An Appeal Awarded Against Fred

tring

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3714909/Fred-Olsen-cruise-passengers-entitled-settlement-falling-ill-says-court.html

This relates to events in 2011, but mention is made of other cases between 2009 and 2013 with the ones prior to 2011 having being settled.

Of course that was the era when there were some very lengthy ongoing problems, (over spells of months rather than just one or two cruises), with Boudicca and which Fred did not seem to be able to eradicate. Hopefully such long lasting events will not appear again and this will help to concentrate Fred's efforts to make sure it does not.

I do not understand why Fred continue to contest these cases to appeal level, when it just means they get continued bad press about them. The judgement sounds pretty conclusive.

Edited by tring

This is not a case from the past. The judgement was made 2 days ago, on Friday. The judgement was an ongoing case about events in 2011, as things take that long to go through if a case is contested and this was even taken to the Court of Appeal by Fred.

I got the link from the 'Events at Sea' website which I look at from time to time.

This is not just about there being a ship which has some infection on board, but is a court judgement that Fred did not deal with the situation adequately, so are liable. Other more detailed accounts of the case can be found and in a short time the whole judgement will be available online for those who know how to access it.

Edited by tring

I would, with respect, suggest that as this is a Fred Olsen forum, Trings original post would be of interest to many of us.

The rights or wrongs of Fred contesting the judgement are another matter I suppose.

Personally I think Fred would have been better served accepting the judgement. Would have been forgotten within a month.

As London says every cruise line gets hit with Noro.

A few years back Boudica seemed to be on red alert all the time, we were on a cruise with it and swore never again on Boudica, but guess what Boudica again last year.

I have travelled on all FO ships except Black Watch. I am much more interested in hearing people's positive experiences regarding their cruises or excursions they have taken. Unfortunately, this forum seems to have very few contributors.

I have travelled on all FO ships except Black Watch. I am much more interested in hearing people's positive experiences regarding their cruises or excursions they have taken.

Although I enjoy hearing people's positive experiences, I also feel the need to know of their negative experiences too. And in this case I consider that Fred's insistence on defending the indefensible all the way to the Court of Appeal is very poor customer service by the company and will have lost them much customer respect.

This thread has not been about norovirus - we all know that cruise lines are now much better at managing this than they used to be. The thread has been about FO's current attitude to customers as illustrated by continuing to argue all the way to appeal. Not good for its reputation.

London, as regards travelling on FO ships, I am the opposite of you in that we have only sailed on the Black Watch when with them, none of their others. It's a bit like a comfortable pair of old shoes since it requires little effort from us, so we will no doubt continue to use it.

And thank you Tring for your original information which I think has been useful.

Edited by cottonbuddas

You can be certain that the Daily Mail will dig up anything detrimental to Fred. Olsen. I think someone there must have had a bad cruise. Like others, I much prefer to concentrate the positive features of the Fred. Olsen cruise ships, and there are plenty of these.

It's always good to know these things but I guess nowadays we have to accept that some people's hygiene standards may be lacking and that regardless of the efforts of a cruise line this sort of virus will remain commonplace. I despair at the number of times I have been into the loo be it restaurant, pub, cafe, ship and witnessed people exit without washing hands - I did once suggest to someone that they should wash their hands but they told me in no uncertain terms where to go !!

How ironic it would be (though not at all surprising) if some of those victors in the court case were partly responsible for spreading the virus !!

PS Having said that we survived a wonderful Fred cruise on Balmoral last year and had no problem !! Great ship, great staff, great service !!

Edited by Gwaijai
added extra

• 2 weeks later...

We've just got off the Olsen's Balmoral cruise to the Baltic - bit of a fiasco in terms of the virus on board and the dreadful tendering arrangements in Stockholm where we had to wait 2.5 hours to get off. This was only our second cruise and not hugely impressed. Olsen really seems to have a problem with communications.

You were lucky then. We've only ever done two cruises, and both were with Olsen. We had a tender port in Norway last year which went smoothly but this one in Stockholm was a fiasco. To add insult to injury, there was no apology until the following day but there was never any explanation so consequently rumours abounded.

It's time Olsen learnt that it's far better to come out with clear and honest explanations rather than allow all sorts of rumours to circulate.

To add insult to injury, there was no apology until the following day but there was never any explanation so consequently rumours abounded.

It's time Olsen learnt that it's far better to come out with clear and honest explanations rather than allow all sorts of rumours to circulate.

I guess the officers on board are not allowed to make any such announcements until cleared with HO.