Personal Upgrade Fairy!

socaljo

Oh my goodness, I was so surprised today! I'm taking our granddaughter on a Mediterranean cruise for her HS graduation in May. DH is staying home to work. :(

I just booked us some affordable Princess EZAir, been checking daily for a couple weeks. He wanted us to upgrade above coach, but it was $1000 more pp for Premium Economy! No way, I grabbed us coach for $1068 each round trip. Score!

So he decides to call our PVP from work today and upgrade our cabin. I'd booked an inside, going cheap, as 12 of 14 are port days, why not?? But he decided we needed a balcony (he & I usually are in a mini) and he grabbed us just not ANY balcony, but an AFT balcony! :D B737 on the Royal! Oh MY!

I'm a lucky wife...:p:D

I have a legitimate question- what is it that makes an aft cabin special? I've only cruised a few times,so I truly don't know !

Thank you :)

It's purely a matter of personal preference. Some people like the panoramic view off the back of the ship as well as the churn of the wake and the accompanying sound. Me?, I don't care for that location at all. I choose not to revel in the turgid mess I leave behind and prefer to focus on the undisturbed, unexplored swells that lay before me. As much as others rejoice in the sound of the roiling wake, I find it a distraction from the solitude I seek at sea. Truth be told, my favorite sights and sounds on the water are found whilst under sail instead of steam with the gentle lapping of waves kissing the hull and an occasional luff of a sail. But that is not the most efficient way to cover distance while on vacation. So as a compromise, I board cruise ships but try to stay as far away from the sights and sounds of the stern as possible. Still, many many people prefer the aft and such differences complete life's puzzle and make the world go 'round. Sorry for the thread drift.

I just took a trip with my teenage granddaughter and it was wonderful.

I'm sure you both will have a wonderful time.

Now, can you send your personal upgrade fairy my way? :D

She and I did a 2000 road trip last summer when I taught her to drive, that's when I started thinking about this cruise! She is a wonderful travel buddy! We are a couple of lucky ladies!

Oh my goodness, I was so surprised today! I'm taking our granddaughter on a Mediterranean cruise for her HS graduation in May. DH is staying home to work. :(

I just booked us some affordable Princess EZAir, been checking daily for a couple weeks. He wanted us to upgrade above coach, but it was $1000 more pp for Premium Economy! No way, I grabbed us coach for $1068 each round trip. Score!

So he decides to call our PVP from work today and upgrade our cabin. I'd booked an inside, going cheap, as 12 of 14 are port days, why not?? But he decided we needed a balcony (he & I usually are in a mini) and he grabbed us just not ANY balcony, but an AFT balcony! :D B737 on the Royal! Oh MY!

I'm a lucky wife...:p:D

Sweet, you'll love the aft view balcony......:)

Bob

I think the wake is mesmerizing. It's not quiet, while the ship is sailing, but I find it peaceful anyway. Aft is where I always try to book our cabin.

Hope you have a wonderful time (and your husband is wonderful)!

I think the wake is mesmerizing. It's not quiet, while the ship is sailing, but I find it peaceful anyway. Aft is where I always try to book our cabin.

Hope you have a wonderful time (and your husband is wonderful)!

Mesmerizing is the perfect description! And, yes, he is a wonderful guy, although even he would tell you it took a few years of hard training! :p

It's purely a matter of personal preference. Some people like the panoramic view off the back of the ship as well as the churn of the wake and the accompanying sound. Me?, I don't care for that location at all. I choose not to revel in the turgid mess I leave behind and prefer to focus on the undisturbed, unexplored swells that lay before me. As much as others rejoice in the sound of the roiling wake, I find it a distraction from the solitude I seek at sea. Truth be told, my favorite sights and sounds on the water are found whilst under sail instead of steam with the gentle lapping of waves kissing the hull and an occasional luff of a sail. But that is not the most efficient way to cover distance while on vacation. So as a compromise, I board cruise ships but try to stay as far away from the sights and sounds of the stern as possible. Still, many many people prefer the aft and such differences complete life's puzzle and make the world go 'round. Sorry for the thread drift.

wow, you are so eloquent! i was going to say that i'm one of the odd ones that doesn't like aft cabins. i was upgraded to one and found it to be noisy. and i like seeing where i am going instead of where i've been. you said this much prettier!

We are also fans of aft balconies, especially on the Royal class ships. Our reason is our love to dine (lunch - dinner) on our balcony... the balconies on the Royal class ships are generally very small; however, the aft balconies are large... we always try to book an owner's suite which has a wrap around balcony (huge) with enough room we had a dinner party for eight one evening (steward brought another table and more chairs) and we still had plenty of room! It's extremely tranquil listening to the wake and enjoying a wonderful meal.

We are also fans of aft balconies, especially on the Royal class ships. Our reason is our love to dine (lunch - dinner) on our balcony... the balconies on the Royal class ships are generally very small; however, the aft balconies are large... we always try to book an owner's suite which has a wrap around balcony (huge) with enough room we had a dinner party for eight one evening (steward brought another table and more chairs) and we still had plenty of room! It's extremely tranquil listening to the wake and enjoying a wonderful meal.

This will be a first for an aft balcony for me, but DH & I booked ourselves a Vista Suite (aft suite) for Hawaii in May '18. Can't wait to have 9 sea days on that balcony!! :D