Waterproof camera for Iceland and Homelands?

Vikingfan#1

I've read that it's rainy and windy in Iceland and Scandinavia. For those that have been, do I need a waterproof camera? ?

Probably easier/cheaper to get a covering for the device. On the one very rainy day that we had, I just used the Viking umbrella to stay dry.

If you are looking for a cover, there was already a discussion about it--and I can't remember which thread. But the upshot was that she found a $12 baggie for her smartphone on Amazon. Looked something like this. Search for camera waterproof bag.

512KNhGIltL._AC_US218_.jpg

Probably easier/cheaper to get a covering for the device. On the one very rainy day that we had, I just used the Viking umbrella to stay dry.

If you are looking for a cover, there was already a discussion about it--and I can't remember which thread. But the upshot was that she found a $12 baggie for her smartphone on Amazon. Looked something like this. Search for camera waterproof bag.

512KNhGIltL._AC_US218_.jpg

Thank you!

Thanks! Great news--I don't really want to buy another camera.

If you do decide to buy a baggie for your camera, keep in mind that it may affect the picture quality and possibly some of the camera functions (like autofocus and zoom). Experiment with it before you go so you know what to expect.

I would definitely advise it for Iceland--it was so windy and rainy that I could barely get a photo before my lens got splashed! Also, if you go to the Blue Lagoon, you can get a waterproof cell phone cover to bring it in with you while you swim.

I would definitely advise it for Iceland--it was so windy and rainy that I could barely get a photo before my lens got splashed! Also, if you go to the Blue Lagoon, you can get a waterproof cell phone cover to bring it in with you while you swim.

Softcastle, Iceland has been my biggest concern; thanks for the response. We are going to the Blue Lagoon. Have you been recently? Will they allow me to wear water shoes or flip flops?--not sure if to pack them. Is there privacy in changing clothes and showering?

Softcastle, Iceland has been my biggest concern; thanks for the response. We are going to the Blue Lagoon. Have you been recently? Will they allow me to wear water shoes or flip flops?--not sure if to pack them. Is there privacy in changing clothes and showering?

Someone on the June 17 out of Bergen was just there and is now on board. Try asking either on the roll call or on the live thread that editor@cruisecritc.com started.

I brought our real camera and the water camera both. I was happy to have the water camera and did use it on our Viking Homelands cruise, not in every port but I did use it.

Thanks for responding. What kind of water camera do you have? Do water cameras make as good a picture of non-water scenes vs. regular cameras?

I was just there May 28-31 on the Viking extension after our Homelands cruise. It was in the mid-40s and very windy/rainy, so definitely bring some sort of water resistant outer garment.

As for the Blue Lagoon, yes, you can bring flip flops or water shoes in. The floor is flat though so don't worry too much about your feet getting cut up-it's certainly not like the Blue Lagoon in Malta! In regards to privacy, no, there isn't a great deal of it. You will be sent to a locker room of your gender, where you will get a wristband and a locker. It is one big room, and that's where everyone is expected to change. There are only a couple of restrooms, and they're mostly taken by people actually using the toilet. You will also have to shower: there are several communal showers where you must take your suit off (still in your gender's locker room), and about 6-8 private stalls. This is what I opted for, because I'm a shy American Then you can walk downstairs and swim in the Lagoon. I recommend using the mud they provide in the Lagoon for a face mask, it was a really fun experience! Also, folks with longer hair, do not get it wet in the water, the silica will dry it like CRAZY!

I was just there May 28-31 on the Viking extension after our Homelands cruise. It was in the mid-40s and very windy/rainy, so definitely bring some sort of water resistant outer garment.

As for the Blue Lagoon, yes, you can bring flip flops or water shoes in. The floor is flat though so don't worry too much about your feet getting cut up-it's certainly not like the Blue Lagoon in Malta! In regards to privacy, no, there isn't a great deal of it. You will be sent to a locker room of your gender, where you will get a wristband and a locker. It is one big room, and that's where everyone is expected to change. There are only a couple of restrooms, and they're mostly taken by people actually using the toilet. You will also have to shower: there are several communal showers where you must take your suit off (still in your gender's locker room), and about 6-8 private stalls. This is what I opted for, because I'm a shy American �� Then you can walk downstairs and swim in the Lagoon. I recommend using the mud they provide in the Lagoon for a face mask, it was a really fun experience! Also, folks with longer hair, do not get it wet in the water, the silica will dry it like CRAZY!

Wow. I'm an extremely shy American!! Can I wear my bathing suit under my clothes, leave the clothes in the locker and shower in a private stall, taking the suit off? The idea of walking naked from the locker room to the shower causes me great anxiety!!

Thanks for responding. What kind of water camera do you have? Do water cameras make as good a picture of non-water scenes vs. regular cameras?

We have an Olympus Tough. It takes better land pictures than it does underwater. My "real" camera takes better pictures. My attitude was that I wouldn't want to risk ruining my good camera and not having it for the rest of the trip so a picture off my water is better than none. It isn't that big of a difference. I really think all that I miss on my water camera is the good zoom that I have on my real camera. We go to Cozumel every January so we already had the water camera. It is a few years old. Perhaps the newer ones have improved.

Wow. I'm an extremely shy American!! Can I wear my bathing suit under my clothes, leave the clothes in the locker and shower in a private stall, taking the suit off? The idea of walking naked from the locker room to the shower causes me great anxiety!!

Yikes, I agree with you on this one! I would do everything I could think of not to be naked.