Splendor 6 days from Miami (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayment, Cozumel) a few questions?

We are booked for the May 15 sailing on the Splendor, 6 days, leaving Miami to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'm interested to find out how many formal nights are on a 6 day cruise, if anyone might have fun times from this ship/itinerary. There are 2 sea days so would there be 2 different afternoon teas?

I realize the Splendor is supposed to be getting a dry dock this month so things may change, but still hoping to get an idea. I have searched for recent reviews and haven't found any of Splendor on this itinerary.

If anyone has done a review of this itinerary and ship, please post a link if you can. If anyone has any general ideas, comments, suggestions I'd love to hear from you.

This trip will be my husband, myself and our 21 year old daughter. This will be our 3rd cruise and her 1st!

We're leaning towards the bobsled ride with the skytram (and debating the falls), and then time to get some real Jamaican jerk chicken while in Ocho Rios. Grand Cayman we will probably do a tour combining the stingrays and the turtle farm, and we're probably going to just do a beach day with snorkeling in Cozumel. We've been to Cozumel twice while on land vacations, and did tours almost every day the week we were there so I feel like we've seen most of what there is in Cozumel.

Sounds like a ton of fun. This is my families and my first time in the carribean. We took the fascination ship to Nassau and Freeport in September of 2015 and did not necessarily enjoy it. These ports seem to offer a lot more.

Anything you recommend to see in Cozumel?

I definitely recommend the barrier reef snorkel in grand Cayman. I went on that cruise in October and it was the highlight of the trip. The guides are fun and the water is absolutely gorgeous. You snorkel right next to sting ray city and are able to see stingrays while snorkeling.

05aca7e4ad91956652b0807e993c0b40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sounds like a ton of fun. This is my families and my first time in the carribean. We took the fascination ship to Nassau and Freeport in September of 2015 and did not necessarily enjoy it. These ports seem to offer a lot more.

Anything you recommend to see in Cozumel?

I think we've made our final decisions...for Ocho Rios, we ended up deciding against the falls, and we're going to the skytram to the bobsled and then spend the rest of our time in the port and we'll probably go to Miss T's to get some jerk chicken.

For Cozumel we booked The Bar Hop. We did this on one of our land trips there and really enjoyed it. It takes you to the east side of the island and makes stops at 4 of the bars. The east side is so pretty and our daughter hasn't been there so we thought that would be a good choice. I can tell you what NOT to do and that is NOT to book anything with cozumel cruise excursions dot net. We had nothing but trouble with the tours we booked with them (for our land trip) and I've read a few recent posts of people having the same issues with them that we had. They are not reliable and the tours they arranged for us were not what was promised.

On our land trip there we took a sunset pirate cruise which was so much fun, but not available during the day. We took a trip into Playa Del Carmen and then taxi to Akumal to swim with the turtles which was the most amazing day ever, but the transportation time there and back would probably not be worth the cost. We took a jeep tour, which was actually a lot of fun, but I was not happy that they told us the guide would drive but when they picked us up they said one of us had to drive. I would not recommend driving in Mexico! But on that tour we saw Punta Sur, which we really enjoyed; it just takes a lot of time to get there and the tours that go there are either all inclusive food/drink (at Papitos Beach Club) or they include transportation but not both and to combine the 2 packages would cost over $100 per person, which seems too high to me. We did a little tour of a tequila place, but I wouldn't recommend it as the only thing you'd do. Chankanaab is pretty nice, snorkeling, pool, little beach, dolphin encounters, kind of a one stop place for all of that and only about $20 per person to get in there but of course extra charge for the dolphin swims (and a short cab ride). We've also done 2 tours to El Cielo, which is really beautiful, but both of the trips we took there were very disappointing. The first one was booked with the above company and the boat we were on broke down, they had promised us 3 snorkel spots and then El Cielo for about 45 min but we only got 2 snorkel spots and we had to leave El Cielo after only about 10-15 min because we ran out of time. The food and drink promised on that trip also weren't what they promised. The 2nd time we went to El Cielo was booked with Tigers Adventures but he wasn't there and the guides that took us were dull, and then it rained most of the time we were there. We decided not to try for a 3rd time to El Cielo. We did a tour with Chili Charters but that one was a private sunset tour. If you are into scuba or want to do any private tour they were the best...I would highly recommend them; I'm just not sure if they do a lot of tours during the day for cruisers...worth checking into though.

Phew, that was a lot! If you need any more details on the above, let me know.

Now for Grand Cayman we are looking at booking a snorkel tour with Captain Marvin. The tour we were looking at requires 10 people minimum and so far no one has booked. It is mostly all day tour that includes 2 snorkel stops (I think barrier reef and coral gardens) plus Stingray City and then ends with lunch at the beach near Rum Point. It's $75 per person...if you'd be interested in anything like that let me know. I'm hoping they'll be able to run that tour with at least 10 people. If not, we've decided not to go to the Turtle Farm and instead just do snorkeling and Stingray City and if we have time to go to a beach. This tour would include all of that. If not we'll just take a cab to the beach if there's time after a snorkel tour.

Hi Valentine,

I saw you have already chosen where to stop for jerk chicken but thought Id add that in Ocho Rios last year our tour took us to Scotchies (sp?) and it was delicious Jamaican food. Chicken and pork along with some other things (pork was amazing). I saw many on here talking about the place so asked for it to be on our tour stop.

Hi Valentine,

I saw you have already chosen where to stop for jerk chicken but thought Id add that in Ocho Rios last year our tour took us to Scotchies (sp?) and it was delicious Jamaican food. Chicken and pork along with some other things (pork was amazing). I saw many on here talking about the place so asked for it to be on our tour stop.

I've read a lot of good things about Scotchies and it was my first pick but I've also read it can cost $50 round trip just for a cab there and back so we've decided on Miss T's instead since it is closer to the port, possibly within walking distance :)

We are booked for the May 15 sailing on the Splendor, 6 days, leaving Miami to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I'm interested to find out how many formal nights are on a 6 day cruise, if anyone might have fun times from this ship/itinerary. There are 2 sea days so would there be 2 different afternoon teas?

I realize the Splendor is supposed to be getting a dry dock this month so things may change, but still hoping to get an idea. I have searched for recent reviews and haven't found any of Splendor on this itinerary.

If anyone has done a review of this itinerary and ship, please post a link if you can. If anyone has any general ideas, comments, suggestions I'd love to hear from you.

This trip will be my husband, myself and our 21 year old daughter. This will be our 3rd cruise and her 1st!

There are 2 formal nights on a 6 day cruise. There will be a tea time on every sea day. I can't speak for the Splendor as I have never sailed her but I have been to all of those ports.

Ocho Rios: We normally try to avoid Ocho Rios as we don't like that port but if I had to get off the ship, I would do Dunns River Falls.

Grand Cayman: We like Stingray City and a stop at Seven Mile Beach. There are a few stopping points on Seven Mile Beach. I would recommend Royal Palms Hotel. It is beautiful. You have to pay the fee to get in. NOTE: I would NOT recommend stopping at Calico Jack's. The chairs are rotted and the beach is not as nice.

Cozumel: We either do a Dolphin excursion or go to the beach. If you choose to do a Dolphin excursion go through Carnival. Some of the dolphin excursions give you beach time and unlimited food and drink. There are also many beaches in Cozumel. We usually do either Nachi Cocom or Paradise Beach. Nachi Cocom is an all inclusive beach that is $55 per person and is limited to I believe 100 people. Paradise Beach will be more crowded but if you don't want an all inclusive this would be a good beach. It has a nice swim up bar.

Yeah it did seem like it was "out there" but we requested it be included in our tour so no extra taxi costs.

We were on the Breeze with the same itinerary last year as you are doing this year.

We are leaving the same day out of PR on the itinerary of your other two cruises. Been wanting to do it for a long time. Would have preferred a different ship but Im looking forward to it anyway!

I've read a lot of good things about Scotchies and it was my first pick but I've also read it can cost $50 round trip just for a cab there and back so we've decided on Miss T's instead since it is closer to the port, possibly within walking distance :)

• 1 month later...

Hi we are on this cruise a family of 3 adults and our 7 year old Granddaughter, Grand Cayman we are doing dolphin swim and stingray city, in ocho Rios my son and his daughter are horseback riding, and in cozimel we are going to Island Passion for a few hours, really looking forward as have never been to America before and we are staying in Miami overnight before the cruise, hope to see you on board.

• 3 weeks later...

Valentine-we are on the same cruise as well. We booked a 3 stop snorkel at 10:00 am with Capt Marvins. There will be 5 of us so hopefully it fills up as well. I don't recall lunch as part of it but it is only $50pp and you are back around 2. We did this 2 years ago with them and it was fantastic.