Discovery Review

Thank you, I think we will leave it as is this time.

Would people recommend the Thomsons excursions? We are usually quite independent but as this is our first time cruising and with little time to organise things I don't want us to waste time in ports sorting ourselves out, anticipating that perhaps we could do our own thing in Barcelona? Any thoughts....

In a new, to us, port we always do the ships excursions just to get an idea of the area, but a lot of cruisers are more adventurous than us. I think you will be OK in Barcelona on your own just be very careful about pickpockets, we have been many times & even had a long weekend & have on every occasion seen problems.

In a new, to us, port we always do the ships excursions just to get an idea of the area, but a lot of cruisers are more adventurous than us. I think you will be OK in Barcelona on your own just be very careful about pickpockets, we have been many times & even had a long weekend & have on every occasion seen problems.

We intend to do Barcelona ourselves but other places depend on a few factors for us: time is the main one, can't afford to miss the boat and at least on an excursion, if your late, the boat will wait. If time allows, is there a HoHo bus nearby? Is the town you are visiting easily walkable? On our next cruise, for example, we stop in Naples and have already decided to do the excursion to Sorrento as it is risky doing it on our own.

As its your first time cruising I would recommend the ships excursions, we have witnessed cruisers being left behind and its not pleasant, but it is easy to do things on your own and the HoHo bus & mini train is a good way to start, you will find passengers will give you good advice & also destination services once onboard. I am certain you will have a great time its been many years since our first and be prepared you will go again!

You're welcome, Stevie & thanks for copying it here!

Any questions, feel free to ask - I will try to answer.

For anyone on FB, there is an unofficial Tui Discovery FB Group with lots of photos including bar menus with lots more appearing daily.

AI drinks package is a lot more comprehensive than previously too & the food choices & quality is very good.

A really lovely ship - I'm very excited to find out the itineraries for Discovery 2 now!!!

:):)

Hi Jules,

Do you know if they do Karaoke in the evenings, and if so, in which venue?

Also, was the indoor pool area quite peaceful, or is it busy on the sea day.

Hi Jules,

Do you know if they do Karaoke in the evenings, and if so, in which venue?

Also, was the indoor pool area quite peaceful, or is it busy on the sea day.

Every time I went in the indoor pool area, it was very peaceful - lovely place to have lunch too!

Just checking in the Cruise News & there was Karaoke in The Venue (Deck 5) so they obviously do offer it.

Edited by Julessmiles

Every time I went in the indoor pool area, it was very peaceful - lovely place to have lunch too!

Just checking in the Cruise News & there was Karaoke in The Venue (Deck 5) so they obviously do offer it.

Thank you very much! :)

Julessmiles, did many men wear DJs/Tuxedos? I am hoping not to have to take my DS due to flying with Germania with only 20k luggage allowance, most of which will be Mrs S2Bs shoes and makeup!!!

On the first cruise, there were quite a lot wearing DJ's but also quite a lot not wearing them - you could quite easily not take it as it's a completely different format now it's 'Dress to Impress'. There's no formal meal; just eat as normal then meet in the Atrium to see the Captain at 9pm.

keeping off the FB Page for Discovery as there are some good pics and info

however they have started arguing again......so sad:confused:

leave em to it ;)

Stevie

I know what you mean. I can't be bothered with all the conflict and sniping. It just erupts from nowhere, which is a pity.

It's a good job they're not all going on the same date! :D

Just back after a week on Discovery and then a week in Majorca.

Whilst we were on the air conditioning in our cabin never worked. We reported it twice by phone then face to face at reception. Each time we were told it would be fixed. It became apparent that this wasn't an isolated incident as the Live Room was absolutely freezing for the last 5 days, there was literally no-one in there at times. When I eventually went back to reception to make a formal complaint I was handled a by a very officious 'lady' who informed me there'd been a major maintenance problem which had just ben fixed that morning. This was on day 6! When I told her that her colleague had made no mention of this she asked me her name???

In addition to that there was a fictitious entry on my interim bill for Heineken lager. As I was on A/I and I always drink Fosters at home I could safely say this was an error. The first lady I questioned on this said she'd send it back to the bar dept. to investigate and it would be corrected on my next bill. Lo and behold it was still there on my final bill. I took this up with the officious lady and she said it would be sent back to the bar dept. As you can imagine I was less than impressed and demanded she removed it from my bill.

Although the amount was very small it would be rather large if you multiplied it by the total number of cabins.

To say the aircon situation ruined my cruise would be an exaggeration but it sure as heck made it uncomfortable and I intend to pursue Thomson for recompense. The blatant deception by telling me it would be looked at is unforgiveable and smacks of the Thomson of old.

Other than that the cruise was fine, entertainment brilliant; comedian very, very funny and all other members of staff excellent.

One thing to watch at check-in at Newcastle. We took a small carry on case and weighed it before we went, just under 7kg. At check in the lovely happy lady in her best 'computer says no' voice told me 'it's too heavy'. When I pointed out it weighed under 7 kg she said I was only allowed 5. No, I retorted; on a cruise we're allowed 7; no you're not; yes I am. Where is your documentation? Fortunately I had it on me and showed her it as 'she had to enter it on her system because Thomson are very strict with health and safety'

What a load of nonsense; jobsworth indeed and I'm ashamed a fellow Geordie could be employed in a customer-facing job. Perhaps she could get a position as a receptionist on the Discovery?

Nice review thanks, which deck was you on? The hand luggage thing is not an isolated case I have been highlighting it since it happened to us at Birmingham a couple of years ago, like you I take paperwork to prove it, I actually obtained an email off Thomson about it to show them.😁😁

Jimb98 and PC, we are flying with Germania from Norwich on the 23rd. We are sure our travel agent told us we could have 7kg of hand luggage. We rang to confirm and they now say it is 5kg. Because the airline is not Thomson Airways, we can only take 20 kg of hold luggage rather than the 23kg also. I just wondered what airline you flew with? BTW, the same agent told me we can take extra weight, but it will be charged at £10 per kg. is it worth me ringing Thomson, if so, do you happen to know a good number? I've emailed them but surprisingly, they didn't reply! Thanks

Edited by shot2bits

Unfortunately shot2bits its only on Thomson flights that I know its 7kg:eek:

Yes, just re-read my t&cs, you are right. So, I've paid more to fly from a regional airport and lost a total of 10 kg in allowable weight. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Just to make you feel a little better you only received 23kg hold luggage if you pay extra & you have to buy 5kg at about £20. Standard is the 20kg so you have only lost 2kg.x 2.

Thanks PC, I feel, sort of, better ish

if you mean Palma, I don't know as we were only on for a week so didn't go into Palma. If you had to walk from the ship into Palma, it would be quite a distance so I would imagine the port authorities must run a shuttle for which they will probably make a charge.

Might be worth waiting to see if anyone has been on for 2 weeks & they will hopefully be able to help.

There is a public bus just outside the Port entrance, cost 1.5 euro last year. We then walked back which took about 45 mins from the Cathedral.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all we are considering this ship for my mums birthday in March we want tropical cruise that isn't too hard to get to from the uk and this is the only one standing out at the moment. Parents sailed Thomson before and must say they didn't love the ships but we usually sail carnival or ncl but this was recommended as it is much bigger. Has anyone been on this ship and others to compare? Thanks

Dear Grez,

Massive help thanks. Was mulling over drinks package and you've made our minds up. I like a shant, the Mrs not so much. We both drink quite a bit of Diet Coke/lemonade during day so at £1.90 a pop the DP is still worth it (£360 for two for week in Oct)