Celebrity Summit JVD excursion

LOWTYD

Posted on Celebrity forum also.

Forgive me but I did a search and could only find info from several years ago. We are going on the Summit in October and they offer a ship excursion to JVD from Tortola. We looked into private charters but don't have enough people to fill a boat so we are looking at other options.

Has anyone done this 4 1/2 hour excursion and what are your thoughts? My questions are as follows:

1) What time do you leave the dock

2) How long does it take to get to White Bay?

3) Where do they drop you off?

4) How long to you get to stay?

Ship is in port from 8 to 5. I was wondering why it was only a 4 1/2 hour excursion. Is that enough time to enjoy yourself? I assume that includes travel time.

The last Ferry leaves JVD at 2 but it seemed like a pain in the butt to have to taxi to the ferry then taxi to the Soggy Dollar the do it in reverse to get back.

Thank you for any information you can offer.

We haven't taken the excursion but I think you're right that the 4.5 hrs is the total excursion time with travel since that's always the case. So if the description includes a ferry and a taxi you'll be ferrying into Great Harbor and spending a good 1.5 - 2 hrs traveling. That doesn't leave enough time to enjoy White Bay, at least for us. Actually you'd like to have at least 6 hrs there to experience just White Bay and that's just not doable on a typical cruise stop in Road Town. I don't know how long you are in port but if long enough and the ferry schedule works you may want to take the ferry on your own.

The water taxi option from CGB is difficult for a cruise passenger. I'm not sure if Mitch still operates a boat? Julian is another name I've been given while staying on Tortola but we never contacted him, my understanding is he only operates his boat during high season. Glenn at the Watersports is the one constant there, not our favorite and I certainly can't guarantee it, but he may have a driver available to run you over and return for you if you call ahead. You should be able to find a phone# by googling Cane Garden Bay Watersports or something similar.

Let me know if you try.

We haven't taken the excursion but I think you're right that the 4.5 hrs is the total excursion time with travel since that's always the case. So if the description includes a ferry and a taxi you'll be ferrying into Great Harbor and spending a good 1.5 - 2 hrs traveling. That doesn't leave enough time to enjoy White Bay, at least for us. Actually you'd like to have at least 6 hrs there to experience just White Bay and that's just not doable on a typical cruise stop in Road Town. I don't know how long you are in port but if long enough and the ferry schedule works you may want to take the ferry on your own.

The water taxi option from CGB is difficult for a cruise passenger. I'm not sure if Mitch still operates a boat? Julian is another name I've been given while staying on Tortola but we never contacted him, my understanding is he only operates his boat during high season. Glenn at the Watersports is the one constant there, not our favorite and I certainly can't guarantee it, but he may have a driver available to run you over and return for you if you call ahead. You should be able to find a phone# by googling Cane Garden Bay Watersports or something similar.

Let me know if you try.

Thanks for the reply. You would think there would be more operators to take people to the more popular destinations. It seems so hard to find a passage to JVD without enough time or paying through the nose. I will keep looking and see what I can come up with. I will post again if I find something.

Yes Jost is popular (read easy) with folks who are staying in the islands (BVI or VI) and can take a full-day boat trip from Tortola or STT, and also with folks staying on Tortola who have the time to take the ferry or hook up with Glenn or Julian the day before or that day. But that's also the beauty of Tortola, not overly-developed with big outfits making that run everyday. Jost gets crowded enough as it is, unfortunately.

How long are you in port?

Good luck!

Posted on Celebrity forum also.

Forgive me but I did a search and could only find info from several years ago. We are going on the Summit in October and they offer a ship excursion to JVD from Tortola. We looked into private charters but don't have enough people to fill a boat so we are looking at other options.

Has anyone done this 4 1/2 hour excursion and what are your thoughts? My questions are as follows:

1) What time do you leave the dock

2) How long does it take to get to White Bay?

3) Where do they drop you off?

4) How long to you get to stay?

Ship is in port from 8 to 5. I was wondering why it was only a 4 1/2 hour excursion. Is that enough time to enjoy yourself? I assume that includes travel time.

The last Ferry leaves JVD at 2 but it seemed like a pain in the butt to have to taxi to the ferry then taxi to the Soggy Dollar the do it in reverse to get back.

Thank you for any information you can offer.

I just read the description of this tour.

We have done this same tour on another line.

The tour will leave right from where the ship is docked and take about 45 minutes to cruise the Sir Francis Drake channel around the west end of Tortola and over to Jost. You will have a wet landing in White Bay right near the Soggy Dollar. The landing could be in as little as 18 inches of water or as much as 15 feet with a nice swim into the beach. This will give you about 3 hours of beach and drinking time. The ride back is also about 45 minutes. It can be bouncy on the ride over and back so if you tend to feel the motion in the ocean don't forget to take your Bonine before you leave the ship.

This will allow ample time to explore White Bay, snorkel and drink plenty of pain killers. Not enough time to go to Great Bay to visit Foxy's, but a nice excursion.

That's probably better than the taxi/ferry/taxi I thought you were looking at. Be sure to see if Seddy is at his One Love Bar, we like his BUshwacker better than the Painkiller but they both work, and take the time to stroll to Ivan's Stress Free Bar too!

Yes Jost is popular (read easy) with folks who are staying in the islands (BVI or VI) and can take a full-day boat trip from Tortola or STT, and also with folks staying on Tortola who have the time to take the ferry or hook up with Glenn or Julian the day before or that day. But that's also the beauty of Tortola, not overly-developed with big outfits making that run everyday. Jost gets crowded enough as it is, unfortunately.

How long are you in port?

Good luck!

I think it's 8 to 5. I did a private charter with 22 people from our roll once with BVI360 about 5 years ago and it was very good, even knowing they are not the most reliable company by the reviews, but our back up plan was the ferry. We don't wish to snorkel, just have a nice boat ride and hang out on JVD and, if there is time, Wille T's. They built this new pier and when 2000-4000 people get off a ship, it would be nice to have a better choice to fit the needs of the customers. Can you tell I am having a bad day? LOL. I am sure we will find something.

LOL...:p

As a land visitor to Tortola my worst fear is exactly that - with the enlarged cruise ship capacity more excursion operators will pop up and the more secluded and quiet beaches of Tortola like Long Bay (Beef Island), Josiah's Bay, and Smuggler's Cove will be turned in to developed areas to accommodate the new-found cruise population. That would include excursions from RT to the outlying islands.

Joe at Patouche (dot com) offers a powerboat from Hodges Creek near RT and will take you to White Bay, Jost, and then to the Willie T off Norman Island. You'll have to check the price but that's one of the few opportunities you'll find that hits both the east and west sides of Tortola. the powerboat speed makes that possible. There are a couple private outfits out of Nanny Cay as well that can do this, hitting Sandy Spit, Jost, and Willie T. Of course you'd need a roll call group to defray your costs.

LOL...:p

As a land visitor to Tortola my worst fear is exactly that - with the enlarged cruise ship capacity more excursion operators will pop up and the more secluded and quiet beaches of Tortola like Long Bay (Beef Island), Josiah's Bay, and Smuggler's Cove will be turned in to developed areas to accommodate the new-found cruise population. That would include excursions from RT to the outlying islands.

Joe at Patouche (dot com) offers a powerboat from Hodges Creek near RT and will take you to White Bay, Jost, and then to the Willie T off Norman Island. You'll have to check the price but that's one of the few opportunities you'll find that hits both the east and west sides of Tortola. the powerboat speed makes that possible. There are a couple private outfits out of Nanny Cay as well that can do this, hitting Sandy Spit, Jost, and Willie T. Of course you'd need a roll call group to defray your costs.

I think we quote Patouche and someone else for the 10-12 count. I did get a quote form TRC for 6 people with captain and it was $660 total. Still over $100 each. I still have a few months to figure this out. I really hope some one who actually did the Celebrity excursion chimes in. I know they are all pretty much the same, but I just need that confirmation. I have no idea the last time an X ship was event here! LOL. It could have been the last repo! :D

I know what you mean when you are on a land based vacation and suddenly a hoard of people showed up. We were in BDA last August and it was great. Suddenly the Breakaway and Summit came in the same day. And they stay for 2 more! LOL. You could definitely tell the difference.

Yes hopefully someone who actually did this can give you some feedback. I know the major operators are within $10 - 15 of one another and have to be to be competitive so it usually comes down to which interests you more...

Good luck!