What proof are you taking on board for the military OBS

the english lady

Yes I agree it is open to abuse. I have seen posts on the cruise pages on Facebook where civilians that worked for the MOD saying they have got the OBC. Of course they are then telling more people to do the same. They should stick to what they say and check the proof onboard otherwise remove the OBC if it can't be provided.

You do have to provide proof of service for the defence privilege card but not for the blue light card ( where you can get 5% discount if you book direct) that lots of people get.

Hi amajaa,

There are other forums on the Internet for research but I find this is one of the best, especially useful for destinations and looking at excursions. The search facility is very good as well. Many cruisers use the Roll Call section also where you can meet people on the same cruise, I've used this in the past and joined independent excursions with others.

Enjoy your first cruise I'm sure it won't be your last. :)

Hi amajaa,

There are other forums on the Internet for research but I find this is one of the best, especially useful for destinations and looking at excursions. The search facility is very good as well. Many cruisers use the Roll Call section also where you can meet people on the same cruise, I've used this in the past and joined independent excursions with others.

Enjoy your first cruise I'm sure it won't be your last. :)

Thanks but it's not our first cruise we have already done ten with two more booked.

I was just saying that on one of the Facebook pages people were giving others the impression you can get the OBC if you are a civvy for the MOD, when in fact you aren't supposed to.

Thanks but it's not our first cruise we have already done ten with two more booked.

I was just saying that on one of the Facebook pages people were giving others the impression you can get the OBC if you are a civvy for the MOD, when in fact you aren't supposed to.

Sorry amajaa,

I meant to quote Doughty's comment from above but linked onto the wrong quote. Being a touch blond tonight.

:rolleyes:

This is news to me ! probably because I have only just found this site :-) I have sailed two cruises with my father who served in RN on minesweepers in WW2, trying to follow the thread it seems he would have been able on those two cruises and our next to get onboard spending. He has his service history at home would copies of this suffice or should he apply for the card ?

I served with P&O in the 60's on SS Chusan they dont give us ex crew anything as far as I know , or does anyone know any different

Many thanks

Edited by Lammergeier

If you booked through P&O contact them if it was a Travel Agent let them know that you wish to apply for MOBC. Take some proof of service with you. I would suggest just photocopy discharge certificate or document. If it's one of the small books take it with you. I personally wouldn't bother with the card as they have stated via mail to earlier members that the cards would no longer be valid going forward. Good luck, hope your Dad gets this as He definitely qualifies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by PopsiB

Hi ref your father, yes if he takes his service history, or copy of, that would certainly be ok.

For you if you do not have any proof, earlier in this thread it has a form you can download, complete that, and whatever they send you, produce that on board.

You would need to contact Pand O in both cases though, to get them to input the code they have to input now for the obs. They do that, and you provide the proof when on board.

I guess if people cannot provide proof on board, it would be a very simple matter to take back the OBS.

Thank you very much for the information and to Cruise Critic, without whom we would not have obtained our fathers £50 MOBC and also for my extra OBC. I served in MN and as long as I show my discharge book my wife and self get extra too.....All we need to do is show this proof at Reception when we board.

I was also informed that as I was in the Ambulance Service for 30 years I could obtain a code from NHS... HR which may or may not be allowed for extra OBC. I think though this would apply as a % off when making a booking booking.

Will see what I can find out from NHS :-)

Thank you very much for the information and to Cruise Critic, without whom we would not have obtained our fathers £50 MOBC and also for my extra OBC. I served in MN and as long as I show my discharge book my wife and self get extra too.....All we need to do is show this proof at Reception when we board.

I was also informed that as I was in the Ambulance Service for 30 years I could obtain a code from NHS... HR which may or may not be allowed for extra OBC. I think though this would apply as a % off when making a booking booking.

Will see what I can find out from NHS :-)

Pleased you got that for Dad and yourselves. I think the Blue Card is the name of the NHS card and this gets you 5% off when first booking your cruise. Only worked for them for about 7 years on and off as we moved with postings in the RAF so I don't think I qualify for that card. Hope you get that as well. :)

No luck with the Blue Light Card :( , they are not accepting retired Ambulance staff or other ex blue light staff from what I gather, but are looking to redress that and are discussing at their quarterly meetings and extending to "more membership in the future"

So if you are currently " IN SERVICE " with Police, Fire or Ambulance you could get that 5% off when booking if you join the Blue Light Card.

No luck with the Blue Light Card :( , they are not accepting retired Ambulance staff or other ex blue light staff from what I gather, but are looking to redress that and are discussing at their quarterly meetings and extending to "more membership in the future"

So if you are currently " IN SERVICE " with Police, Fire or Ambulance you could get that 5% off when booking if you join the Blue Light Card.

That's good to know, I hope Andy Carter has applied for one before he retires whilst on board with us.

Thank you so much for this thread! I have just contacted P&O and they have added a further £75 MOBC to our account for my husband's service, I would never have known about it if I'd not read it here!

They asked for him to bring his red discharge book as proof, they said we may be required to show it or may not, we'll see.

Thanks again *chuffed* :D

Further to my last posting, the Blue Light Card is also available to members of .....RNLI, Coastguard, Prison Service, NHS, Armed Forces and Veterans plus many others see website for more .?.http://www.bluelightcard.co.uk :)

So let me get this straight - I can get a bluelight card as a veteran of the Royal Navy and get 5% off a booking ( full fare I presume) and get an OBC as well? ( I should have OBC with my next cruise asked for it and taking my discharge paper as proof). I need to show this when we book in or at reception on-board?

Q. Do you offer military benefits?

Yes, military benefits are applicable to UK citizens only.

We are pleased to offer on board spending money to:

retired and disabled veterans

serving military

for the following service divisions:

British Army

Royal Navy

Royal Air Force

Reserves

Royal Marines

for bookings made from the 15 May 2014 when booking a P&O Cruises Select or Early Saver Fare.**

Please make sure you take the below with you on board your cruise:

Identification for serving personnel official military ID card

Proof of service issued by the MOD for retired personnel (MOD will issue retired personnel with discharge papers which is fine for you to take as a form of ID)

The amount of on board spending money per person, is applicable for the 1st and 2nd passengers only and depends on the duration of the cruise:

2- 6 nights - £15 per person

7-13 nights - £30 per person

14-21 nights - £75 per person

22 nights + (including world cruise) - £125 per person

Please note the latest this benefit can be applied is 7 days before departure and it is not possible to apply the Military benefit once you are on board.

So let me get this straight - I can get a bluelight card as a veteran of the Royal Navy and get 5% off a booking ( full fare I presume) and get an OBC as well? ( I should have OBC with my next cruise asked for it and taking my discharge paper as proof). I need to show this when we book in or at reception on-board?

I was told by P&O that I could no claim for being an RAF veteran i.e. OBS and the 5% discount being former NHS (25 years) I decided just to have the 5%.

Are folks getting both, would be really interested if they are.

Thanks