Disney Dream August 26 - TROPICAL STORM ??!!!

mrscutecuban

Hello my fellow CCers,

Im sitting on the edge of my seat trying to figure out WTH this pesky little disturbance that might turn into a tropical storm/ hurricane with its bullseye on the bahamas means for our cruise..anyone have any insight on what the possible scenarios are ? I mean I know they would never sail into a disturbance but given that it is only a 4 day cruise does anyone know what alternate ports it would visit if this indeed does develop further as the current predictions are modeling ? :eek::(:mad:

Hello my fellow CCers,

Im sitting on the edge of my seat trying to figure out WTH this pesky little disturbance that might turn into a tropical storm/ hurricane with its bullseye on the bahamas means for our cruise..anyone have any insight on what the possible scenarios are ? I mean I know they would never sail into a disturbance but given that it is only a 4 day cruise does anyone know what alternate ports it would visit if this indeed does develop further as the current predictions are modeling ? :eek::(:mad:

They don't always just change ports (port schedules and costs can make this difficult). Most times, if a port is missed, it's turned into a sea day, with added activities/entertainment onboard.

It is too early to try to guess at this point.

If they can they will try to make Castaway if possible, and it could be sea days before/after. The only other ports that are within reach apart from Nassau, are Key West, and Freeport, and Freeport is very unlikely.

Worst case, it could end in all sea days and a cruise north and back.

Here's hoping it amounts to nothing and your cruise proceeds as planned! :)

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Thanks for the insight guys..Im really hoping this fizzles out cause I was soon looking to my umbrella drink on a sandy beach ! In case this does turn into just a cruise to nowhere scenario does anyone know if we will be reimbursed or credited anything back ?

Thanks for the insight guys..Im really hoping this fizzles out cause I was soon looking to my umbrella drink on a sandy beach ! In case this does turn into just a cruise to nowhere scenario does anyone know if we will be reimbursed or credited anything back ?

Well, your port fees and taxes for any ports missed will be refunded. Any DCL excursions you may have booked in those ports will not be charged to your account. Any excursion/activities you've booked interdependently, you'll have to find out their refund policy.

If you read the cruise contract, which you agreed to when booking the cruise, you'll see that you're not guaranteed to port in any port, or, indeed, to even leave the embarkation port, so I don't know that they'd "reimburse" anything.

You're still going to be enjoying entertainment/food/activities onboard the ship.

As above, port taxes, DCL booked excursions would be refunded.

Anything more than that would be DCL going above and beyond, as they have no more control over the weather than you or I.

There is no reason they should financially lose because of the weather, unless they chose to do so as a goodwill gesture. All stated in the T's and C's you agreed to when booking the cruise.

Weather disruptions are all part of cruising I'm afraid and at your risk.

ex techie

Thanks for the info everyone. We're on this cruise and have been wondering how DCL handles situations like this. We sailed directly through Hurricane Sandy on RC on our way to Bermuda (yes, we were THAT ship that Jim Cantore talked about on the news...LOL)...so we know what it's like to be in a storm, just can't imagine that DCL will do that. All sea days is not a bad thing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DCL will most likely have to apply for a special dispensation to cruise if they know they will not make any island visits, due to the PVSA.

Shoreside will be monitoring the situation very closely, as will the Captain of the Dream, and I am sure many ship to shore conference calls are being made to prepare for the worst case scenario, and every other option they may have.

Hope you both get the cruise you booked and want.

ex techie

Based on my read of the terms and conditions, it is possible to get a full refund if a hurricane warning is issued prior to departure. Is that correct?

We are all watching the weather very closely. I think we are inclined to just go elsewhere in Florida if it is possible to get a refund. TIA.

Based on my read of the terms and conditions, it is possible to get a full refund if a hurricane warning is issued prior to departure. Is that correct?

We are all watching the weather very closely. I think we are inclined to just go elsewhere in Florida if it is possible to get a refund. TIA.

The only way any of the Lines give a refund is if the cruise is cancelled. Right now this is only a invest (99), and if is very possible it may never get to reach hurricane strength.

DCL is very good at watching the weather and diverting and changing ports or arrangement.

AKK

No I get it about the terms and conditions..this isn't my first cruise # 12 to be exact BUT the first one that I've faced with this kind of situation..I guess the cruise gods were smiling before ?? ;)

Regardless if I'm going to do a cruise to nowhere I cant imagine a better ship to do it on I guess..I went ahead and booked Spa treatments for both days:D. Anyone been on the dream before and have any insight on what other type of activities they would provide ? This is our first time on DCL. TIA

We won't miss anything at all if the ship skips Nassau. Missing Castaway would be a shame but if it's 4 straight sea days, that's great for me. I love the ship.

Ditto on Nassau been there so many times with nothing to do so not bummed at all but I was also looking forward to Castaway!! Have you been on DCL dream before ? any tips this is our first time on DCL. TIA :)

Hey Techie' date='

There should be no problem regarding no port visit, as safety of the vessel and people on board always trumps the PVSA.

AKK[/quote']

Good to know Skipper. I was thinking if they left PC knowing they would not be able to dock anywhere and if that would change things as a posed to sailing then finding they couldn't.

I'm sure you're right! :)

ex techie

No I get it about the terms and conditions..this isn't my first cruise # 12 to be exact BUT the first one that I've faced with this kind of situation..I guess the cruise gods were smiling before ?? ;)

Regardless if I'm going to do a cruise to nowhere I cant imagine a better ship to do it on I guess..I went ahead and booked Spa treatments for both days:D. Anyone been on the dream before and have any insight on what other type of activities they would provide ? This is our first time on DCL. TIA

I didn't realize you could book spa time before the cruise started--can you explain how/where? (This is our first cruise.)

I didn't realize you could book spa time before the cruise started--can you explain how/where? (This is our first cruise.)

under your reservation in my cruise activities BUT unfortunately the cut off to book activities etc etc for this cruise was yesterday @ midnight..sorry :(

With any cruise once you've made your final payment and you are certain a number days out for the cruise you can pre book spa appts, excursions and activities.

the thought of sitting in P/C due to a storm and not getting out into the sea would be a total nightmare massive disappointment and i would feel totally riped off.

if i did not get a full refund regardless of terms and conditions, who plans to book a holiday and pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to sit idle and disney not making a profit does not make a hoot to me ...but that seldom happens so lets not worry

the thought of sitting in P/C due to a storm and not getting out into the sea would be a total nightmare massive disappointment and i would feel totally riped off.

if i did not get a full refund regardless of terms and conditions, who plans to book a holiday and pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars to sit idle and disney not making a profit does not make a hoot to me ...but that seldom happens so lets not worry

I am on this sailing as well and it will be my first Disney cruise. However, we are sailing in peak hurricane season. This is the risk that we all take booking during this period.

If they cancel the cruise (which they won't), I'm sure a full refund would be in order. But if you are on the boat and enjoying the amenities, expecting a full refund will lead to disappointment.

Worst case is a cruise to no where. The ship will sail out of PC and go somewhere away from the storm.

Don't worry about missing Nassau, there is nothing there realy worth the cost. Frankly it is a useless port call.

I would be sad about missing Castaway Cay but would still enjoy the ship amenities.

We sailed last week and so hurricanes were on my mind. I am curious how private insurance companies would handle this if there was a hurricane warning? Just wondering for the sake of wondering. We don't buy cruise line insurance and go through private companies. Does that change whether or not you have a choice to fly into a hurricane warning area and proceed with vacation?