What to do in Belize City?

tcarter8199

We are scheduled to be in Belize in September and I have been trying to research this port as much as possible. I haven't found an interesting excursion yet. Can someone help me out? We have a group of 10 people with 4 adults (30s) and 6 kids from 6-16. I don't think we want to go cave tubing or tubing on the river. Does someone know of a good sightseeing tour or a good beach? The other ports we have been to haven't been this difficult to plan out. Any help would be appreciated.

September is the month of celebrations in Belize. Knowing the exact date you are going to be in Belize City is important before recommendations can be made. It is possible that you will be there on a day you just want to experience a celebration in Belize City or a day you cannot even get to one excursion you might have planned. No one knows how to do a parade like the Belizeans.

We are scheduled to be in Belize in September and I have been trying to research this port as much as possible. I haven't found an interesting excursion yet. Can someone help me out? We have a group of 10 people with 4 adults (30s) and 6 kids from 6-16. I don't think we want to go cave tubing or tubing on the river. Does someone know of a good sightseeing tour or a good beach? The other ports we have been to haven't been this difficult to plan out. Any help would be appreciated.

Belize is an Eco country... they are trying to preserve the entire country as "natural" so touring is limited to Mayan ruins, caves, jungle tours, or ocean activities and beaches.

What do you like to do?

We will also be there on sept 14, 2016. We will be on the carnival breeze and are in the same situation, we aren't sure about what we want to do. We are considering finding a beach, but aren't sure which beach to go to, or cave tubing or zip lining. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very helpful

Belize is an Eco country... they are trying to preserve the entire country as "natural" so touring is limited to Mayan ruins, caves, jungle tours, or ocean activities and beaches.

What do you like to do?

We like beaches but are planning to the beach at the other two stops. Any ideas for a Mayan ruins tour with kids and 10 people?

We like beaches but are planning to the beach at the other two stops. Any ideas for a Mayan ruins tour with kids and 10 people?

We did Xunantunich and it fantastic. The bus is 2 hours each way, but tour guides on the way there are fantastic and give a full history of the country, all about the way of life, etc. Very enjoyable. Then time at the ruins with a Mayan guide, then grreat lunch at a small restaurant... back on bus pooped. most people slept back to terminal. Arrived in time to make one of the last ferries back to ship... not much time to shop.

If you want a shorted bus ride with the kids, I would do Altun Ha. It is closer. Haven't done it yet myself, maybe next cruise. We love the mayan ruins and culture. Belizean people are fantastic, too.

We will be in Belize, via Breeze, in January. We prefer low activity level excursions, due to my husbands physical limitations. Are there any animal refuge excursions that are good? not much transportation (not like the 2 hours mentioned above).

TIA

We are planning on taking the water Taxi/Ferry to Caye Caulker and just hanging out on the island for the day. We will rent a couple of golf carts and explore the island on our own time, stopping to eat, drink, take photos and whatever else comes our way.

It looks like a super laid-back little island great for relaxing and just hanging out.

We are planning on taking the water Taxi/Ferry to Caye Caulker and just hanging out on the island for the day. We will rent a couple of golf carts and explore the island on our own time, stopping to eat, drink, take photos and whatever else comes our way.

It looks like a super laid-back little island great for relaxing and just hanging out.

Changed my mind about the water taxi and we booked R/T with Coral Breeze Tours. I've read they are pretty responsive to ship times and I've already experienced that. I booked for the 9:00 am tour (we arrive in port at 8:00 am) and they said they would be putting everyone from our ship (NCL) on the 10:00 am tour and all the people from the Carnival ship onto the 9:00 am tour. This way they can be very respectful of the ships arrival and departure times with the passengers on each tour. YAY!! $48 R/T pp. More than the Water Taxi, but the secrurity of knowing we are with someone who will get us back to the ship on time is worth the couple extra bucks. It gives us over 3 hrs on the island plus rum punch on the boat!! DONE!

Debating the exact options. Just thinking we would have more time if we took water taxi, but I do worry a little about making it back to ship. What date are you on ncl? We r on the 12-19 mar jade.

We are on Apr 3-10 Star. We were talking water taxi, but really wanted the confidence of knowing someone was there to get us back to the ship. I hear the water taxi, while generally on time, is not always on schedule.

we will be in Belize in a couple of weeks and I am researching what to do. I have limited walking ability so your idea sounds interesting. where do you find the water taxi? How much are they to get to Caye Caulker, and how much was a golf cart to rent? can you see a lot of the island in a few hours? We don't snorkle or dive or zip. and will the golf carts hold 3 people? Our mom will be with us. Any help would be awesome. :rolleyes:

we will be in Belize in a couple of weeks and I am researching what to do. I have limited walking ability so your idea sounds interesting. where do you find the water taxi? How much are they to get to Caye Caulker, and how much was a golf cart to rent? can you see a lot of the island in a few hours? We don't snorkle or dive or zip. and will the golf carts hold 3 people? Our mom will be with us. Any help would be awesome. :rolleyes:

We aren't going until April. But what I found out in the research is that the Water Taxi leaves from very near where the tenders drop you off. It appears to be an easy walk. Water Taxi was something like $13 each way per adult. We've decided to book a tour to take us there because of the security that they are cognisent of our ships departure time. I was $45 pp or something like that. I was just a little concerned with the return Ferry and making sure that it was on time. Apparently they can vary in their scheduled times. I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but we are going the "tour company" route.

Don't know about the cost of the golf cart rentals, but I'm sure you can get some that seat 4 (for your party of 3). The island is small and easy to navigate. You will have no problem seeing most of it on your couple of hours there.

We were in Belize in mid-March last year on the NCL Jewel, and will be back the same time this year (March 12 - 19 also!) on the Jade. Last year, the majority of our group (approx 12 people, ranging in age from 16 to 73) did the Lamanai Ruins River Safari tour. The teens were somewhat bored :) by the long river ride, but everyone LOVED seeing the Ruins. Still talking about it to this day.

On that trip, I didn't go to the ruins but instead took my younger son and some others ziplining and cavetubing. It was also a great experience (I will be happy to share details if anyone is interested.)

This year we are going to try something different and plan to visit Goffs Caye. It was hard for me to come up with an excursion we are all happy with (group of 16) but by reading through this Board on Belize I got a ton of good ideas. Goffs Caye sounds beautiful and we're looking forward to it.

Hope this helps!

We are also on the NCL jewel 12 to 19 March and thinking about Caye Caulker. I was also a bit anxious about the water taxi so we may do the tour option as well for peace of mind, thanks for the info Mrsfuzzmo.

GREAT!! Let me know how it works for you and give us some tips on where to go in CC when you get back!!