Bike tours from river cruises

davwen81

We are on an AMA tulip cruise next April and notice they offer a few bike tours in certain towns. We are not regular bike riders but walk lots and can ride. Can someone give us a heads up whether these tours are rigorous or gentle with lots of stops? We thought they would let us see more of the countryside and town but we don't want to sign on for something that might be too difficult or uncomfortably long. Many thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can share my experience from our Danube cruise on the AmaLyra 4 years ago. We are active, trim, (late 50's) and walk almost every morning for 2-3 miles. We don't regularly ride bicycles, but thought we would be "fit enough" and it would be fun to ride through the Wachau Valley.

Our group was full, every available bike was used for our group ride. There was an AMA guide in the front, leading the way and another AMA staff person who "brought up the rear."

The ride wasn't too difficult, but it was much longer than I anticipated. I kept up pretty well for the first half of the ride, but towards the end, I dropped back and was probably one of the last ones in the group.

We rode along orchards and vineyards and would periodically see our ship, and those on board would wave to us. The scenery was really pretty in some areas. My only complaint, we did not get to stop and take photos. I am not coordinated enough to aim my camera and steer a bike simultaneously, so I missed getting photos.

It was so fun! Then the dark clouds appeared and it started pouring rain. We were soaked to the bone when we were done.

It's difficult to choose which excursions to do, because you will always "miss" something. I am glad we did the bike ride, but I will probably not do it again. For me it was a Carpe Diem moment. Checked off my bucket list.

Hope that's helpful for you.

• 4 weeks later...

We have cruised AMA twice and always do most of the bike tours and this is why we cruise AMA. We are also in our fifties but cycle at home regularly. We found the groups start rather slow for us until the guides can gauge how fit the group is & will often increase the pace based on the group. So, some of the tours were a mediocre pace but biking through the mountains in Germany could be quite rigorous. There is nothing like biking through the vineyards in Austria & Germany...so beautiful. If you are fit you should be fine with a bike tour. The bike tours did fill up quickly on our cruises so if you have any interest in a bike tour you can sign up and if you change your mind based on weather or another reason you can easily cancel. Have fun!