Acrylic Toenails?

cowprintrabbit

Does anyone have experience with acrylic toenails? Specifically whether you can still wear closed toe shoes for active excursions and exercise... I've seen women with them done before; but they always seem to be long like fingernails, which I can't imagine being comfortable!

I have damage on my two big toenails from running half marathons - I didn't care this winter since we live in Seattle but am starting to worry about them for our upcoming cruise. I was thinking of just getting the two big ones done; really short, and then getting a regular pedicure on top so everything would match.

Thoughts/personal experience?

I don't like long toe-nails.....either the feel of them or the look of them! I think freshly pedicured toe-nails are attractive...short nails, moreso! I wouldn't spend the money or risk damaging the nails you have....just paint 'em, and go!

I think freshly pedicured toe-nails are attractive...short nails, moreso! I wouldn't spend the money or risk damaging the nails you have....just paint 'em, and go!

That's the problem - they are missing :eek: I have nothing to paint at the moment (there is an oh so attractive space between where the old nail is growing out and where the new one grew in...)

Does anyone have experience with acrylic toenails? Specifically whether you can still wear closed toe shoes for active excursions and exercise... I've seen women with them done before; but they always seem to be long like fingernails, which I can't imagine being comfortable!

I have damage on my two big toenails from running half marathons - I didn't care this winter since we live in Seattle but am starting to worry about them for our upcoming cruise. I was thinking of just getting the two big ones done; really short, and then getting a regular pedicure on top so everything would match.

I was thinking about doint the same thing; although mine is only one toe and it's not the big one. And I agree; the long toenails are not my thing either.

Yes, I have had them on my big toe nails before without any problems. Make sure you go to a salon where the person has experience with this. And, as you said, keep them short.

The two times I had to do this they didn't look fake at all because they were not unusually long.

Eventually they will grow out as your new toe nail starts to grow and then it can be either filed or cut off.

Christine - if you aren't sailing until the end of May, they may have grown out enough by then. But yeah, you can get acrylic on just your big toes, just have them make them short and more naturally rounded. On another note, if you are losing your toenails from running you may need a bigger running shoe. I wear a six normally but buy size seven running shoes and have never lost a whole toenail after 11 halfs and one full marathon. I have gotten cracks occasionally about halfway down if I let my toenails get too long, but at least that grows out pretty quickly.

Oh my..... with such damage to your nails and them just growing out, you could do serious damage. JMO, but it really isn't a good idea to put acrylic or anything over them. If it bothers you so much for wearing an evening sandal, use a bandaid and complain of blisters.

If you really want acrylic, think about checking with a podiatrist.

Good luck.

How long does it take you guys' to grow out? I damaged my right one last June and it is about halfway grown out. The left one was just really bruised, but then a hole finally showed up at the cuticle a few weeks ago, so I guess it's going to go, too.

I already size up 1/2 size and get my shoes professionally fitted - I'm going to take back a pair tomorrow that are giving me blisters and I'll ask again.

I am a manicurist. You can put acrylic on the toes lots of women do. It will not damage them any more than it does your fingernails. It is suppose to take 5 months to grow your nails from the cuticle to the end of your finger or toe. That being said some people grow nails and hair faster than others. I have seen several runners with toe nail problems. As long as you go to a reputable salon and ask for someone with experience you should not have a problem and will have beautiful toenails for your cruise.

How about just doing a plain pedicure on the toes with good nails and getting a decorated bandaid for the damaged toes? That way you won't have to worry about infection, pain, etc.

I guess I'm too picky for that - I may be a tomboy, but I'm a girly one :o

As a teenager I used to paint my fingernails red so the grease wouldn't show when I worked on my car :rolleyes:

I'm not a nail professional but I taught myself how to put on my own acrylic nails. I've been doing them for almost 20 years. I do them because I've always had the worst nails ever. Acrylics were a life saver for me because I am also a girlie girl. Last year I finally decided I couldn't stand my toe nails any longer and put acrylic on them. My toe nails looked so much better. Also the money I save doing my own nails goes toward the cruises I love so much.

But then in December I flew home from my last cruise. I was exiting the plane and gave my carry on rolling bag a little kick to get it through the door. Silly me, I had on open toe shoes and my big toe connected with the bag in a very wrong way. My nail separated from my toe half way back to the cuticle. Needless to say the Captain got an ear full because it was one of the most painful ways to hurt your toe. Also I bled all the way through the airport. I am just thankful it happened on the way home and not at the beginning of our trip. It's been two months and I am still waiting for the toe nail to grow out. I will still do my toes but I will be more careful when I wear sandals. I leave in 30 days for my next cruise but I will probably be wearing a bandaid. Good luck with your toes, Kathy

I'm a nail tech as well, and frequently do this for misshapen or missing toenails. I tend to use gel, but I have done it with acrylics.

Cruisegirlkat, you could have your toe repaired by a professional tech very easily - no need to wait another 2-3 months for it to grow out.

I'm curious about the acrylic you were using when this accident happened? There's a lot of inexpensive acrylics available on Ebay and through beauty surplus sites - quite frequently it contains MMA, which is a hazardous carcinogen that is a very strong acrylic (it's illegal to sell it as an acrylic, but that doesn't stop people making a profit off of it). So strong, that a direct hit is often enough to dislodge the natural nail. Professional grade acrylic and gel has a "give point" - you can hit it so hard before it will come off, but it tends to come off clean... it comes off before damaging the natural nail. But of course these products are a lot more expensive, and often only available to professionals.

Ask a nail pro about your toe and I'm betting they can make it look a lot better in the meantime. I'm sorry about your accident - that must have hurt a lot!

How long does it take you guys' to grow out? I damaged my right one last June and it is about halfway grown out. The left one was just really bruised, but then a hole finally showed up at the cuticle a few weeks ago, so I guess it's going to go, too.

I already size up 1/2 size and get my shoes professionally fitted - I'm going to take back a pair tomorrow that are giving me blisters and I'll ask again.

Since you run a lot of half marathons, I'm assuming you mean professionally fitted at a running store and not just a sporting goods store. Yeah, most recommendations I have read or heard say 1/2 to 1 size larger than your regular shoe size, with a thumb's width between the longest toe and front of the shoe. But without knowing your stride, whether you run in neutral or stability shoes or what, it's hard to say if the 1/2 size larger is adequate or you may need to go a little bigger. I know I hate having to wear a 7 because it seems so big, but the one time recently when I bought 6 1/2's I regretted it and had to buy another pair almost immediately. Good luck - and I totally get the girly-girl thing, I wouldn't be caught dead in my running shoes unless I am in running clothes, although I did wear them on the plane last week traveling to our cruise just to save on packing! :D

Oh my..... with such damage to your nails and them just growing out, you could do serious damage.

Not necessarily. I went through chemo treatments last summer and all my fingernails lifted. My acrylic nails were the one thing I refused to give up. I've been with my nail tech for years and she helped me keep my funky colored fingernails through it all. :) I wouldn't hesitate to have acrylic put on a bad toenail. In fact, the one big toenail that was affected is still half way lifted, and I cruise in April, so might have to get an acrylic toe done myself. :D

Since you run a lot of half marathons, I'm assuming you mean professionally fitted at a running store and not just a sporting goods store.

Yes, and I have been to all the local running stores since I started two years (and six pairs) ago - even some of them don't seem to know what they're doing! I finally found one I like...

I personally did acrylic toenails for years. The problem I had with them is that the acrylic on my big toes would lift and get a fungus :( I wouldnt know there was a problem until I would go to get them done. I have recently switched to using Gel. So much better for your nails than acrylic and looks just as nice.

I personally did acrylic toenails for years. The problem I had with them is that the acrylic on my big toes would lift and get a fungus :( I wouldnt know there was a problem until I would go to get them done. I have recently switched to using Gel. So much better for your nails than acrylic and looks just as nice.

Just an FYI. Acrylics do not cause fungus. The green- black that might appear on some women's nails is NOT a fungus. It is mold and is more easily treated than fungus. Also gels are not any better for your nails than acrylic. Just a different product.

Just an FYI. Acrylics do not cause fungus. The green- black that might appear on some women's nails is NOT a fungus. It is mold and is more easily treated than fungus. Also gels are not any better for your nails than acrylic. Just a different product.

I know its mold. Acrylic lifts and water gets between acrylic and nail. Been doing Gel for more than 6 months now and not a single problem. Gel doesnt lift.

I have no toe nails on either of my big toes. The rest are also ugly. I just buy the "Kiss" artificial toe nails, put nail polish over them and they look great for 2 weeks. I do carry extra nails and the polish with me JIC.......Have never had a problem with them and I can get a box for around $6

I would ask your reputable salon or do the press on nails. I would also make sure and put a good healing cream on the toe as well. And they say heat makes hair and nails grow so do keep feet in socks to promote growth

Last fall, I dropped a huge metal carport frame on my big toe. Yes, it hurt. It also damaged my big toenail. Well it turned black and blue, and finally fell off. There was a bit of the nail base left and the nail lady put a new nail on and it looks great. Whew, I was worried. It didn't bother me over the holidays because I wore shoes in the cold. I wanted my sandals back for my cruise. I will keep it trimmed and it will eventually come off as my real nail grows back.

Good luck!

I have wore acrylic toe nails for years! As a runner myself, my nails are HORRIFIC!!!!! During my heavy training I just dare to not bare them and always keep them covered. In the winter or like now they are on and off, depending on my running! Mine are short and I can actually run with them!! When I am doing miles and miles I can't, but I wear them and I will be sporting perfect little nails on my cruise in 33 days!!!!!!!! GO FOR IT!!!!

Archived