Whoo Hoo - After 24 Cruises - Taking My First Carnival :)

After 24 cruises I am finally taking my first Carnival. I leave Monday on the Inspiration 4 day Catalina Island and Ensenda with my Mom and My sister to Celebrate my recent (Big) birthday and for the ladies from Texas to join me out in CA and beat the heat.

I have actually been on the ship before, as I took a tour of it about two years ago but I would love some tips on what we might really enjoy, and what we need to go check out just to say what it was like.

We have been to Catalina Island before via the ferry, so we are not going to do anything specific their, maybe rent a kayak or SUP. In Ensenada we are going on the winery tour.

We have the beverage package already, and are looking forward to relaxing. Are there any theme nights or special events, karaoke, comedy, food shows that your can tell me about?

Are you doing the Casa Dona Lupe wine tour? We did that a couple months ago and loved it, what a special place she has there!

Enjoy, almost tried Carnival myself but went with Royal Caribbean for the first time instead.

Hope you enjoy it!!

Janice

Definitely try Guy Fieri's burgers. I'm not much of a burger person but these burgers are amazing. And since it's free you can add as much stuff to it as you want like double meat and cheese. And the sauce and toppings bar has some really unique flavors. :) There's always free soft serve ice cream (near drink dispensers) and fresh cooked pizza (at pizza place) 24-7 on the Lido deck.

The Alchemy bar is a new addition to Carnival that's a big hit. I love trying out new and unusual concoctions there and the place is always hopping.

And download the Carnival Hub app on your phone. I downloaded mine ahead of time with a good wifi. It's free and has an interactive ships map, a schedule of daily events, the ability to view your account, several reasonably priced internet plans to purchase, and for $5 (per cruise per device) you can text everyone in your party via the app. It's my all time favorite thing Carnival has come out with lately. Btw, the app doesn't really do much till you're in the cruise terminal. But it's definitely worth getting. No more walkie talkies or notes left in the room trying to keep up with each other.

I don't believe that Guys Burgers are on the Inspiration yet?

Wine tour is independent, but I believe it goes the same place as the Carnival tour. We are definitely getting an internet package so I can stay in touch with business.

Any other must do's on the Inspiration?

Would love to hear your opinion when you get back. 25 Royal cruises under my belt then tried Carnival Miracle which we really enjoyed. Royal No but we were not expecting that. Booked the Inspiration for a quick get away in August and know I am going down even more in ship size & style so curious.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yes, Guy's Burgers is on the Inspiration as is the Blue Iguana Cantina, which I liked even better than Guy's (and I liked Guy's a lot!).

The Punchliner Comedy Club can be "hit or miss" depending on the comic, but it's usually pretty good.

The Serenity Deck is definitely where you want to hang out, but the primo spots under the umbrellas can go fast. (Just don't be a chair hog there. :halo:)

If you have Anytime Dining, you may find long waits--we did on the Imagination last August.

Pizza is available 24/7 and Carnival probably has the best pizza I've had on any cruise line.

Finally, if one of the production shows is "Epic Rock", don't miss it. It's definitely the best cruiseship production show I've ever seen.

These short cruises out of Long Beach sometimes get trashed, but we had great fun last year. You will too as long as you know what to expect.

Yes, Guy's Burgers is on the Inspiration as is the Blue Iguana Cantina, which I liked even better than Guy's (and I liked Guy's a lot!).

The Punchliner Comedy Club can be "hit or miss" depending on the comic, but it's usually pretty good.

The Serenity Deck is definitely where you want to hang out, but the primo spots under the umbrellas can go fast. (Just don't be a chair hog there. :halo:)

If you have Anytime Dining, you may find long waits--we did on the Imagination last August.

Pizza is available 24/7 and Carnival probably has the best pizza I've had on any cruise line.

Finally, if one of the production shows is "Epic Rock", don't miss it. It's definitely the best cruiseship production show I've ever seen.

These short cruises out of Long Beach sometimes get trashed, but we had great fun last year. You will too as long as you know what to expect.

Thanks for the tips. I think Guys and Blue Iguana were added since I took the tour which I realize now was closer to two years ago. I'm excited to try those two venues. We have fiixed late seating dining. We figured that would be the most relaxing and the lease chaotic. I've heard that the 3 day cruise tends to be the crazy party and the 4 day is more retirees and families. I know going in its not the Ritz Carlton, but I am looking forward to 4 carefree days at see with my Mom and my Sister. You see from my signature that most of my recent cruises have been on Celebrity, but we've done Princess and Royal, and I've toured the Norwegian Jewel and had seated lunch. We just want to fun get away to Celebrate my turning 50 and this gets Mom and Sis away from the heat of Texas.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to report back that we had a wonderful time on our 4 day Carnival. We felt it was all about expectations. We chose to embrace the things that we knew Carnival was good at - we really enjoyed the Sing-A-Long piano bar, dinner conversation with our well traveled table mates, and my sister and even road the big water slide. We had the cheer package and really enjoyed the delicious custom made drinks at the Alchemy bar.

There were some negatives, but over all we knew what to expect and felt that the value was there and that this was a fun ladies get-a-way for my Mom, Sister and I to celebrate the big 50!

I just wanted to report back that we had a wonderful time on our 4 day Carnival. We felt it was all about expectations. We chose to embrace the things that we knew Carnival was good at - we really enjoyed the Sing-A-Long piano bar, dinner conversation with our well traveled table mates, and my sister and even road the big water slide. We had the cheer package and really enjoyed the delicious custom made drinks at the Alchemy bar.

There were some negatives, but over all we knew what to expect and felt that the value was there and that this was a fun ladies get-a-way for my Mom, Sister and I to celebrate the big 50!

Thanks for coming back and letting us know your thoughts!

Congratulations on your first Carnival cruise! What took you so long to jump ship (pun intended)? Yes, Inspiration has Guy's Burgers. You may find some things on this fact sheet about Inspiration's last dry dock that interest you.

https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1527

The comedy club is pretty popular with passengers.

It was all about the right cruise at the right time with the right people. I don't think that my husband would have necessarily enjoyed it, but my Mom wanted to treat my sister and I for my 50th b-day, and the West Coast sailing made it just the right weather and the right itinerary.

We missed the comedy show as we thought my Mom might not like it. She kind of a fogey when it comes to comedy - she doesn't get jokes and doesn't like R rated humor.

We enjoyed our table mates, but some of the other tables around us were a little rowdy, but hey that's what Carnival is all about - having fun with friends and family. On another ship with a different dining atmosphere their behavior would have been totally out of place.

We were so impressed with the friendliness of the crew and that we were greeted by name everywhere. I am a little sad that we missed the Sea Day brunch because my sister was reading the wrong day for the Funtimes.

It certainly wasn't the best cruise I have ever taken but the value and fun was great.

It was all about the right cruise at the right time with the right people. I don't think that my husband would have necessarily enjoyed it, but my Mom wanted to treat my sister and I for my 50th b-day, and the West Coast sailing made it just the right weather and the right itinerary.

We missed the comedy show as we thought my Mom might not like it. She kind of a fogey when it comes to comedy - she doesn't get jokes and doesn't like R rated humor.

We enjoyed our table mates, but some of the other tables around us were a little rowdy, but hey that's what Carnival is all about - having fun with friends and family. On another ship with a different dining atmosphere their behavior would have been totally out of place.

We were so impressed with the friendliness of the crew and that we were greeted by name everywhere. I am a little sad that we missed the Sea Day brunch because my sister was reading the wrong day for the Funtimes.

It certainly wasn't the best cruise I have ever taken but the value and fun was great.

I will say that no matter the line a 7 day cruise will have a different vibe than a 4 day cruise will have.

Yes, the short cruise may have a rowdy table. Our very first cruise we ended up at the rowdy table. We just went with the flow and enjoyed. Next time we sat with active military folks and enjoyed hearing of their experiences. Also have done tables for two. It's all about expectations and flexibility. If you are bothered too much, the matri'd will move you to another section and time if possible.

So glad you had a good trip!