Regarding Tromso

I think all three of those are very different.

In Flåm, you won't really have the sweeping vistas from above, because the fjord valley is narrow and twisting, and the train is doing switchbacks along the side, so you don't see very far from the higher points on the train track. If you're doing the roundtrip via ferry to/from Gudvangen, you'd have a more traditional fjord view from the bus above Gudvangen. Somewhat similar to Geiranger, but different from Bergen and Tromsø which are less fjord-like and more wide urban waterfront areas.

This is a photo from Myrdal, the topmost station of the Flåmsbana. We could see a rainbow, but you can't see very far down into the valley.

IMG_4503.jpg

Even once you're very close to the bottom, you can't really see very far because the valley is so narrow. This is quite close to the bottom, where you can see the town, but as you can see, you never get a view of the waterfront. This is easier to understand if you look at a map, since the valley takes a sharp turn at the very end, right before the water.

IMG_4543.jpg

Bergen adn Tromsø are more similar, but in Tromsø, you're much higher. I personally think it's a more dramatic view, and if you had to cut one, I'd cut Bergen (both for this reason and because there's so much to do in Bergen already).

These are the view from the top of the Fløibanen in Bergen. Somewhere I pictures from a clearer day, but I don't think I've uploaded them.

IMG_8495.jpgIMG_8486.jpg

Personally, my favorite "views from above" are Tromsø for blend of urban areas and waterfront nestled right up against the towering mountains and Geiranger for the iconic sweeping fjord views and the amazing contrast between how the fjord looks at water level compared to how it looks from above.

Thank you so much. This helps a LOT. So yes, Tromo aerial is most certainly back on the table. And with Bergen having so many ships in port the day that we are there AND the fact that I keep hearing about long waits and crowds in at the funicular, this definitely helps. And yes, Bergen has lots to do, so all is good. Again, many thanks.

• 1 month later...

Just a small note from a native Norwegian born, raised and still living in Tromso (actually a town with 70.000 inhabitants, and not 63.500 as mentioned in another post):

When I have visitors who have never been to Tromso before, there are three different places I choose to show them:

1. The cable car up on the Storsteinen Mountain

2. The Polar Museum

3. Ølhallen (the brewery pub)

And then, if we have time:

4. A walk along the "quais" along the seaside downtown - from the Polar Museum to Polaria

5. Botanical Garden

Regarding the churches in town, personally I find the two wooden churches situated in the city center (both build in 1861) more beautiful than the Arctic Cathedral (a very modern, and "different" church built in 1965).

Here is the Tromso Cathedral (Tromsø Domkirke) - the only cathedral in Norway made of wood:

800px-TromsoDomkirkeFraRWithsPlass.JPG

And here is the Catholic Church:

952591_h48591530b1938d6414a8_v1246569092_647x.jpeg

Edited by TrumpyNor

Just a small note from a native Norwegian born, raised and still living in Tromso (actually a town with 70.000 inhabitants, and not 63.500 as mentioned in another post)

Appreciate this update on Tromsø's population and the added pictures, especially of the churches. In checking this morning, Wikipedia says: "Tromsø is a city and municipality of 72,066 inhabitants in the county of Troms in Northern Norway. It is the largest urban area in Northern Norway and the second largest north of the Arctic Circle in Sápmi (following Murmansk)."

They also noted: "The city centre of Tromsø contains the highest number of old wooden houses in Northern Norway, the oldest house dating from 1789." Fortunately, Tromsø did not have the fire problems that affected Alesund and some other charming Norway towns in their history.

Good to know that Tromsø's population is growing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,522 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

They also noted: "The city centre of Tromsø contains the highest number of old wooden houses in Northern Norway, the oldest house dating from 1789." Fortunately, Tromsø did not have the fire problems that affected Alesund and some other charming Norway towns in their history.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Unfortunately the Wikipedia is a little wrong regarding fires, we actually have had several fires in down town Tromsø, that ruined most of the old, historical warehouses that was lined along the seaside of the city center. That is the reason why Tromsø today looks like a town with a very large mix of new and old buildings placed next to each other. The last fire (and also the largest one) took place in May 1969, here is a link to photos from that sad moment in Tromsø's history, plus some older photos from previous city fires:

Here is the oldest house in Tromsø, from 1789 - it is actually situated just a few feet from the Polar Museum:

4018?width=600&height=380

Edited by TrumpyNor

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This was a very interesting thread, and has helped a lot, but what is the recommended #1 place to see if you don't like high places, no cable car for me. We will be there in late June.

Cyndi

The city center is quite small and easily walkable. Polaria is only a few blocks from the Ølhallen pub. They pretty much mark one end of the sights in the city center, and the Polarmuseet and bridge to the Arctic Cathedral mark the other. It's about 1km between them, so it takes 15-20 minutes to walk between them.

The bridge across to the Arctic Cathedral is deceptively long, so it actually takes about 15-20 minutes to walk from one side to the other. And from there it's another 10-15 minutes over to the Fjellheisen cable car.

My first visit to Tromsø was on a port call, so we walked through the city center past the Domkirke and over the bridge to the Arctic Cathedral. Then we walked over to the Fjellheisen and spent about an hour walking farther up the mountain to a higher viewpoint and back. To save time, we caught a city bus back to the city center, where we did the original Mack brewery tour (this was back before the brewery moved out of its downtown location next to Ølhallen, and the tour ran daily at 13:00) and finished the day at Polaria for the seal feeding. I went to the Polarmuseet on a more recent trip, and it's interesting if Arctic life and exploration appeal to you.

Thank you, brilliant post. We are in Tromso in June this year. From reading this we will look to maybe take the litte train, visit the Polaria, then take a local bus from the cruise terminal (centre of town, I have checked) to the viewpoint, particularly if it is a clear day, and then back via the Catherdral. We are in Tromos from 8.00am to 17.00 on a Sunday. Is this realistic?

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you TLCOhio and Kaisatsu, It sounds like Tromso will be more about taking the day as it comes. I'll probably make a priority list and focus just on a couple of things instead of trying to take in more. What would be your personal number one most favorite thing to do in Tromso?

Cathy

I'm not sure if you will read this post but I thought I would try. I am cruising to Tromso in August and going through the same dilemma that you did. So...I was wondering...have you completed your cruise? What did you end up doing in Tromso and how did the logistics work out? I hope to hear from you!