Discovery Review

Copied this from other thread so we have a easy to find title for any newcomers

this post was kindly submitted by Julessmiles

thanks Jules

Stevie:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello folks!

Yes, I'm just back from Discovery - had a superb time!

Firstly, the ship is not docked in the "usual" terminal and you are dropped right outside the terminal "building". At most UK airports I believe, you are given a luggage label for your cabin; my advice would be to put this on when you get your case at Palma airport before you take your case to the bus (saves label getting lost in transit).

Once your case is on the bus, you won't see it again until it arrives at your cabin.

We arrived at about 2.30pm at the port and there were long queues to check-in. Whether they have put more check-in desks on now, I'm not sure.

Cabins are lovely - we had a standard outside which was a good size (larger than standard size on Spirit, Celebration I would say) and was very modern, clean & comfortable. Standard cabins have plenty of storage areas, 2 European & 2 US sockets, lots of drawers & good wardrobe space & safe which Thomson have confirmed there will not be an additional charge for.

Dressing table, lots of mirrors, kettle with tea & coffee & UHT sachets of 'proper' milk (not cream or creamer) & hair drier provided. New carpets in our cabin too.

The ship certainly has the 'wow factor' from stepping into the Atrium; the beautiful centrepiece; you just feel comfortable - there is a lovely atmosphere everywhere you go around the ship with quite a lot of familiar faces from many of the other Thomson ships, the hard working staff always have a smile & a friendly 'hello'.

Lots of spacious public areas to sit, to wander, to explore. Easy to navigate your way around with plenty of signage & ship maps everywhere. Plenty of sunbeds all over & deck 4 'promenade' (which doesn't promenade all the way around) seems to be a little known about place to grab a sunbed to relax in the peace & quiet. On 2 afternoons, my friend & I were the only ones on the whole of deck 4 on our sunbeds by the sea - heaven. I really do not think the Discovery will have a sunbed issue!

Adult only sunbathing, The Verandah on deck 9 has press-buttons to call a waiter for drink service. Glass House itself with the indoor pool is NOT adult only; nice relaxing area if you don't want to relax outside & does have air con so doesn't seem to get too hot.

Climbing wall looks fun. Love the mini golf which seemed to be well used. Outdoor pool area is lovely; the big screen is great & only in use at certain times. Recent movies such as Fault in our Stars & Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel were showing in the evenings as were Euro 16 football

matches.

Laundry facility (not self-service) which included a bag of wash & fold service for £14.95 (don't know if this will be offered all the time but I would hope so!)

Great eating venues; 2 MDR - Italian & 'normal'. Both provide lovely food & good service - they provide you with a 'bleeper' if a table is unavailable so you can wander & get a drink. Also Glass House, Islands Buffet & 2 A La Carte; Kora La & Surf & Turf for something extra special. Snack Shack is a great concept - love the fact you can just literally grab a pre-packaged breakfast, sandwich, wrap, roll, salad or fruit salad. Modern, small funky area to sit & eat or take it back to your sunbed.

Loved the Live Room; very bright, modern, fun bar area with the yellow piano which people can sit around to listen to the pianist & a fun concept with the 'virtual bands'.

Classy show lounge; comfortable sofa style seating with individual drinks holders in each arm. Drinks are ordered by the waiters via tablet so quick service.

Shows are all new for this ship; there have been 11 new shows created especially for the Discovery - we saw a wonderful Simon & Garfunkel show. Love the way they use modern technology & backgrounds integrated in the shows. The Show team are very talented & enthusiastic. I'm a bit "sat on the fence" with the shows , I'm afraid - we did only see 4 and 2 were good but the other 2, I felt were quite dated & not the usual big shows that we have seen on other Thomson ships.

Various different acts all over the ship; 3 Grand Pianos; 1 in the atrium, 1 in the MDR & 1 in the Live Room. Talented saxophonist in Bar 11 along with DJ Kencho - fantastic alternative entertainment venue which was 'buzzing' well into the early hours.

Comprehensive drinks included on the drink package including Prosecco; plenty of drinks to chose from.

Food onboard is very good. The 2 a la carte restaurants were very popular so do book early. All food everywhere has good attention to detail & nicely presented.

As people have been saying, there is no Captain's night as we all know it but the Captain & other officers do make an appearance once a week on a 'Dress to Impress Night'. Captain John made a short speech in the Atrium & then mingled with guests for photos. The majority of people dressed nicely - we saw one person in jeans. There is no formal dinner & there doesn't appear to be a 'Captain's Table' anywhere that guests are invited to dine with the Captain or Senior Officers.

There were a few 'teething problems' on the first week; nothing major at all & staff onboard have worked & are still working on sorting these out but nothing detracted at all & we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.

This lovely ship still has the Thomson 'feel' and also has some really modern & forward thinking ideas.

I have cruised with Thomson in the past with both family & friends & have also cruised with other lines. Anyone due to holiday on the Tui Discovery is in for a treat & I don't think will be disappointed!

As a "post note", the dock in Barcelona is further out too and there is a shuttle bus laid on at a price of 4 euros return to the Christopher Columbus statue however the queues were long so we actually shared a taxi with another couple on the way in & caught the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Edited by stevedeccaman
spelling

You're welcome, Stevie & thanks for copying it here!

Any questions, feel free to ask - I will try to answer.

For anyone on FB, there is an unofficial Tui Discovery FB Group with lots of photos including bar menus with lots more appearing daily.

AI drinks package is a lot more comprehensive than previously too & the food choices & quality is very good.

A really lovely ship - I'm very excited to find out the itineraries for Discovery 2 now!!!

:):)

Edited by Julessmiles

Hi Jules, there were pics of two types of safe on the FB page, not sure if they were both from Discovery,one was safe operated by credit card the other a touch key fob :confused:

Could you confirm ?

Many thanks

Stevie

The one we had was operated by keying in your own code. I did see the photo of the one operated by credit card which I find an odd thing to offer as where do you store your card??

Ooops :o

Still don't know arrangements for getting into town though. Is there a shuttle from the ship to the port gate? If you have to walk it is 900 yards :eek:

if you mean Palma, I don't know as we were only on for a week so didn't go into Palma. If you had to walk from the ship into Palma, it would be quite a distance so I would imagine the port authorities must run a shuttle for which they will probably make a charge.

Might be worth waiting to see if anyone has been on for 2 weeks & they will hopefully be able to help.

Hi julesmiles, fab review. We sail on the Discovery in March 2017. Do you have any photos of the ship that you could share with us? Thanks.

There are lots on the Tui Discovery FB page. Unfortunately I have never been successful at uploading photos to Cruise Critis so can't post any here :(

Jules...entertainment/shows.No comedians?own goal if not

I found that facebook page but could not see drinks menu,any chance you can cut and paste it on here?

We only saw 4 of the shows the week we were on. Two of the shows we saw, a few of us personally felt were a little odd & a bit "dated". The show team have superb talent & great voices but we just felt the material they were working with was strange - "Starry, Starry Night" was based in 1890's with 1890's costumes but with up to date music & a lot of talking/acting in between the singing - it just didn't work for me but that is purely personal choice.

We missed "An Audience with Anton du Beke" (Guest Entertainer / Speaker "for one night only") but I am told he was very good. There was a comedian one night - Dave Kristian (and a late night show another evening) which again we missed.

We were sat with a couple at breakfast on the last day who had cruised on Discovery when it was RCL and also on other RCL ships and their comments were that the entertainment was "dire". I really wouldn't say that but the 4 shows we did see did not all have the "big show" feel that the Thomson shows usually have having said that, the shows this week are receiving positive feedback.

Other entertainment around the ship was good; a fantastic "Band Jam" one night in the Live Room, Protege; Resident Party Band (Great!), Trio Banda Certa, Duo - Mili & Bertie, Two Piano Vocalists; Mr "H" and Andrew Boyer, Saxophonist, Jony Diggings who also works really well in Bar 11 with the Resident DJ, DJ Kensho.

Various other "usual" entertainment happening as well as Resident Dance "Hosts", Amy & Adam along with Virtual Dance classes, Interactive Game Shows, Movies on the Big Screen outside in the evenings - lots happening all around the ship throughout the day & evening so much so that we sadly didn't get to see it all!

As for the Bar menus, they are screen shots of the menu (photos) so I can't cut & paste & as I said earlier, I have never been able to upload photos on Cruise Critic but they clearly are in the "Photo Album" section of the FB page along with another album of Cabin Photos.

Edited by Julessmiles

Jim,

Have also tried copying photos from FB but no like

:confused:

Stevie

The menu is tiny; it's a small folded 'book' which is why it was hard to photograph.

Will willingly send / PM the photos to someone if they think they can put them on here. If you can find me on the FB group, PM me.

Edited by Julessmiles