Dropped DSLR, pictures blurry

I dropped my Nikon DSLR in Grand Turk. The camera seemed fine until I got the photos printed. All the ones after the drop came out blurry.

I am wondering if I need a new lens or need to replace the entire camera. Does anyone have insight on what part of the camera is causing the problem and what I need to do? I don't want to send it in and wait for repair, and I'd rather spend the money on new equipment than repairs.

Since a DSLR relies on light reflected off the mirror to a focus sensor module, it's likely that the module or mirror was knocked out of adjustment by the impact. The effect of this would be the camera thinking that focus was good but adjusting the lens a little short or long from true focus.

Try shooting some shots using manual focus and live view to see if they are sharp. If that is the case, it may be worth sending it in for adjustment (assuming nothing is broken).

Dave

I would put on a second lens and take some pictures with it. This will show whether the lens that's damaged or the camera body.

Do this 1st. Go to a camera store if you don't have a second lens and they should help you.

If it hit on the lens it can cause a internal cam to get out of align. I've had that happen.

framer

Given the image wasn't blurry in viewfinder, my thought was either the mirror or sensor was knocked out of alignment or slightly loose (which means the shutter would make them vibrate).

The lens test is a good idea, but I strongly suspect you are looking at a repair scenario.

Send the whole thing in for repair. I know you said you don't want to do that, but it's the right thing to do. We can give you tons of suggestions to help you find the primary problem(s), but only the manufacturer can tell you if all systems are still good. If it needs repair but said repair wouldn't be economically feasible, they'll probably offer you a nice deal on something refurbished.