Viking Question - Gratuities

SmidgenAndBandit

I will be sailing my first river cruise in just over 2 weeks and I have a quick question about gratuities. Does Viking add the gratuities to the onboard account like most f the ocean cruises do or do you pay the gratuities in cash (Euros)? I am trying to figure out how much cash I will need to carry with me...

Sharon

At the end of the cruise they will hand out envelopes if you want to pay in cash or extra. You can settle gratuities when you settle your on board account. Last year they did not add them in, you have to tell them how much you want to tip. Also not sure about cruise director, I think we paid him in cash. We always tip in euro.

It varies a bit depending on where the cruise is.

For China and Cambodia, you can have gratuities for the ship staff charged to your credit card, but the tips for the main tour guide have to be in cash.

I will be sailing my first river cruise in just over 2 weeks and I have a quick question about gratuities. Does Viking add the gratuities to the onboard account like most f the ocean cruises do or do you pay the gratuities in cash (Euros)? I am trying to figure out how much cash I will need to carry with me...

Sharon

Remember ATM machines are all over the area you are sailing and you can pick up extra Euros anytime. As for daily just carry enough Euros for the tour guide & driver (2 & 2 or 3 & 1) see what your Tour Director recommends. And change for potty stops as most require pmt to potty ;)

We just got off a Viking cruise in April finishing in Amsterdam. On the last night after dinner, we had to stop by the desk and let them know we wanted the gratuities added to the bill. I think the recommended amount was like 12E per person per day or something. They added them right then, charged the credit card and our account was all cleared out.

Sharon

I really cannot believe Viking doesn't include gratuties paid, Scenic there is absolutely nothing at the end of the cruise you have to pay YIKES!!!!!, no need for a wallet with Scenic, monies only for your own spending on shore. We are going on a river cruise May/2017 with Scenic and everything is included, even alcohol 24/7 not just wine with lunch & dinner, also our fridge stocked every day with whatever alcohol you want, and the cruise we booked Viking was $1,000.00 more, sure have to check into all the companies I guess.

Marlster

I really cannot believe Viking doesn't include gratuties paid, Scenic there is absolutely nothing at the end of the cruise you have to pay YIKES!!!!!

Different approaches suit different people.

Some want all-inclusive, some do not, just pick a line that meets your needs...

Marlster, I loved my Scenic cruise and have booked another. If you don't drink alcohol or sodas and want to tour all on your own or are satisfied with the included tours, another cruise line might suit you. But give me Scenic where I can get my favorite soda any time of day, get an adult beverage anytime, have a steward who keeps the room spotless, a butler in call, great tours, get a small bag of laundry done and extras like the "Scenic Sundowners. And walk off the ship without paying another cent.

Viking advertises so heavily in the US that I think some people must think it's the only River cruise line and that every cruise goes to Budapest which is in nearly every ad.