 4 years, we also lost all of the points that we had accrued from Princess at that time so we had to start again. Since the change to Peninsular Princess cruises are not credited even thou though P&O cruises count toward Princess.

Same thing happened to us when we returned to cruising with P&O after an - admittedly very long - break.

DH was told by one P&O cruise consultant that the points we had accumulated in the past would still stand, only to be told once we'd booked that the points were expunged and we had to start over.

The new points seem to be "worth" less - even with four of us cruising now, because we can only cruise once a year/every other year, the points are mounting up very slowly.

Just looked on P&O Peninsular Club site and found this:-

Do my points expire?

No, there is no expiry date to your membership points.

There isn't if your points were attained within the period of The Peninsular Club but if you have points from prior to the inception of The Peninsular Club and were gained in The Portunus Club and you haven't cruised since these will be lost.

depends when the points were accrued;

when I started cruising on P&O in 2004, the halving every 3 years was in force - I cruised with them again in 2005, then went with Cunard for a couple of years (2006/7) - I then thought in 2007 'I want to go to Venice' (so book early to get lowest single supplement) & 'I'd better book P&O again or lose those points' - so booked for early 2008.

Around that time (I get the feeling it was just before booking, which would have been april 2007, but couldnt swear to it) it changed to the 'points dont expire' scheme - but I fairly sure it was still Portunus as I think the Peninsular scheme came in much more recently (2010? ish? :) ).

So if you sailed before 2007 (?) the points could well have been halved (each year?) until the new rule (?) - all guesswork :D

depends when the points were accrued;

when I started cruising on P&O in 2004, the halving every 3 years was in force - I cruised with them again in 2005, then went with Cunard for a couple of years (2006/7) - I then thought in 2007 'I want to go to Venice' (so book early to get lowest single supplement) & 'I'd better book P&O again or lose those points' - so booked for early 2008.

Around that time (I get the feeling it was just before booking, which would have been april 2007, but couldnt swear to it) it changed to the 'points dont expire' scheme - but I fairly sure it was still Portunus as I think the Peninsular scheme came in much more recently (2010? ish? :) ).

So if you sailed before 2007 (?) the points could well have been halved (each year?) until the new rule (?) - all guesswork :D

Exactly depends on whether Portunus Club or the current Peninsular Club.