Carnival Victory

KappaLady

Hello, everyone! I will be attending my first cruise on Victory in a few months. As of now, I have a Deck 6 balcony. I've spent the past couple of months reading reviews and tips. I've received good tips but have read many bad reviews of Victory and its cruisers. Should I heed the reviews or take them with a grain of salt? Does anyone have any experience with this ship?

Yes, I've already heard "your cruise is what you make of it." TIA!

~Laissez les bons temps rouler!~

My wife and I spent our honeymoon on Victory in the Southern Caribbean. It may be nostalgia, but we loved her! Since then, we have growon to love the bigger ships, Breeze is our favorite, but we always get excited to see Victory sharing a port. Victory was the only ship on which we booked a balcony stateroom, and loved it. You are going to have a great time! All ships, cruises, ports, passengers have their positives and their negatives, just enjoy the trip :)

Victory was our first cruise, 4 day out of poet Canaveral. We liked the ship a lot. She is older, but still enjoyed all it had. It was tricky to find the dining room the first nite. The cords counter and deli were some of our favorites. D's loved the milkshakes.

What I personally do is that I take the overly negative AS WELL as the overly positive reviews and weed them out. Both of these type of reviews are not a good indicator of what the experience will truly be like and will only set up unrealistic expectations. Also, when you read reviews, look for recurring things that people liked or disliked. Chances are that if many cruisers are mentioning one thing in particular, it's an accurate observation.

About the Victory in particular, I haven't personally sailed on her so I can't tell you about the ship, but I have sailed her route a few times. I think it's a great opportunity to taste what cruising is about but do understand that it's a shorter, budget minded cruise which tends to attract a different kind of clientele.

A few months ago, I recommended Victory to one of my good friends who wanted to take her first cruise. After listening to her likes and dislikes as well as budget considerations, I thought that the Victory would be a match made in heaven for her. Long story short, she went on the cruise and enjoyed it, but said that passengers left a lot to be desired and their behavior took away from her enjoyment (she even texted me photos of people fighting during the muster drill [emoji85]). She said that unsavory behavior kept happening throughout the cruise, but that overall, she had an enjoyable time, met some great people, and would cruise again, just not on this type of itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have sailed on her twice. Once when she was brand spanking new and the second time, she was fourteen years old. Both times we enjoyed her very much.

Thank you for your input!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon on Victory in the Southern Caribbean. It may be nostalgia, but we loved her! Since then, we have growon to love the bigger ships, Breeze is our favorite, but we always get excited to see Victory sharing a port. Victory was the only ship on which we booked a balcony stateroom, and loved it. You are going to have a great time! All ships, cruises, ports, passengers have their positives and their negatives, just enjoy the trip :)

Thank you for sharing!

Victory was our first cruise, 4 day out of poet Canaveral. We liked the ship a lot. She is older, but still enjoyed all it had. It was tricky to find the dining room the first nite. The cords counter and deli were some of our favorites. D's loved the milkshakes.

I'll have to try the milkshakes! Thank you!

I've never been on the Victory, so this is more a general comment. When I read reviews about ships, I try and avoid the over the top comments (good or bad) or situations that were very specific to a cruiser. Like, my water didn't work in my cabin for 3 days. Yes, that would suck. But it's a one off that I'm not worried about.

What I pay attention to,are things people say that might matter to me. For example, if room temperature is a big deal to me and lots of people say the cabin I want is hot, it might influence my decision.

Some people look for things to complain about. Some people stand in a fire and say it's ok. All depends on you, so I say, go on the cruise, have a great time, and don't worry about the reviews you've read.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One thing I should have added though. Be on the lookout for those pesky sea horses at the end of the hand railings on the inside stairways. Their snouts stick out and if you turn too quickly, they attack your shins. :eek:

What I personally do is that I take the overly negative AS WELL as the overly positive reviews and weed them out. Both of these type of reviews are not a good indicator of what the experience will truly be like and will only set up unrealistic expectations. Also, when you read reviews, look for recurring things that people liked or disliked. Chances are that if many cruisers are mentioning one thing in particular, it's an accurate observation.

About the Victory in particular, I haven't personally sailed on her so I can't tell you about the ship, but I have sailed her route a few times. I think it's a great opportunity to taste what cruising is about but do understand that it's a shorter, budget minded cruise which tends to attract a different kind of clientele.

A few months ago, I recommended Victory to one of my good friends who wanted to take her first cruise. After listening to her likes and dislikes as well as budget considerations, I thought that the Victory would be a match made in heaven for her. Long story short, she went on the cruise and enjoyed it, but said that passengers left a lot to be desired and their behavior took away from her enjoyment (she even texted me photos of people fighting during the muster drill [emoji85]). She said that unsavory behavior kept happening throughout the cruise, but that overall, she had an enjoyable time, met some great people, and would cruise again, just not on this type of itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, your response covered everything! The most complaints I've read have been about the clientele and their behavior. Perhaps, the riffraff will be few and far between. Thank you for easing my anxiety . . . at least until a week before embarkation! [emoji4]