Noisy cabin on Riviera

nvgal

Just returned from a Caribbean cruise on Riviera. We were in cabin 11026 (PH1). This cabin is located just under Waves Bar and the Culinary Center. All day long and some nights there were all kinds of noises:eek:. Rolling of carts, dropping things, pounding on something and other noises were a constant. The executive concierge tried to put a stop to the noise, but she was not successful. I would think "O" could install some of those gel mats or something. I would seriously reconsider taking this cabin if it is offered. Otherwise, the ship is beautiful.

We have been in 11020 twice - one on the Marina and a few weeks ago, on the Riviera. It is under the culinary center and we never heard any noise. The 11026 is under Waves and there is lots of chairs moving around and the blender and ice machine in the ice cream area, which would generate noise. I always try to get cabins sandwiched between other cabins, but the PH3 were all gone. Unfortunately, 11024 is probably the first cabin right under the noisy area and yours was the second. If you go further aft, you are underneath the pool deck, which is probably a little quieter as people are not constantly dragging the chairs, as they would be to pull up to a table at Waves.

I was in the same cruise in the PH1 11031 and we had a lot of noise from chairs moving, the cabin is just under the smoking section on the opposite side of the wave bar. The location is good in front of the executive lounge and very close from the lifts but the chairs nose can be annoying.

We were in 11053 on the March 4 sailing of Riviera. The noise above us started around 8:00 am and didn't end until 4:30 pm. It was annoying, but I didn't think that anything could be done about it.

Joan

My boss was originally booked in the aft suite right under the Terrace cafe for his upcoming South Pacific cruise on the Marina. While I was on the Riviera in October, I met some experienced O cruisers who where in an Owner's site a couple decks lower and they said they had one of those suites before and the noise was DREADFUL. For the rest of the cruise I couldn't help but wince every time I dragged my chair to/from the table while out on the Terrace deck (the chairs are heavy and it is hard not to drag them, often banging them on the floor as you shuffle/hop them towards the table). I felt bad for the people in those suites and my boss immediately called our travel agent when I returned and changed his cabin. He would have been SNAPPING TURTLES if he had that noise going on!

144610.jpg

Having stayed in those aft Oceania Suites several times, I can tell you that the "sounds from above" vary GREATLY from voyage to voyage, and 98% of the chair movements on the Terrace above remain unheard on deck 11.

That said, we were once entertaining in 11080 on the Riviera when it suddenly sounded, for a period of about ten minutes, like there was a professional Rugby game in Session on the Terrace of the Buffet Restaurant.

100011.jpg

Luckily Thierry Tholon, Riviera's wondrous General Manager, was a guest at that party, and he made a quick call to the Captain (of the Terrace Restaurant, not the ship), and I swear to you that we never heard a pin drop for the rest of the voyage. Thierry ensured that we had the Restaurant Captains' telephone number, just in case there was a repetition, but we never had to use it.

In fact, we used to notice afterward, how extra bus boys were "helping" passengers to lift the chairs when they were moved.

The moral to our story is....there is supervisory staff for every inch of these ships. If noise is an issue, let the supervisor of that area know (or send your Butler up, if you are too shy).

It DOES WORK.

This thread makes me think that no matter what cruise line, there is always a cabin under an undesirable area - this case Waves Bar, but I would think being under the gym as a bad area.

It really can make or break a vacation and is worth researching the cabin of interest in more detail before booking/sailing.

We have just got off Riviera and were in PH suite 11051. The noise was as described, constant and very annoying. We loved the cabin but would seriously have to think twice bedore booking again. I do not believe that had we complained it would have made any difference whatsoever.

• 2 years later...

Some say it is noisy but I am not sure why. It looks to be aft of the pool deck and just forward of the Waves Grill. There seems to be seating for the grill overhead and perhaps that is the noise source.

What is the stage on deck 11used for and when? I cannot tell what the area just aft of that stage is? Nothing is shown there.

I could get a similar cabin on deck 10. Should I? I like the idea of shade from the pool overhang and being near the Executive Lounge but would hate to have constant noise.

Any thoughts?

b_094052.jpg

Don't be concerned about untoward live performances, that stage is barely ever used for shows, and the white area behind it is -for want of a better description- the base of the smokestack. Anyway, it is where the engine exhaust vents meet before leading up to the funnel.

060457.jpgThere is a large (Plasma?) Television Screen on the wall at the back of that stage, usually displaying the current temperature and sometimes a route map, but no sound.

You may hear the occasional Deck chair being moved if you stay in 11053, but not much else.

[Don't be concerned about untoward live performances, that stage is barely ever used for shows, and the white area behind it is -for want of a better description- the base of the smokestack. Anyway, it is where the engine exhaust vents meet before leading up to the funnel.

There is a large (Plasma?) Television Screen on the wall at the back of that stage, usually displaying the current temperature and sometimes a route map, but no sound.

You may hear the occasional Deck chair being moved if you stay in 11053, but not much else.

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Edited by KyRoamer

b_094052.jpg

Don't be concerned about untoward live performances, that stage is barely ever used for shows, and the white area behind it is -for want of a better description- the base of the smokestack. Anyway, it is where the engine exhaust vents meet before leading up to the funnel.

Isn't Barristas above part of the area above the white section??

Isn't Barristas above part of the area above the white section??

Yes, the pipes consolidate on Deck 12, there is no Deck 13, and by the time that they reach Deck 14, they are consolidated at the center, so that the perimeter may be used for other purposes.

The white section at the center of the Restaurants holds goods lifts, dumbwaiters. galleys and pantrys :p

b_132703.jpg